What is the top 20 friendliest American cities?

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2007 12:04 pm
bored and cold, WELCOME to A2K. You might just have something about Chicago, but I'm also sure there are many in Chicago who are lonely and bored. I would thnk that a city like Orlando, home to Disneyworld would be one of the friendliest.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2007 12:27 pm
I have always found NYC to be very friendly
0 Replies

kse

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 02:24 pm
Go to Milwaukee
I grew up in a suburb of Milwaukee called Greendale. It wasn't great then but has since become the best little midwest tcommunity! There is the heart of the town that they refer to as "the village" and it is well-kept, very friendly, great schools, low crime. IThere is always something to do there. In the village you can find some (small) townhouses for under $150,000. They are called "originals" because they were built in the 30's when the town was built and the village is protective of how things are done with them. There is a main street with shops and a library and the community chips in with all the beautiful flowers throughout the village in the summer. Larger single homes on the outskirts are in the $200-$300,000 range. Close to metro Milwaukee and a great mall nearby.

We're looking at Arizona, however, for the weather and we have friends there who say it's also very friendly and lower cost living. Where I live near Madison, WI it is getting ridiculously expensive.
0 Replies

kse

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 04:40 pm
Friendliest cities
Somehow my comment got posted in the wrong section about Milwaukee. That was supposed to go in another thread about best places to live or something.

But anyway, friendliest by my estimation really is Milwaukee, maybe not so much in the downtown area but all around a brewski and a bratwurst and a smile gets you in. And don't forget to join a bowling league. That's like rule number one, especially on the south side :wink: .

Maybe Jimbob what's his name should relocate there. I'm a little further west of Milwaukee near the Kettle Moraine forest if you're into hiking and stuff. A few dozen corn fields, a couple shops, a golf course, and a very friendly population.

D.C. I found to be less than friendly.
0 Replies

elainedelekta

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 11:54 am
I've lived in several cities for years and friendliness has to be judged one on one. The environment can affect how people behave. In downtown (Anytown), people are hurrying to work or lunch or home and socializing is low on their list. 'Burbs tend to be more laid back unless they are trendy suburbs. Rural places are the most humane, but nosier. It's a village, after all.

We loved Vermont. People will help you fix a flat, show you pictures of their kids, talk politics and not judge ... even if you've just met, they talk to you like family.

LA surprisingly is very friendly. We hang out in Chinatown, and its not just the shopkeepers who want your business.

Maybe the bottom line is, the attitude you bring is the attitude you get back in return.
0 Replies

lubmuzik

Reply Fri 1 May, 2009 05:02 pm
@Linkat,
Here's the scoop people, Nashville is rated 1# because the survey most likely was talking about dowtown nashville... that would be a melting pot of people everywhere,,, now i live here in nashville area, and the native people to this area suck !!! Sure, the downtown people are friendly they are here to party downtown from all over the country and world, this is the music city.. but go to the suburbs where most of the people are more native , the survey will change... people here will wave at you and from the distance they are seeming to be nice but you cant really get to know someone here... and they are the biggest back stabbers here.... i have met very few people here i would call friends......
0 Replies

bleubleu

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2009 07:03 pm
i've only lived in a few american cities: new york city, hanover new hampshire, and claremont california. i have to say of the 3, new york was the friendliest.

when i first moved to the city (i was fortunate to find a cheap studio in the chelsea/meatpacking district in manhattan), i bought a coffee table from ikea which i thought i could 'carry' back to my apartment. i didn't have a car so i took the subway. the station was only a few blocks from my studio and the new coffee table was a challenge to carry back, but i was determined. as i got out of the station, an elderly woman going in the opposite direction had a small cart, with wheels that looked as if they were going to break any minute. she looked at me struggling, stopped for a second, then offered to help push my purchase back to my apartment. i was a little apprehensive as i didn't want to break her cart, but she was insistent. as we arrived to the front stairs, a man walking by offered to carry it up to my fourth floor studio. i wasn't expecting or even looking for help, but it was offered willingly. this was 6 years ago, but this impression of new yorkers has stuck with me. so new york gets my biased vote as the friendliest city Razz i must say, tho, the cold weather can damper ones mood! especially when the street grid creates a suction for wind to blow at incredible speeds :-/ but all in all, i think this says more about human nature and individuals empathy towards others than the city per se.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2009 07:29 pm
@bleubleu,
One of a million stories of NYC. Thanks for sharing.
0 Replies

kaiharris

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 04:52 am
These are some :
Portland
Seattle
San Antonio
Denver
Davis
Nashville
Madison
Hawaii