omission of subject

Reply Wed 6 May, 2015 10:42 am
"The specific requirements differ for each of the distinct dye processing procedures and end uses. For example, the reduction of dye particle size during cake grinding does not require the dispersing agent to adsorb as strongly to the particles as is required when batch dyeing."

What is the subject of auxiliary verb "is" in "as is required when batch dyeing."? How to recognise this subject? Please tell me when this type of omission of subject occurs usually.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 474 • Replies: 3
No top replies

neologist

Reply Wed 6 May, 2015 12:59 pm
@Nousher Ahmed,
Reduction
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Wed 6 May, 2015 04:23 pm
@Nousher Ahmed,
Nousher Ahmed wrote:

"The specific requirements differ for each of the distinct dye processing procedures and end uses. For example, the reduction of dye particle size during cake grinding does not require the dispersing agent to adsorb as strongly to the particles as is required when batch dyeing."

What is the subject of auxiliary verb "is" in "as is required when batch dyeing."? How to recognise this subject? Please tell me when this type of omission of subject occurs usually.

Adsorbing strongly to the particles is required when batch drying.

Simplified example:
The driver did not keep tightly to the inside lane as is required when Formula One racing.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 24 May, 2015 03:50 pm
@Nousher Ahmed,
Ahmed I'd have deleted the "is" altogether
0 Replies