a cold pizza talk

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 01:47 am
A: Is this a cold pizza talk or a leftover meatloaf talk?
B: Well, neither.

What I guessed:

A cold pizza talk = a talk on the pointless topics;
A leftover meatloat talk = a talk on some old stories

Right?

=========================================
Yellow aspergillus?

The name of an aspergillus that exists in rice when the rice got mildewed.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,075 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 03:37 am
Good morning, OristarA. Today, we shall talk of cold pizza and left-over meatloaf, both of which sound awful to me.

Quote:
What I guessed:

A cold pizza talk = a talk on the pointless topics;
A leftover meatloat talk = a talk on some old stories

Right?

No one can say without having more context. These phrases are not common slang nor idioms, they may be something particular characters in a particular story say and therefore have a certain meaning, but only to them. In other words, I don't know, your guess is as good as mine.
Smile

Joe
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 06:06 am
I'm with Joe on this one.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 06:10 am
Me too. I've never heard cold pizza or cold meatloaf talk. Maybe I didn't leave them in the fridge long enough to evolve.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 06:12 am
I think oristar is having a little fun with us.
0 Replies

Eos

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 09:04 pm
This took a little searching. It's a conversation from an episode of Friends (the TV show). What's missing is the context and some visuals:

Joey comes in and says to Chandler, "We need to have a talk."
Chandler knows Joey to be fairly shallow, and knows that any problem he would need to talk about is unlikely to be really serious, and knows that Joey eats a lot and enjoys food. Chandler is looking in the refrigerator as he says, "Is this a cold pizza talk or a leftover meatloaf talk?" Which is just his way of asking which one Joey wants to eat while they talk.
But Joey actually has a real problem this time, and replies "Well, neither."
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 09:10 pm
Gee, I've really missed these lessons in English.

I'm sure glad that Eos figured out where the phrases came from. I'm surprised that you watch Friends, Oristar. Good show, but you could get into trouble using it to learn English.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 09:12 pm
Damn! That's some good detective work, Eos.

Obviously our friend, Oristar, was watching "Friends" and became confused by that conversational tidbit.

Your research skills have solved the mystery and yet Oristar never returned to thank you.

So, I'll do that in her stead: Thank you, Eos.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 09:20 pm

Quote:
TORONTO - The days may be so numbered for Chandler, Monica and the rest of the gang on the final season of the hit U.S. sitcom, "Friends", but they may have left a lasting imprint on contemporary English, with their perpetual use of "so" -- as in "so cool."

A study by researchers at the University of Toronto suggests the language used in the popular television show both reflected and influenced speaking trends.

<snip>

Quote:
Co-author Roberts spent a year going through transcripts from each episode of the first eight seasons of "Friends", taking note of every single adjective for the study.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 09:23 pm
If you're interested in linguistics, proz.com is an interesting place to follow discussions. (it's where i tracked down the reference to the article above, which i recalled from earlier this year)
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 10:54 pm
Hi all!

I'm back Gus. Very Happy

Thank Eos for his excellent reply, also thank others.
0 Replies