What are the differences between "They are from the north" and "They come from the north."?

joydada

Reply Thu 7 May, 2015 08:59 pm
They are from the north.
They come from the north.

I am a little bit confused of the above sentences. What are the differences between them. If I wanna express, "they were born and raised in the north",how to express it? If I just wanna say, "they were born and raised in the south,but they just come back from the north",can we use the above sentences?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 593 • Replies: 1
No top replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 7 May, 2015 10:51 pm
@joydada,
"They are from the north" means that the group you're referring to originate from the north.

"They come from the north" means that the group you're referring to arrived from the north.

Neither of the first two sentences are as exact as the sentence, "they were born and raised in the north".

Neither of the first two sentences are as exact as the sentence, "they were born and raised in the south, but they just came back from the north."
0 Replies