New relationship !!! Should I ?

Reply Sat 16 May, 2015 09:41 am
Hi, I'm a 53 year old widower I lost my wife five years ago. I recently joined a support site and have been talking with a lady for the past couple of months now, messaging, texting, phone conversations. We feel quite a lot for each other (as much as you can on line). The time has come for us to meet. The problem is I've have just been diagnosed with cancer and been given 6 to 12 months to live. My children are extremely upset at the thought of loosing me and has brought up all the bad memories of losing their mother five years ago. We are in a bit of a mess to say the least, not knowing which way to turn for the best. Though my children know I've been talking to this lady they don't know the extent of how much, I haven't been able to and also don't think it's right to show my feelings to my children about this lady at a time like this when they are going to loose me, also reliving the bad feelings of loosing their mother..
This lady knows about the cancer and wants to spend all her time with me, a new relationship...my question is should I? Or should I call it off and concentrate my time left with my children ? To bring someone new into my children's life now I think would be unfair to all involved.. am I right ? Your thoughts would be very much appreciated, thanks Paul x
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 522 • Replies: 2
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sat 16 May, 2015 02:16 pm
@Paul0101,
Your kids are grownups, yes?

So talk to them. Explain that this woman is very special to you, and that these are your last days and you would like to at least try for some happiness. Ask that they understand this and be at least civil to this woman; their politeness will go a long ways toward easing your mind. E. g. your kids don't have to like her or the situation, but it is your life and you are going to live it. You don't want to draw a line in the sand, you just want for there to be an easier time all around.

As for this woman, does she know what she's getting herself into? I mean really. If you are being given a hard date (pretty rare these days, is my understanding), then you would already be pretty damned sick. Be as up front with her as you can, so that she has all the facts. And explain that your kids are weirded out and that you hope they can be civil to her. Make it clear, too, that pain and debilitation can make anyone less than wonderful to be around.

And get yourself a second opinion. Seriously. Terminal diagnoses shouldn't be swallowed hook, line, and sinker. Perhaps there's something that can be done.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 06:01 am
@Paul0101,
You need many people around you now, and that includes a new love.

No need to explain to your children. She is a special friend to you at this very time when you need others.

Make every day go the way YOU want to.

0 Replies