The coming Oz election thread ...

dlowan

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 05:40 am
Oh my - Cairns....
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 05:43 am
Deb, I've gotta ask: Did your bunny ears always move, or have you had surgery, or something? I just up-graded to XP - is that it? Anyway, very fetching! Very Happy
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 05:59 am
Lol - new avatar from the Avatars For Sale man!

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34408&start=0

I think I need to go to just the eyes moving - eyes AND ears are a little too twitchy!!!

XP, eh????
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 06:06 am
I may go see the avatar man myself! Very Happy

Yep, XP. A long story, but in a nutshell my computer totally stuffed up Evil or Very Mad ... 3 trips up the freeway with it (to my tech) were necessary to repair it ... & in the process I was up-graded! Much faster than my old 98 program, i can tell you! Very Happy
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 06:12 am
Enjoy!!!!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 06:14 am
Oh I am, Deb, I am! Very Happy
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 05:34 pm
My hangover is worse than I thought! The goddam bunny is *winking* at me!!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 05:51 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 08:11 pm
Something else to help your hangover along, Stilly! Shocked Crying or Very sad
Some days a person should have just stayed in bed!

Howard Govt wins Senate majority
The Howard Government has won control of both houses of Parliament after the announcement of the Queensland Senate result.

The Australian Electoral Commission's Anne Bright announced a win for the National Party's Barnaby Joyce, following the finalisation of the complicated flow of preferences.

http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200410/r34334_85423.jpg

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200410/s1229626.htm
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 08:25 pm
That photo of little Johnny ... <shudder, shudder ..> Fear & loathing, fear & loathing!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 04:51 am
Oh my god, all that nasty legislation that the Libs couldn't get through the Senate before! .... all the enquiries that WON"T be happening, but need to! Ugly times coming up, even uglier than before ..... <sob>
What are we gonna do? HELP! Shocked
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 10:32 pm
Nothing too profound .... just gave me a laugh ..

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2004/10/28/cartoon_2910_gallery__550x389,0.jpg
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 07:21 am
I watched the Glasshouse tonight. Thought I'd share a quote from guest Chris Taylor (from the Chaser):

Australians are very interested in the US Elections - unlike the Australian elections they will have a very real bearing on who runs Australia for the next four years.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 02:16 am
We are F^CKED!! TOTALLY F=CKED! A Coalition majority in the Upper House is like handing control of the lettuce patch to dlowan!

Reforms! Voluntary voting! Instant dismissal laws! People on pensions moved into Newstart to 'find work'! We'll be taking children away from Indigenous Australians next!

Poor fellah my country!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 02:22 am
What is this about voluntary voting, Stilly? Surely you made that one up! Shocked

Yep, the situation is very, very creepy! But we're not going to just sit back & take it, are we? ..... Are we?

Er, you appear to have a wabbit fixation, Stilly. But worse things could happen! :wink: Laughing
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 02:36 am
msolga wrote:
Yep, the situation is very, very creepy! But we're not going to just sit back & take it, are we? ..... Are we?

Till the next lot of Senate half-elections we will have to lay back and enjoy it. Short of a Lib senator locating their conscience and either crossing the floor or becoming an independent, it is nailed down tight.

I was reading in the Fin Review yesterday that there has been a raft of legislation that has been tossed out of the Senate for years. Nice to see the Nationals getting a rush of blood to the head, that's going to last till about March - has anyone explained to the Bush that legislation to sack workers in any business of less than 20 workers will sort of hit the sticks BEFORE the unionised workforces!?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 02:47 am
Mr Stillwater wrote:
... I was reading in the Fin Review yesterday that there has been a raft of legislation that has been tossed out of the Senate for years.

Yep, Howard reckons he now has a "mandate" to reintroduce it all. Seems he believes he has a mandate to do anything at all! Bet the working folk who voted for him didn't quite have this in mind!
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 02:55 am
Yep, their precious 'mortgage interest rates' - gonna be harder to pay off that mortgage when the boss has 'rationalised' his workforce and called in the fellows with balaclavas and dogs.

This nation hasn't gone to the dogs so much as reverted to a sort of wolf-like ancestor. The worst **** is going to hit in July next year when the Senate is packed by the Coalition. Start stocking up on imperishable food items, clean water, bullets and Kevlar now!!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 02:56 am
What we really voted for

By Shaun Carney
October 30, 2004/the Age

Australians gave John Howard unfettered power without any checks and balances.

... Howard has secured unfettered control of the Senate. Presumably, it will take a bit longer before the ramifications of this spectacular achievement are fully understood.

What it seems to mean is this: Australia has confirmed that it has set sail on a new political course, one where controversies over such things as propriety, ethics and honesty are likely to be dismissed - if they occur at all - as boutique sideshows, of little concern to the great mass of voters.

.... The majority did not opt for checks and balances. They want the Coalition to be able to do whatever it wants. They did not want the country to get caught up in discussions about which advice got through to which minister, or whether it is appropriate for ministers to come down like a ton of bricks on the head of the Federal Police for making the simple observation that being a combatant in Iraq makes us more prone to terrorism, or any of the other revelations about ministerial behaviour that sprang up regularly in the past three years.

That is second order stuff to most voters and they are unlikely to want to hear about it during the Howard Government's fourth term. This situation poses serious challenges for the media as well as the Labor Opposition. When most Australians are saying with some force that they are not overly concerned about process just as long as their economic circumstances aren't being disturbed, how are questions of right and wrong in public life decided?

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/10/29/1099028206529.html
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 03:08 am
Mr Stillwater wrote:
Yep, their precious 'mortgage interest rates' - gonna be harder to pay off that mortgage when the boss has 'rationalised' his workforce and called in the fellows with balaclavas and dogs.

This nation hasn't gone to the dogs so much as reverted to a sort of wolf-like ancestor. The worst **** is going to hit in July next year when the Senate is packed by the Coalition. Start stocking up on imperishable food items, clean water, bullets and Kevlar now!!

<sigh>
The really frightening thing is the opposition appears to be totally demoralized & in total disarray, the unions have been so undermined that many are struggling to survive ...
So HOW are we going to fight this assault from Howard & co.?
0 Replies