Working Men's Culture

Diane

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 10:14 pm
I was soooooo in love with Harry!!!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 10:18 pm
Harry was my man in them long ago days . . .

With her one on the pot
And the t'other up the chimney . . .

All day, all night, Maryanne
Who the hell you think i am, Superman?

I loved that old record, and played it till it was all scratchy--and didn't care . . .
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 11:03 pm
No, no, nun, nun, IIII was in love with Harry. Well, maybe still am, there was a NYTimes magazine interview of him about five years ago. Still a very interesting man.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 01:01 pm
This may not exactly fit the topic, but it came up today after looking at Rick's calculations on the variety of A2K'ers.

I saw the movie, but had no idea that the moth man was a legend, and legends are a part of the working man's culture:

http://www.mothmanlives.com/unusual.html

I remember quite well the collapse of the Silver Bridge, and the horror of it.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 04:27 pm
Well, I went to a May Day celebration this year, in the Hague, by the Troelstra monument ... and there were still well over a hundred people there, at least ...

The ones in their 30s, 40s and 50s looked mostly like they were the children (and childrens' children) of the sixties, but the row of older men and women for whom chairs were put in the front - but who all stood up when it was time to sing the Internationale - they were still from when Labour was for the workers ...

The songs were sung by the Struggle Songs Choir from my hometown, and there's a group of twenty-odd people who've been singing workers' songs along with the peace and environment songs of the 80s for two decades now ...

Yeah, I know. Hardly evidence of a vibrant workers' culture. But at least the legacy being respected.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 04:32 pm
Of course you know for sure that something is dissappearing once the intellectuals start picking up on it.

Take the Dutch "smartlappen", songs of sadness - our blues, our fado, even if it sounds suspiciously like schlagers. (Hey, perhaps schlagers are just the Germans' blues ... kinda.) Back when Andre Hazes was a megastar, the chattering classes nervously cleant their hands of it. Now, of course, documentaries are made about him, students flirt with liking smartlappen ... and in the neighbourhood they originally were created in, the Jordaan in Amsterdam, yuppies now live where families of six used to loudly survive.

Related post and thread.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 05:43 pm
I invite ya'll to the cottonpickers' line dance.

http://www.steelfingers.com/dancecity/cottonpickerslinedance.html
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 06:11 pm
http://www.azstarnet.com/azlife/Day7.html

Chapter 7: Little cotton picker
In school, in the cotton fields, cruel `la burra' label haunts Nala

A.E. Araiza,
The Arizona Daily Star
Dolores pulled Nala out of school more often to work; eventually, the fields won out

By Carmen Duarte

Nala's excitement about school didn't last long.

On her second day in class at the Mexican School in Duncan, Nala (my Mama's nickname) practiced her ABCs and pronounced words in English, but her mind also drifted to the life she'd left behind in San Antonio, N.M.

Translations
Abuela: grandmother

Abuelos: grandparents

La burra: literally, donkey; slang, dummy

Gran susto: great, sudden shock

Pollitos: chicks, children

She became ill on Wednesday - probably from the sadness she felt because she wasn't with her abuela. Mrs. Haney noticed Nala's sad eyes. ``Leonarda, are you sick?'' Mrs. Haney asked.

Nala was excused from class. She walked the mile to her family's house on the Foster farm and her heart skipped a beat when she saw her abuelos' buggy parked near the house.

She ran and then slowed as she neared the house, thinking she needed to look very sick. She walked in and got a huge hug from her grandparents.

``Oh, Dolores, you have to let me take her with me. She can't go to school if she is sick,'' Nana Leonarda told her daughter. Tata Florentino smiled: ``Here comes the cow for her baby calf.''

Nana Leonarda and Nala were together once more, but briefly. On Sunday, she returned to Duncan and school the next day.

The school year passed, and Nala learned slowly. It took her months to learn the ABCs and how to write her name. She learned a few spelling words, and her English improved.

When second grade rolled around, Dolores had other plans for her daughter.

She cited the gran susto of learning about her husband's death while pregnant with Nala to justify her actions.

``Nala, you're not learning anything,'' she told her 9-year-old daughter. ``Something is wrong with your brain.''

There it was again. That damn cruelty that made my Mama feel worthless. No one was there to protect her from her own mother and that ignorant belief of the gran susto.

