Economy is slowly rising, while work benefits are decreasing

Linkat

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 07:59 am
I need to vent here. As a Sr. Manager I am expected to show a positive attitude and to support company changes for obvious reasons. But this really is beginning to s*ck. First off our company is in the process of a merger. Understandably changes occur as a result of a merger. We have been through them before, but this one is not showing any positive changes at least for the employees. Here is a list of changes so far, with more anticipated the beginning of next year:

Increased weekly work hours by 2.5 hours a week. That converts basically to a decrease in pay by 6.7%.
Bereavement days for immediate family members to 3 days. It used to be 5 days. Imagine losing a spouse, child or parent and you are supposed to be able to go back to work 3 days later.
Supper money - if you work later than 7:00, you are supposed to be compensated for supper. No more. Now this is for employees who do not get paid overtime.
There were several other little items like above, but all were taking away things from employees.

Then I get an email from the director of our department discussing requirements of AVPs on up. Basically it states we have to be available 9-6pm to be contacted by any client whether it is a day off or not. Is that not unreasonable? I have typically made myself available to my employees or boss when I was on vacation if I know there could be some potential questions-that was not required of me, it was just what I always offered. But requiring one to be available to their clients 9-6pm while they are on vacation. It also states my cell phone must be on during those hours whether I am out of the office or not. So here I am on space mountain and I have to answer the f*cking cell phone? Again there are other little things stated in this email that has irked the snot out of me.

How can I possibly smile and say "these changes are great, are company is great, when it really bites."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 727 • Replies: 0
No top replies