What is the top 20 friendliest American cities?

jespah

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 08:31 am
Gee, so 1994 was an anomaly (the one year RP and I lived there)?
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 10:58 am
[size=7]psssst!

Jes,
You and RP can come but pleeeaaase! don't spread it around about Providence. Who wants crowded restaurants and all those furriners from Massachusetts spoiling our little paradise![/size]
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 01:39 pm
jjorge wrote:
[size=7]psssst!

Jes,
You and RP can come but pleeeaaase! don't spread it around about Providence. Who wants crowded restaurants and all those furriners from Massachusetts spoiling our little paradise![/size]

Jjorge
Razz Twisted Evil
I hear the neighbours are pretty mean, too!
0 Replies

traveler

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 05:59 pm
top 20 affordable/friendly California cities
What are the top 20 affordable/friendliest California cities to live in?
Thanks for any information.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 07:52 pm
Affordable and friendliest doesn't exist in California, unless you want to live in the upper tenth of the state.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 12:38 am
What does affordable have to do with unfriendly or friendly, exactly?

(popping in here seeing only the last post, by CI)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 10:40 am
osso, Good q! It does take a bit of imagination, so I tried to locate some deserted area of California that might be a little bit more affordable. Fact is, most, if not all, of California is "friendly." Wink
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 01:00 pm
margo wrote:

Jjorge
Razz Twisted Evil
I hear the neighbours are pretty mean, too!

Oh they're wicked mean...

...especially to errant Aussies
0 Replies

melbournian cheese

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 03:18 am
uh oh, better stay away from there
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 05:40 pm
TX - woohoo.

Most military towns are very friendly too. Not their driving though.
0 Replies

Ruke

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2004 10:23 am
Hi ppl. I'm new here so hi!
Since were on the topic of friendlyness can anyone tell me how friendly people are in Portland(or) and Seattle(Wa)?
:wink:
0 Replies

jcmark01

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 10:11 pm
Friendly--and not-so-friendly--cities
Cincinnati: I used to live on the south side of the Ohio River, in Northern Kentucky, and found it to be very friendly. The north side of the river, in Cincinnati itself, is not very friendly.
Louisville: I currently live here. It's a beautiful, clean, growing city, and is slated to become the next cosmopolitan city like Charlotte, Nashville, or Dallas. I've met much friendlier people in New York, however, than anybody I've met in Louisville.
Down South: Austin, San Antonio, D/FW, Galveston are all extremely friendly! Texas is by far the friendliest place I've ever visited. Nashville and Knoxville are also pretty friendly.
Washington, D.C.: Sucks!!! Need I say more?
0 Replies

jimbobnick

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 10:57 am
friendliest cities
Whoever said there are no cities, but towns instead, where friendliness abounds, would be surprised to know that small towns don't have an advantage. I live in Rice Lake, WI, (8,500 pop), having moved here almost three years ago. Being in my 60s, I expected some of it, but doing a lot of running and biking and skiing meets with zilch when meeting others. NOt even a glance or a wave. I'm not an ogre, but I find it strange that there is no inclination toward even a "hi." We made a mistake coming here, moving from Duluth-Superior. If, however, I were a staunch church-oriented person, bully.

I don't mean to air out laundry here, but I think small towns are basically close-knit. They're good folks, but skeptical, almost paranoid. If a family has kids in their pre-teens, it'll work out okay, I'm sure. Maybe it's an age thing.

Bigger cities have their problems, but you can either be friendly, be private, be anything you wish, and you'll have some kind of psychological support, and with it comfort. But a small town is what it is. It takes some getting used to, for sure. But the clock is ticking, and we'll be looking for a new area to live asap...which is why I checked out this site.
0 Replies

atrida02

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 10:42 am
Los Angeles! I was there a few times, private and business and all the time I found it very friendly. All the city parts seem to be really friendly, like Burbank, Long Beach, Culver City or Canoga Park, no difference at all!

So LA is my favorite!
0 Replies

Persephone

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 07:51 am
atrida02 wrote:
Los Angeles! I was there a few times, private and business and all the time I found it very friendly. ...

So LA is my favorite!

I'm happy to hear that... I'm from L.A. County and am quite interested in others' opinions about L.A. as I'm afraid we don't have a great reputation most often. Yes, there are many friendly folk around here!
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 04:44 pm
Charlestown Boston is a friendly place if you are Irish and on the run from the cops.

If you don't fall into the above category you could try Wyoming.
0 Replies

corgilover44

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 04:40 pm
Maine
I have to throw my vote to some cities in Maine. Kennebunkport and those cities around Acadia National Park were very friendly. Especially when it comes to the best places for lobster and blueberry pie.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 04:42 pm
Lobster and blueberry pie wins! Wink
0 Replies

Pepito

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2005 04:01 am
The friendliest cities I have visited are generally those whose economy depend on tourists for a large proportion of their income. Las Vegas and Honolulu are the friendliest places I have visited. There are exceptions, however. Agra, the home of the Taj Mahal, is not a friendly place at akk.
0 Replies

bored and cold

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2007 11:16 am
having lived in 5 states.....
I hope this helps anyone thinking of relocating. I feel for the person who has no social or community outreach in rural Wisconsin. Been there done that and I am younger with small children. Having lived in Chicago, St. Louis, Columbus Ohio, Northern California and Colorado, I can honestly say Chicago is the friendliest. He is right about more opportunities in larger cities to meet different people. It is not CLICKISH, you do not need to belong to a specific group of people to feel welcomed or like you belong there.
Columbus was extremely conservative, and California was friendly but very scary due to the cost of living and road rage and out spoken people I met. St. Louis has a great cost of living but I did not meet enough people to make a judgement. Colorado is turning out to be a horrible climate to live in and people dont reach out and do mostly sports and not enough socializing. Best of luck to the retired couple in Wisconsin.
0 Replies