Is the world being destroyed?

maxdancona

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2021 01:02 pm
@hightor,
This thread is ridiculous. That is all I am pointing out.

Carry on if you must.
hightor

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2021 01:14 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
This thread is ridiculous.

No, your comparing it to a bunch of stereotyped hillbillies was ridiculous.
Quote:
That is all I am pointing out.

Not very effectively.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2021 01:20 pm

I think it makes the point in a humorous way. At least I find it funny.
hightor

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2021 02:15 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
At least I find it funny.

Because Joe Manchin sabotaged Biden's climate provisions in the BIBB bill? I think you could have found something a bit more to the point. We'll never meet the challenges posed by climate change if countries keep kicking the can down the road. You realize that these effects are cumulative, right? So dealing with the problem ten years from now will be much more costly than going to work as soon as possible. Since you seem to be one of the people who believes that humans can actually solve this problem I'm surprised that you find anything "humorous" about our collective inability to find the will to act. I'd expect you to be touting examples of promising technologies instead of mocking hillbillies.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2021 02:32 pm
When it comes to microplastics, there’s rarely good news. Researchers continue to find the tiny plastic fragments everywhere they look.
Now, microplastics from Africa and North America were found airborne in the French Pyrenees, 2,877 metres above sea level.

No mountain high enough: study finds plastic in ‘clean’ air

Bibliographie
Evidence of free tropospheric and long-range transport of microplastic at Pic du Midi Observatory. S. Allen, D. Allen, F. Baladima, V. R. Phoenix, J.L. Thomas, G. Le Roux, et J.E. Sonke. Nature Communications, 21 december 2021. DOI : 10.1038/s41467-021-27454-7
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2021 02:37 pm
@hightor,
I think you understand this, Hightor. I am making fun of the exaggeration, not of the issue.

People can take global climate change seriously without these ridiculous, exaggerated, apocalyptic prophecies of doom predicting the evacuation of Washington DC or the end of civilization as we know it.
hightor

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2021 02:52 pm
@maxdancona,
Which of the articles on the previous page were ridiculous exaggerations? Do you understand that these predictions are good faith efforts to chart the consequences of current trends in hope that by identifying them and addressing them today we can diminish their effects in the future?
Alfred McCoy wrote:

This dismal vision of life circa 2050 comes not from some flight of literary fantasy, but from published environmental science. Indeed, we can all see the troubling signs of global warming around us right now—worsening wildfires, ever more severe ocean storms, and increased coastal flooding.

We see this stuff around us and the effects are troubling. But what's more troubling is the inability of nation states to make a concerted effort to address what we know (and have known for decades) to be the causes. It appears very likely that we are simply not up to the task. And you find that funny?
Mame

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2021 03:37 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

It appears very likely that we are simply not up to the task.

Not only not up to the task, but a large proportion of the populace doesn't even believe it's a) happening, or that b) they can do anything about it. There is also the fact that your country is, most unfortunately, so polarized on just about every issue at every level that I cannot, for the life of me, believe they'll ever come together for anything.
farmerman

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2021 04:57 pm
@Mame,
we cant even agree on where to hold a meeting
Mame

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2021 05:14 pm
@farmerman,
Sometimes I despair for the world. Look at the global headlines. I can't even click on them anymore. The Tigray, the Uighyur, the North Koreans, Afghans starving and freezing, the migrants and refugees all over the world. People homeless, starving, freezing or burning up, sick with no health care, no one to take care of or help them, no one to care about them. Bolsonaro, Kim Jong-Un, the Taliban, Hindu vs Sikh, Putin, Xi Jinping, Duerte, Israel vs Palestinian, the Myanmar coup, Nigerian kidnappings...
maxdancona

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2021 06:41 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
This dismal vision of life circa 2050 comes not from some flight of literary fantasy

That is simply false. It is a ridiculous exaggeration of the facts. Like any science fiction you start with facts, then you take the worst case, then you invent the worst future you can imagine.

It is a fact that there is human created climate change. It is a fact that it will raise global temperatures and sea levels. It is also true that some populations will suffer some amount of economic distress. All of this is pretty well spelled out in the IPCC.

The rest of the bullshit about cities being evacuated and civilization crashing, that is all made up.

Exaggerating the science of Climate change is just as much of a lie as denying it.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2021 06:46 pm
@maxdancona,
The most ridiculous part about this thread is that is isn't just whining about climate change. This is a thread to whine about everything.

In the all too many pages here we have had ridiculous overblown statements about

- Population growth.
- Super-viruses.
- Plastics
- Pollinators
- Capitalism/economic disparity
- Food supply.

It is a ******* grab bag of liberal extremism. Some of these posts are even contradictory. You can't complain about people not getting vaccinated in the same thread where you complain about corporations. You can't complain about food supply in the same thread you complain about genetic engineering.

