Is this a fragment?

Reply Tue 5 May, 2015 09:27 am
I've come across this sentence (from a guitar instructional book):

In bar 8, the bend on the G string is released and then re-bent, followed by a two-step bend, from C to E, in bar 9.

Now … I don’t know the technical term for the structure that’s happening after the second comma, but I know I never like this type of sentence. I don’t know why, but it just seems as though the second part is not properly connected to the first part. If you simplify it, you basically get this:

In bar 8, the bend is released, followed by a two-step bend.

That second part sounds like a fragment to me. It seems as though it should actually be:

In bar 8, the bend is released AND followed by a two-step bend.

This sounds better to me:

In bar 8, the bend on the G string is released, re-bent, and then followed by a two-step bend from C to E in bar 9.

Does that sound better to you?

This is one of those hard-to-pinpoint structures that I come across sometimes. What’s happening in the original sentence? It seems like a fragment to me. Am I wrong?

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 386 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Ionus

Reply Tue 5 May, 2015 09:48 am
@Famous Beagle,
It is quite common for instructions to mutilate the English language . Your analysis is correct as is your rewrite . It is actually a sentence in the first part followed in the second part by a fragment that is missing a verb . Just putting a verb in the second part will do wonders but I think it would be better as two sentences . eg.
In bar 8, the bend on the G string is released and then re-bent .
In bar 9, it is a two step bend from C to E .

I hope that still makes musical sense because it is grammatically correct at least . Smile
0 Replies