That belief would haunt Mama through a life of hard labor - hoeing, picking cotton and pecans, and cleaning motel rooms.

She faced 70 years of labor. Hard labor. Menial labor. Piecework. Minimum wage. Or less.

In the years to come, she would stoop and haul and clean and sweat so that her pollitos, as she lovingly called us, were fed and clothed.

I don't know how she did it. For a time in the 1960s, her work supported my brother, four cousins and me. That's a lot of pollitos. If anyone deserves a spot in heaven, it is you, Mama.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nala believed she was learning, but maybe her mother was right. She was la burra. Nala had heard it over and over and over again from the lips of her mother.
Dolores began pulling Nala out of school more often and taking her to work in the cotton fields. Eventually, the fields won out over school.

Nala worked long hours picking and piling the fluffy cotton in the rows, stabbing her tiny fingers on the dried husks.

Dolores added Nala's cotton to the burlap sack slung over her shoulder. Dolores saw that Nala was a good worker, another child who could help with the family's finances.

She began telling Nala that school was only for boys because they were the ones who needed better jobs to support their families once they married. Girls did not need school.

Nala didn't argue. Her mother was telling her this, so it must be right. But why were her sisters allowed more schooling?

She was not the only child in the fields. Many other Mexican families, especially the newer immigrants who owned no land, made the same hard choices for their children.

Nala was good at the work, and before long she was given her own potato sack to fill.

It took months to clear the fields, but they were picked clean when the Mexicans were through. My Mama can't drive by a cotton field today without criticizing the wastefulness of modern agriculture.

Those machines just don't do it right. And, she argues, the machines took away the opportunity for people to make a very good living doing something enjoyable and healthful.

Nala, you see, learned to love picking cotton. It didn't seem so bad. She loved being outdoors in the midst of the four winds.

And finally, she was good at something in her mother's eyes.

The following school year, her brother Florentino let it slip that Nala and other children were not being sent to school, and a truant officer was dispatched.

One day, Nala was brought in directly from the fields. She was embarrassed - tossed into the classroom dirty and in her work clothes. She had missed a whole year, and Mrs. Haney was no longer there.

She sat with her head hung low, longing to disappear. That was the beginning of a cat-and-mouse game between Nala and the truant officer.

A lot of Mexican-American parents kept their children out of school when the picking was at its peak.

The long-term benefits of an education often came second to a family's immediate needs. School was not an option for many of my relatives.

The children could not stand up to their parents and say ``basta con esto (enough of this).''

They felt guilty seeing the poverty and hunger at home, knowing they could help. Many simply vowed, as my mother did, that their own children would never be forced to make such a choice.

Nala was bounced from the field to the classroom and back. It went on for years, making it harder for Nala to learn.

Her mother's words - la burra - seemed true when it came to reading. She did well in math, though. And she could memorize a spelling list.

Nala plugged away when allowed to attend school, but more and more, she just picked cotton.

The cracking and bleeding lessened as her hands hardened.

Fortunately, her heart did not harden as well.

Next: Chapter 8: The Lunt family
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 07:33 pm
Walter: I don't think "working men's songs" will ever really die out - perhaps fade a bit - but there is usually some folk/country singer on hand to revive them.

I just posted the lyrics of a lengthy ballad written on behalf of the nine miners who were trapped for three days in July 2002 in the Quecreek mine in Somerset County, Pennsylvania, but *%*$* , I hit the wrong key and lost my post. I don't know if the song was heard throughout the United States, but it was very popular in Pennsylvania that year.

Another great working man's song is "Dark as a Dungeon" which can still be found on a number of CD's. It was written in the 40s by Merle Travis and revived by Tennessee Ernie Ford in the 50s. Dolly Parton, Harry Belafonte and Jerry Garcia also have made recordings.

"Come all you young fellows so young and so fine
And seek not your fortune way down in the mine
It will form like a habit and seep in your soul
Till the stream of your blood flows as black as the coal

It's dark as a dungeon and damp as the dew
The danger is doubled and the pleasures are few
Where the rain never falls and the sun never shines
It's dark as a dungeon way down in the mine

There's many a man I have seen in my day
Who lived just to labor his whole life away
Like the fiend with his dope and the drunkard his wine
A man can have lust for the lure of the mine