Come on! Pick a doomsday story and stick with it. If we are going to be destroyed by everything, then at some point worrying about anything ceases to matter.

I take the science of climate change seriously. The liberal extremism is what I am ridiculing.

Several pages back, after far too many posts complaining about "logarithmic population growth" (which is a fallacy)... they started with some posts wailing about the decrease in human sperm count. No sane person can be worried about both of these things.

This is pure comedy.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2021 07:03 pm
@Mame,
Umm.... Mame gives us a perfect example of exaggeration. She isn't saying anything that is blatantly untrue, but her narrative is misleading at best.

- There are fewer humans starving in the 21st century (as a percentage of global population) than at any time in history.

- We are at a time of incredible peace. There hasn't been a large scale conflict in 50 years. There is also more democracy, fewer dictators and yes..... that international slavery trade that was participated in by all the world powers, we don't do that any more.

Part of extremism is starting with a narrative, and then selecting news to fit the narrative and ignoring the news that contradicts it. When you look at the news as a whole, we are in a time of pretty amazing peace and prosperity.

There was a recent announcement that over the past 25 years One billion people have climbed out of extreme poverty. I wonder if anyone here pays attention to headlines that are good news.
Mame

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2021 07:51 pm
@maxdancona,
And just what are you doing about any of this? How are you contributing?

It doesn't matter if there are 'fewer humans starving' than before" - (if I even believe that) - we have the ability and means to stop most if not all of it now, whereas before we didn't. Don't compare apples to oranges.

"We are at a time of incredible peace." What?? Where are you living? "fewer dictators"? Uh, no.

"we are in a time of pretty amazing peace and posterity." Ask all those people in the nations I mentioned if they feel the same. Have you ever seen a Brazilian shanty town? It stretches from Rio to Sao Paolo and I have seen it.

You just want to whitewash everything - does it make you feel better?
hightor

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2021 07:57 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
It is a ridiculous exaggeration of the facts.

Um...how exactly does one exaggerate the facts about a possibility which might occur thirty years in the future?
Quote:

The rest of the bullshit about cities being evacuated and civilization crashing, that is all made up.

Duh...of course it's "all made up" – it presents a hypothetical version of the future!!!
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2021 08:17 pm
Quote:
This is a thread to whine about everything.

It obviously is – for you.

It's difficult see how posting article after article of informed opinions and factual accounts drawing attention to potential, developing, and ongoing environmental problems can be seen as "whining". The peevish complainer in this thread is you.

Mame

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2021 08:32 pm
@hightor,
amen to that!
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2021 08:49 pm
@Mame,
Mame, I assume you studied history at some point in your life. I think you are just ignoring it... but let's review.

1) 50 years ago half of Europe was under the control of the Soviet Union. There was a Brutal Cultural revolution in China where millions of people were killed. There were government supported genocides (with tacit US approval) in Central America. Papa Doc ruled Haiti and there were Dictators in many African Countries.

2) 100 years ago was the rise of Stalin, Hitler Mussolini. In the US Homosexuality was basically illegal and bathrooms were segregated.

3) 250 years ago Africans were being kidnapped and loaded as cargo into death ships.

In 2021 we have what, North Korea and Venezuela... you could argue China, but even China is now pretty tame compared to Chairman Mao.

In 2021 much of the world spends much of its time arguing about pronouns.

If you want to continue in this ridiculous mythology that things are getting worse, name a decade... out of the 10,000 years of recorded human history when they were better.
Mame

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2021 09:12 pm
@maxdancona,
You're ignoring all of what is going on right now, as usual, in your bubble-gum pink dream "we're all okay!!" world.

It's not even so much about the numbers as it is our supposed awareness of what's wrong and right and that the wrongness is still continuing, if not accelerating.

You have Texas with their abortion rule. WTF?? How Draconian! You have the previous president mounting a "Steal" campaign and insurrection of the capital. Again - WTF?? This is 2021. You have a f""-ed up USA who, as someone else said, "we can't even schedule a meeting", let alone pass a Build Back Better law. We still have enslaved, raped, tortured and imprisoned people on this planet... you don't mention any of this. DO THESE THINGS NOT EXIST TODAY? Or do they just not MATTER to you? Are they forgotten or just inconvenient to your 'ideological narrative"?

Given that we hope that each year we hope to be more informed and progressive, what I say about this world is it's 1000 times worse than those that have gone before.

Stop your dreaming. Who would want to bring life into this weird, unbalanced world?
maxdancona

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2021 10:58 pm
@Mame,
You are being silly, Mame.

Name a decade in history where you think things were better than they are right now, and we will compare point by point.