Have you ever got a pain....

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 11:22 am
in your chest, and everytime you breath it hurts like hell. It almost feel like a muscle spasm or something under the rib cage that effects your breathing? I've been getting them every so often ever since I was a little kid. It just started again yesterday, and it's still the same today. I was just wondering if anyone has had this feeling before, and what could possibly be causing it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,827 • Replies: 21
No top replies

Letty

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 11:31 am
Hey, stand up. I had that feeling when I had a gall bladder attack, but you observed that you had it as a child. Could be pleurisy.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 11:40 am
When you experience this pain, is it ever accompanied by a fever? Does activity precipitate an attack? What has your doctor told you about this pain...if you have ever discussed it with him/her.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 11:46 am
No, I didn't notice any fever, I do kinda feel a bit light headed though. And no, havn't been to a doc yet, but I might this time, I can't remember it ever lasting 2 days, maybe i'll wait and see if it happens tommorow, then i'll go see the doc.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 12:06 pm
A sharp pain for two days? Get thee to thy doctor. Go!
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 01:19 pm
Please get yourself to the doctor ASAP! Even if the pain subsides, this is a condition that a doctor should be made aware of. I'm not trying to alarm you, but delaying medical attention could result in something not good happening to you.

Now see the doctor or go to an emergency room if you have to. Please keep us informed as to your condition. Now get yourself to the doc...that's an order!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 02:00 pm
Go see the doctor. Also, if you haven't ever seen one, go to a chiropractor. You may have ribs out of alignment.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 02:08 pm
I have went to a chiropracter, plenty of times. I used to go once a week when I was 11, then once every two weeks, and so on, now I just don't bother. The pain isn't that bad now. I do notice now though that my shoulder blade kinda hurts, but it's probably not related. I gotta work in 20 minutes, so the doc will have to wait till tommorow.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 02:15 pm
Osteopath, stand up. They can do everything a MD. does and more, plus they can write scripts.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 02:21 pm
Letty has a good suggestion. Also, a lot of that sort of pain can be related to extreme muscle tension as well. Get regular massage from an RMT. My wife does that, and it works wonders.
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 04:52 pm
Do you have an anxiety disorder?
Often, it is accompanied by physical symptoms like those.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 06:22 pm
cavfancier wrote:
Go see the doctor. Also, if you haven't ever seen one, go to a chiropractor. You may have ribs out of alignment.

That's an interesting suggestion, as I could also postulate that the incidents were related to arthritis. But, not knowing the age, medical condition or medical history of the patient, no absolute conclusion can be reached.

Best to see an MD, as soon as possible. If the signs worsen, I'd call 911 and take an ambulance to an ER.

Have you ever had asthma, by any chance?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 06:23 pm
Letty wrote:
Osteopath, stand up. They can do everything a MD. does and more, plus they can write scripts.

I'd personally NOT go to an Osteopath. I'd go to an American educated MD. That's me.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 08:23 pm
In this part of America, M.D.s and D.O.s (osteopaths) are interchangeable. They're both on staff at all the hospitals and refer patients to each other constantly.

My regular doctor is a D.O., and has been on the State Medical Review Board for years, where he evaluates the work of M.D.s regularly.

One is not better trained than the other...it is merely a different approach. Personally, I have found my doctor's approach much more sensible than M.D.s who often only treat the immediate complaint. He asks questions about a wide variety of lifestyle issues, recent changes & stresses, etc. along with the troublesome symptoms. This has resulted in more informed diagnoses. In addition to the standard medical tests, X-rays, etc., he is also trained in many of the areas that chiropractors emphasize. I've found it all adds up to a more complete outlook.

My D.O. has literally saved my life several times by asking questions and pursuing issues that most M.D.s wouldn't bother with. He's the best.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 09:27 pm
I think I get something like that occasionally. The shoulder blade pain is duller and the chest pain is sharp and happens on the inhale? I mentioned it to my mother and she said to try this: sit up straight, take as deep a breath as you can stand, and breath out hard. Don't just empty your lungs, drive all the air out by driving up your diaphram muscle. That takes care of the chest pains. The shoulder blade takes time, stretching and muscle relaxants.

That is if what you have is, indeed, what I get. I agree with the others, tell your MD about it sooner than later.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 03:58 am
Eva, DO's do the holistic bit, but my son is a DO, so guess I'm slightly biased. Best doctor that I have seen because he took time to talk to his patients.

LittleK, that was good advice from your mom. Tried to use that technique to quit smoking, one time. Let's hope that stand up will be okay.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 08:28 am
Eva wrote:
In this part of America, M.D.s and D.O.s (osteopaths) are interchangeable. They're both on staff at all the hospitals and refer patients to each other constantly.

My regular doctor is a D.O., and has been on the State Medical Review Board for years, where he evaluates the work of M.D.s regularly.

One is not better trained than the other...it is merely a different approach. Personally, I have found my doctor's approach much more sensible than M.D.s who often only treat the immediate complaint. He asks questions about a wide variety of lifestyle issues, recent changes & stresses, etc. along with the troublesome symptoms. This has resulted in more informed diagnoses. In addition to the standard medical tests, X-rays, etc., he is also trained in many of the areas that chiropractors emphasize. I've found it all adds up to a more complete outlook.

My D.O. has literally saved my life several times by asking questions and pursuing issues that most M.D.s wouldn't bother with. He's the best.

I'm very happy for your success with an osteopath. In the USA, that profession is not regarded by most, as being comparable to an M.D. I for one, would never visit an osteopath, instead preferring to consult an M.D.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 11:02 am
littlek wrote:
I think I get something like that occasionally. The shoulder blade pain is duller and the chest pain is sharp and happens on the inhale? I mentioned it to my mother and she said to try this: sit up straight, take as deep a breath as you can stand, and breath out hard. Don't just empty your lungs, drive all the air out by driving up your diaphram muscle. That takes care of the chest pains. The shoulder blade takes time, stretching and muscle relaxants.

That is if what you have is, indeed, what I get. I agree with the others, tell your MD about it sooner than later.

That is exactly what i'm feeling littlek, and thanks, i'll try that.

I hate to have to go to the doctor, but I have to go there anyway. Needle time. What fun! Thanks for all the comments!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 05:18 pm
Miller wrote:
Eva wrote:

I'm very happy for your success with an osteopath. In the USA, that profession is not regarded by most, as being comparable to an M.D. I for one, would never visit an osteopath, instead preferring to consult an M.D.

I AM in the USA, Miller. Tulsa, Oklahoma...right in the center. Confused

No one here makes much of a distinction between the two. They're held to the same AMA and state standards. Once upon a time, it was an inferior degree. Not so today. The medical group that my doctor is affiliated with (subsidiary of a major hospital) contains both M.D.s and D.O.s on staff...they all see each other's patients, and the charges are the same.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 05:23 pm
You know, Eva and all. We must learn to look past what is acknowledged as being "reputable" and find what works for us...and in the end, that is really all that matters, is it not?
0 Replies