The coming Oz election thread ...

Wilso

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 02:33 am
Murdoch's paper's these days only seem to exist to bash the labor party.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 02:48 am
Fasten your seat-belts, folks! The Liberals are worried now & it's time to bring out any dirt they have on Labor. Desperate Liberals do desperate things: Fear at the last election. Remember "Children Overboard"? Now we're going to hear about any existing dirt on Latham, since he was 3! I just heard (on PM) that he'd been "very active" with the opposite sex in between marriages!
And I just LOVE the way John Howard refuses to comment on "anything personal" about Latham in the press. Such a decent man! None of this dirt has anything to do with him! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 05:07 am
Man - this is new **** for Oz.

If they start that sexual crap here, I am resigning from the human race.

We have NEVER done that.

I hope the electorate spit it in the Libs' faces.

I can't believe we have sunk that low.

Well, I guess they did it with Kernow, eh?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 05:08 am
Any decent PM would have RESIGNED over children overboard - not to mention so called intelligence on Iraq...
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 05:10 am
Decent isn't in Howard's vocabulary.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 05:11 am
Forgetting of course that in between his marriages, Latham was SINGLE. What difference does it make how many girlfriends he had. It's not against the law!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 05:14 am
Well, he did say (on the evening ABC news) that he'd been quite active with the opposite sex BEFORE he was married, as well! Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 05:16 am
Wilso wrote:
What difference does it make how many girlfriends he had. It's not against the law!

But is this "family values"? :wink:
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 05:23 am
We have not pulled this crap before. Well, unless you count McEwin refusing to allow McMahon to be PM because he believed he was homosexual.

If we follow the US in this ****, I really want to emigrate. I have such contempt for it, it is making me sick.

And - especially with Howard letting other make the running for him, and pretending to stand above it - as he did with ferking One Nation...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 05:31 am
Yes, Deb, it's very low stuff indeed. Which makes me wonder what the Libs' own polls are telling them right now? This suggests that the chips are down & they're going to resort to ANYTHING to win. It's disgusting.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 05:36 am
On a lighter note: I'll bet you non-Oz folk won't believe this, but we have a Mr Abbott & a Mr Costello on the government's front bench! True! And they are not at all funny! Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 05:37 am
Heehee - they complained to the ABC - and must now be called Costello and Abbott, if mentioned together...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 05:41 am
Really? Quite touchy for a couple of ruthless head-kickers! Laughing
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 06:02 am
Oh - 'twas a chance to kick the ABC. This government really is trying to destroy it.

They just don't dare deliver the coup de grace.

Though - Schier was nearly that.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 06:40 am
Well, I actually watched television this morning - something I never do. But I was so curious to see what the Sunday program would come up with, I couldn't help myself ...
What a let down! In-fights, intrigues & squabbles in local council politics .... Apparently the "king hit" episode was about a dispute about flower pots in a Liverpool (NSW) street! Shocked And I loved the way that the "witness" (who verified that Lathan had hit the other fellow first) was silhouetted, because he didn't wish to be identified! Laughing Really!
It really was a storm in a tea cup & I think Jana & Laurie might be feeling a wee bit embarrassed, being associated with this sort of "journalism".

Did anyone else watch it? What did you think?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 07:04 am
I girlcotted it.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 07:06 am
But weren't ya sort of itching to know, Deb?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 07:21 am
Yes.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 07:27 am
Anyway, we won't be having an election on August 7th ... Apparently too late to call it for that date now .... So the next tip is Setember 18th.
<Groan> More ads., more tax payers' money down the drain .... <sigh>
Why the hell can't we have fixed terms of parliament?! Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 12:01 am
From "CRIKEY":

Has the Press Gallery ever stooped so low?By an angry Labor staffer

The past week has been without doubt, the most disgraceful week in the history of the Parliamentary Press Gallery. The entire gallery was so scared of others getting the jump on them they were prepared to engage in a week of baseless speculation driven by rumour and innuendo about Mark Latham, rather than facts. They completely suspended the requirement that only stories that are proven by the facts be run.

So on Saturday we had Louise Dodson telling SMH readers "the Labor leader is yet to respond to other revelations - reports of a raunchy video taken at his bucks' night before his second marriage." So why should he Louise? If I start a rumour the Prime Minister is a child molester does he have to respond to that as well?

The Sun-Herald also couldn't resist smear and rumor rather than facts, "Speculation has focused on a bucks' night in 1991, before Mr Latham's marriage, at which a stripper was a surprise guest".

Steve Lewis disgracefully ran the following allegation in The Australian on Saturday: "One Government minister told The Australian the Liberal Party was pursuing allegations that Mr Latham was involved in an incident during an earlier election that led to an unknown person breaking a collarbone."

So, now it's official. If the government makes up an allegation and tells The Australian then Rupert Murdoch's so-called quality broadsheet will publish it, regardless of the fact the reporter has absolutely no facts whatsoever to back it up. Ok Steve, I am now investigating whether Tony Abbott is a closet homosexual. I have no facts to back this up, but I am investigating it. Are you going to publish it? Thought not.

Most disgracefully of all, Glenn Milne, who himself has experience of a broken marriage and some pretty saucy rumours about his behaviour on overseas trips, repeated the allegations by Latham's wife, and also declared the rumor and innuendo a fact.

"And over the past 48 hours there's been fevered speculation in Canberra about the existence of a raunchy buck's night video involving Latham - and whether that was the smoking gun about to be fired by Sunday . Frankly, this was always going to happen. It was just a matter of time. Political insiders have always been aware of several stories - untested it has to be emphasised - about Latham's attitude to women."

Lincoln Wright deserves a special dishonourable mention for the News Ltd attempt to trump Sunday by again digging into the failed marriage and running one side of a marriage break up as though it were new, and a fact.

Given this new willingness to purse the formerly off-limits area of politicians personal lives I assume the front page next week then will be about the Liberal "family man" and front bencher who rams his personal morals and religion down everyone's throat in Parliament and in his electorate, yet has been carrying on a long term affair with a staffer. If not why not?

This has been without doubt the saddest and sorriest week in the history of the Press Gallery.

CRIKEY: Wow, what a spray naming and shaming the big offenders. How on earth will the papers deal with complaints like this going forward? We bet they won't publish letters like this one but Crikey is more than happy to facilitiate the debate so send your feedback to [email protected] and don't be afraid to have a go at us if you reckon we've overstepped the mark as well.

`
0 Replies