Dean Acting as a Nurse

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2004 04:13 am
(I translated the brief article into English. Correct and improve it please.

Dean Acting as a Nurse

Quite often we heard of that some deans of universities said:"I treat my students as my daughter." It is true that he acted like a serious father or a kind mother: he made the regulations that demand his students should sleep enough 8 hours a day, that they should get up to exercise at 6 o'clock in the morning, that they are not allowed to walk in the campus on their slippers, etc.

I have been thinking that a dean of a university is a policy-maker that looks ahead wisely, instructs academy and indicates the great direction for education, not a nurse who pays attention to trivial things like dinners and dresses. But an educator might say:"I would not like to tell them how to do the daily routine if they have learned it well before entering the university. Just because the basic education they received has not been put to the right place, so I, who runs a university, have to do so."

It sounds reasonable. But, why the students haven't grasped how to lick themselves into the shape of the regulations is just because they had been receiving the nurse-mode instructions during 12-year primary, middle and high school educations. If they have to receive such instruction in the university, would it be an endless vicious circle for them? What do we expect on the university education? Should we cultivate a student who always follows other's advice and follows the beaten track? Or should we cultivate a student who will know how to observe and how to decide according to the reality?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 509 • Replies: 1
No top replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2004 07:12 am
hmm... Whether good for them or not, it sounds a bit like boot camp rather than college!
I don't think I like it.
0 Replies