How do scientists know that High cholesterol causes heart attacks?

Reply Sun 10 May, 2015 12:12 pm
When a person dies from a heart attack his blood stops flowing, so there is no way to see what really caused it. Is our way of life a factor?

“What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is WHAT WE DO.” John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

“When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.” Mark Twain
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,063 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 10 May, 2015 12:30 pm
@Rickoshay75,
This statement you made is not logical:
Quote:
When a person dies from a heart attack his blood stops flowing, so there is no way to see what really caused it.
There is credibility with some thousands of valuable medical studies re forensics and autopsies. Let us give credit for the advances in current medical research.

These days the medical research I've seen is showing less and less conclusively that evidence points to high cholesterol alone as a causative factor for heart attacks. For example examining scar tissue...plaque buildup, condition of all the other vital organs..and circulatory system as well as the condition of the brain has to count for something of an overall view of cause of death.

If in the last 75 years we've gone from a typical person doing hard physical work, to a lifestyle where driving everywhere instead of walking is rampant...the tolerance for physical labor and activity may be a factor in overall lack of vibrant health. IMHO, reliance on medical procedure and medicine is not the answer to overall vibrant health past the age of 60

From what I've read, the overall medical research view is fairly complex...lifestyle, diet, low in animal fats..and good genetics may play a big part in improved health and vibrancy. Diets high in anti-oxidants and reducing anti-inflammatory (cig smoking, pollution, fried foods diet)elements seems to be indicated.

In fact my primary care doctor is not so strong about anti-cholesterol meds he originally had prescribed . Though my numbers are good, my family history is bad. So I exercise regularly and lower my animal fats to near zero..with no red meat. YMMV (your mileage may vary).
Ragman

Reply Sun 10 May, 2015 12:51 pm
@Ragman,
Also looking to the current health status of today's youth: many more children are suffering in terms of increases in childhood obesity, and diabetes as compared to 40 years ago it was a relative rarity.

Looking at youthful lifestyles comparatively today vs 40 years ago , a majority of children of today rarely walk, often drink or eat highly sugared foods and drinks..and constantly use electronic gadgetry/play video games. Whereas 40 years ago, children generally had better diets, were more active with exercise, though TV watching hours were high.

The chances the trend at least in North America will be reversed anytime soon is not so promising.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 10 May, 2015 02:23 pm
They asked Jesus . . . Jesus don't never lie.
Ragman

Reply Sun 10 May, 2015 04:06 pm
@Setanta,
north

Reply Sat 16 May, 2015 03:17 pm
@Ragman,
The research shows that high cholesterol is not the problem . The deaths from high and low cholesterol are about even if I remember right. I'll give you a link to David's site .

Anyway what is important to keep in mind about cholesterol is that your Brain and the rest of your body NEEDS cholesterol .

Here's his site :

DrPerlmutter.com

GrainBrainBook.com
ossobuco

Reply Sat 16 May, 2015 05:31 pm
@north,
We all produce cholesterol by ourselves, some high to start with for whatever reason in development.

Studies vary but I remember reading some, now getting a long time ago, that said personal intake didn't have that much to do with it. (Me, I presume it has some, but haven't read up on the latest). Some people have huge cholesterol numbers and need medicinal help on that, which also may be tied to other stuff going on. Metabolics aren't a singular thing.

Your body already makes cholesterol.

You pumping this guy?
north

Reply Sat 16 May, 2015 06:24 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

We all produce cholesterol by ourselves, some high to start with for whatever reason in development.

Studies vary but I remember reading some, now getting a long time ago, that said personal intake didn't have that much to do with it. (Me, I presume it has some, but haven't read up on the latest). Some people have huge cholesterol numbers and need medicinal help on that, which also may be tied to other stuff going on. Metabolics aren't a singular thing.

Your body already makes cholesterol.

You pumping this guy?

You admit that your not up to date with the latest research about cholesterol , its about time you did.

As for " pumping this guy " ..its not the first time I have Read about cholesterol Not being the Real problem that causes heart attacks .
ossobuco

Reply Sat 16 May, 2015 06:29 pm
@north,
I read about that in the eighties myself, and agreed with it and still do, though metabolism is complicated and scientists have argued back and forth on related issues, not a simple situation.

Were you in diapers then?
Did you show up here to educate all of us?
You so sound like a promoter.

north

Reply Sat 16 May, 2015 06:32 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I read about that in the eighties myself, and agreed with it and still do, though metabolism is complicated and scientists have argued back and forth on related issues.

Were you in diapers then?
Did you show up here to educate all of us?
You so sound like a promoter.

Fifties

Hence I was forced to be aware .
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 16 May, 2015 07:17 pm
They hyped the cholesterol thing for years, to sell pills. But Jesus showed them the way.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 16 May, 2015 07:30 pm
@edgarblythe,
And now he's back.
Rickoshay75

Reply Wed 20 May, 2015 11:28 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

And now he's back.

“When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.” Mark Twain
0 Replies