Finally some good news

Wilso

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 06:49 am
I started doing 12 hour shifts this week, and it looks like becoming permanent. This is a good thing. I get more time off-in fact on 12 hour shifts I'll get more days off than I work. Also an extra weeks holidays a year. The great part is that with more time off I'll be able to continue to study-I've found a 100% distance degree (in computer science) and I can take the subjects I've already done into it, which means one year down already. The $17000 a year pay rise is f@cking wonderful.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,376 • Replies: 16
No top replies

the prince

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 06:53 am
Ye !! Well done Wilso !!! That is great news !!

Speacially the pay hike !! $17,000 !!! Bloody hell !!! Can I get a job in yr company ???

Congrats once again !
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 06:53 am
Congratulations.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 07:20 am
well done. it's great you can carry on with the degree. Good luck
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 12:03 pm
Hey, great!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 03:52 pm
Oh. I thought it might be good news for me. But good on you.

Now, any chance I could borrow a few bucks?
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 05:07 pm
Smile PatioDog!
Wilso, that's fabulous! I used to work 12 hour shifts a few days a week. Sometimes hard, sometimes not. What is it you do?
Nice raise! Are you with the same comapny?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 05:08 pm
After all you've been through, that's amazing news, wilso!

Best of all is the school news. What an amazing 3 or 4 years (at least) it's been for you.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 02:41 am
the reincarnation of suzy wrote:
Smile PatioDog!
Wilso, that's fabulous! I used to work 12 hour shifts a few days a week. Sometimes hard, sometimes not. What is it you do?
Nice raise! Are you with the same comapny?

Same company, just a different role. I'd been resisting doing shift work again while they were still on a seven day schedule, but they changed to the 12 hour roster 2 months ago, at which point I dropped my resistance. It's four days on, four days off (repeated 4 times) followed by a 2 day on 6 day off roster.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 03:28 am
Good work Wilso you deserve it.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 04:32 am
BTW, I'm an electrician. Working normal dayshift we have set jobs (maintenance) specified by written work orders. On shiftwork it's calls. We sit in an office with a couple of phones and intercoms and when something breaks down they call us and we go fix it. Sometimes it's very busy, sometimes it's very quiet. During the quiet times I can study between jobs. At the moment I just read between jobs-or watch tv.
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 06:23 am
Wow! That is really something! Good for you!
You'll be able to really get the most out of life with that schedule. I envy you!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 06:36 am
I guess I won't mention my fifteen cent raise.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 06:45 am
I wouldn't.

It sounds sorts pathetic...

Well done Wilso!
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 07:21 am
the reincarnation of suzy wrote:
Wow! That is really something! Good for you!
You'll be able to really get the most out of life with that schedule. I envy you!

Just finished my first four days. Now I've got 4 days off. Finally be able to put a bit of time into my house. It is a good schedule. We don't work any less actual hours than anyone else. Just squeeze it all into a lower number of days.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 08:42 am
Wilso
Do you find yourself getting mentally and physically tired at some point in the 12 hour shift? I would imagine it might occur at about 9 or 10 hours. Do you get a second wind to get through the remaining hours?

This schedule sounds like a win-win for you and your employer. Sometimes thinking outside of the box solves problems.

BBB
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 02:45 am
9 or 10 hours is exactly when you start to wind down. But that's because I've just started doing it. I imagine that I'll eventually become accustomed to the length of the day.
0 Replies