The coming Oz election thread ...

melbournian cheese

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 03:45 am
yes, msolga, I am a student, and I don't really think that any of them are really worth voting for Confused which is quite a dilemma. Liberal's appear to be based on lies (more so than normal political parties), Labor doesn't seem to know what they're going to do, and all the others don't really have a hope. And none of them are going to do anything about HECS fees!!! Evil or Very Mad
good thing I don't have to vote yet or I'd have no clue who to vote for Smile
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 04:41 am
The letter I got from my local (Labor) member claims that a Labor government will reverse the 25% HECS increase if elected.

I don't understand how anyone who goes to university could vote for the Liberals.
I don't understand how any parent who's child goes to a public school could vote for the Liberals.
I don't understand how anyone who earns less than $52 000 a year can vote for the Liberals.
I don't understand how anyone with a conscience can vote for the Liberals.

Basically, I don't understand how anyone can vote that worthless pack of lying, cheating, self absorbed, mass murdering scum.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 06:01 am
I deduce you are not fond of the Lierals, Wilso?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 06:07 am
I'm picking up on that too.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 06:11 am
You shouldn't hold it in, Wilso, you'll do yourself an injury . . .

Tell us how you really feel . . .
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 07:08 pm
Wilso wrote:
I don't understand how anyone who goes to university could vote for the Liberals.
I don't understand how any parent who's child goes to a public school could vote for the Liberals.
I don't understand how anyone who earns less than $52 000 a year can vote for the Liberals.

... & I could add a few more to this list, Wilso!
It's all getting to you, is it?
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 07:32 pm
Quote:
They don't have to worry because their parents are paying.
35% or so go to private school so above rule applies.
A lot of them think that if they don't they'll be earning $0 a year.
"The man who acts never has any conscience; no one has any conscience but the man who thinks." - Goethe
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 07:44 pm
A case of I'm alright Jack, Adrian? (the voters, I mean, so there's no confusion.)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 10:16 pm
Here you are. Hope this gives you a laugh, Wilso.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,1658,376977,00.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 06:21 am
melbournian cheese wrote:
... good thing I don't have to vote yet or I'd have no clue who to vote for Smile

What about the Greens? Do their policies appeal at all? They have really big following with secondary/tertiary students here in Melbourne. A very visible & strong presence at the anti Iraq war rallies.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 06:01 pm
Surprised At last!!!!! What we've been waiting for: Labor's tax policy!
Apparently Latham will announce the package at a press conference in Sydney at 1 pm.
I just heard Paul Kelly (author of the article below) on the ABC talking about leaks he received yesterday. He sounded very impressed!

Back-to-work tax reform
Paul Kelly, Editor-at-Large/the Ausralian
September 07, 2004

MARK Latham's tax package will offer both relief and lower early marginal tax rates in a major welfare-to-work transition that will boost the labour force by an estimated 72,000 people.

The package will lift the threshold for the top 47 per cent rate to $85,000 in its third year, offer significant tax relief below $52,000 a year, and restructure Family Tax Benefit A so that it lifts by 50 per cent to $50,000 the income threshold at which the benefit begins to taper.

The Opposition Leader will bring down a package that represents a significant economic reform as well as an election bait.

The themes of the package are lower tax, more incentive to work, a lift in workforce participation and an effort to tackle Australia's worst social evil -- getting jobs into jobless households. For this reason the package contains an independent assessment by the Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research that estimates the tax-welfare changes will boost labour supply by about 72,000 people and potentially cut the number of jobless families -- our main source of poverty -- by about 49,000. ......

(link )
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,10691263%255E601,00.html

`
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 06:07 pm
And, in the meantime, the newest poll results:

Coalition draws level in poll
By Michelle Grattan/the Age
Canberra
September 7, 2004

The campaign's start has been a circuit-breaker for Prime Minister John Howard, with Coalition support surging to its highest this year and the two-party vote now level, according to AgePoll.

This means the Government would have had a strong chance of winning an election held last weekend.

The poll also found that health - on which the Government trumped Labor's offer yesterday - is named most often when people are asked what will be the top two issues in deciding who they will vote for.

The Government's scare campaign on interest rates seems to be biting - 38 per cent believe rates would be higher under Labor. Only 16 per cent think they would be higher under the Coalition, while 30 per cent say it would make no difference which side was in power. ....

(link to complete article)
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/09/06/1094322714590.html?oneclick=true

`
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 06:08 pm
A very interesting few days coming up!
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 06:59 pm
Good morning. I've been reading all of yall's posts and noticed some new
voices. Great.
Our US election will probably end up being focussed on the same issues that yall mentioned above in yours: the economy and health.

Several posts above was a line quoted from some newspaper that caught my eye: "...tackle Australia's worst social evil: getting jobs into jobless households." A Social Evil? No politician in the US would dare to use a phrase like that. What was meant?

Seven more US soldiers died in Iraq today. 1000 by our election day.
How big an issue is yall's involvement there? Thanks. -rjb-
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 07:09 pm
realjohnboy wrote:
Several posts above was a line quoted from some newspaper that caught my eye: "...tackle Australia's worst social evil: getting jobs into jobless households." A Social Evil? No politician in the US would dare to use a phrase like that. What was meant?

It's about unacceptable levels of poverty in households with entrenched unemployment, rjh. It's an "evil" in the sense that the qualitiy of the lives of the families involved, the opportunities open to them, are severely diminished. This at a time of "economic prosperity" here in Oz. Haves & have nots. Why wouldn't any US politician dare to speak in these terms? I'm curious to know.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 07:14 pm
You might be interested in this thread, rjb. A discussion about Australia's involvement in Iraq

Australia & Iraq:
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26122
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 07:17 pm
realjohnboy wrote:
Our US election will probably end up being focussed on the same issues that yall mentioned above in yours: the economy and health.

Yes, indeed, rjh. Education is also an important one here. And I'm sure we have this one in common: Truth & integrity in government! :wink:
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 08:02 pm
msolga: I certainly don't want to divert this thread away from it's primary focus: your election.
With re to your post that bears a posting time of 8:09 PM (my time, I guess) about "unacceptable poverty in household with entrenched unemployment:"
I am a dyed-in-the-wool liberal Democrat in the US.
My observation was this, and only this: Equating "Social Evil" with joblessness (for whatever reason) would not be a choice of words that any politico in the US would select.
In Oz: joblessness = Social Disease
In US: Social Disease = Venereal Disease
Semantics.
I hope that Kerry can move on past Vietnam and talk about the same issues that face the regular folks in my country that yall face in yours.
Back to Australia. What is the Coalition? Libs plus some minor parties?

I hope that Mr Kerry can get past the Vietnam
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 08:14 pm
rjb

I hope he does, too, rjh. I have read so much about who in fact , did what, in Vietnam. Truth or lies? IMO it's a diversion from the important stuff, like how would things be different under the Democrats. That's what I'd like to hear more about. But then, the US campaign still has a long way to go ....

Obviously "social evil" has different connotations in our 2 countries. That's interesting.

The Coaltion is a combination of the Liberal Party & the National Party (formerly known as the "Country" Party.) Both are conservative in nature & at times in the past the Libs have needed the National/Country Party vote to hold government. The Nats are even more conservative than the Liberals & their power base is in rural areas.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 08:31 pm
Hee hee
"In Oz: joblessness = Social Disease
In US: Social Disease = Venereal Disease"

Heeheheeheheheeheheheeheheh hic
0 Replies