TOWN NAMES AND HISTORY

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 10:14 pm
Brett Harte wrote extensively of the mining towns and camps in old California. His tales were rife with them. It's been years since I read him, but I recall Poker Flat and Roaring Camp off the top of my head.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 10:53 pm
Poker Flat and Roaring Camp still exist in The Gold Country. So does Angel's Camp. I have an Aunt who lives in Sonora, Ca, in the heart of the Twaine/Harte region. There is in fact a town there called "Twaine/Harte". Many of these towns derive considerable of their current prosperity cheifly by dint of their names and the curiosities of passers-through. Memorobilial knick-knacks and quaintly named business establishments with similar themes abound.

timber
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 10:57 pm
SnowFlake arizona high in the mountians is not the name for the weather but 2 men named Snow and Flake, Showlow arizona is named so because the 2 founding men played a game of poker to determine who was the originial founder.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2003 09:26 am
There's a Jupiter, Florida and a Mars, Pennsylvania. Several years ago, I had a friend who lived in Mars (it's near Pittsburgh) and, when introducing her, we'd say she was V___ from Mars.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2003 12:06 pm
During our 2001 summer vacation, we visited Amish country in Pa. Of course, we had to visit Intercourse. I also very much liked Bird in Hand. My favorite has to be Hershey, Pa. It is really called after Mr. Hershey, the founder of the chocolate company.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2003 08:24 pm
In south Texas, shortly after passing through the town of Kennedy, you will come to the town of Nixon.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2003 09:59 am
No need to bring your goggles and snorkel when you visit Beach, North Dakota.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2003 02:34 pm
There are 3 villages in England, all close together, called -----
NETHER WALLOP, MIDDLE WALLOP & OVER WALLOP.

http://www.hants.gov.uk/parish/overwallop/walgal.html

http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?X=430000&Y=130000&width=500&height=300&client=public&gride=&gridn=&srec=0&coordsys=gb&addr1=&addr2=&addr3=&pc=&advanced=&scale=200000&up.x=19&up.y=10
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2003 02:36 pm
FrenchLick, Indiana: home of Larry Bird
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2003 02:37 pm
Lexington, Mass: "Shot heard round the world" fame
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2003 04:41 pm
Speaking of Climax, Michigan, there's Staines, Surrey, England.

:wink: :wink: :wink:
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2003 04:15 am
place names
Cornwall has some unusual names - it was a 'chapel' area and has a place called Praze an Beeble and another called Rejerrah

Ratby near where i live is somewhere i wouldn't particularly fancy for an address Sad
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2003 06:56 am
Tee Hee - I just looked at Quinns list and remember we used to call Stillorgan (in Ireland), Mickey Marbh. Marbh is Irish for "dead".

My home-town was Dublin in Ireland.

I was told that the name Dublin came from two Irish words - "Dubh" which translates as "Black" and "Linn" which means "Pool". So "Blackpool" being the name of the city because, presumably, at that time the river Liffey flowed through sludge and was pretty muddy.

However, while growing up, we were taught at school that the Irish for "Dublin" is "Baile Atha Cliath", but that actually means "city by the hurdle ford", this one presumably named because of a ford that overlooked the river Liffey. So the city/town was actually named twice, but lots of people think the Baile Atha Cliath is a direct Irish translation of Dublin, go figure!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 16 Jul, 2006 09:12 am
Reading through this old thread, I concluded there must be lots more such stories out there. One interesting address I once had was Pipe Creek, sort of near Bandera.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Sun 16 Jul, 2006 12:50 pm
We have a "Licking" Mo...I've always wondered what the citizens are called....Lickers?

My town was named after a guy, in the office of a railroad company back in New York. There was no town here at the time, it was just a railroad stop...perhaps a water tower for the train, and a house or two, but it had to have a name. The man never visited the town, or even Mo, as far as records show.

I've always kind of been slighted by this...

"Hey Jim, we need a name for this spot in Mo, can we name it after you"
"Is it gonna cost me any ting"
"Nah"
"What-eba, hey could somebody gets me a cannoli, I'm starvin in here"

I'm thinking a name change is in order...Stephville has a nice ring to it.
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 04:24 am
My favourite place name in Finland is Ii (The meaning of the word "ii" is lost in history). Most towns in Finland take their names from the natural surrondings like rivers, like my own town Tornio (from Swedish Torneå, which means "strong current river"), or from the name of the first settler in the area (those villages usually start with a name and end in "la", which means "place", so Mattila means "Matti's place"). A few towns were named after the fortress ("linna") around which they formed (like Hämeenlinna and Savonlinna). Quite many Finnish place names today are Finnish versions of original viking or Swedish names, e.g. Rauma on the west coast comes from the viking word "strauma", which means stream.
Unique are the places that still carry Sami names, like Inari. Those names too are usually based on the natural surroundings.
0 Replies

Odin2006

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 09:51 pm
Fargo, North Dakota is named after the businessman William Fargo, co-founder of the bank company Wells Fargo and director of the Northern Pacific Railroad.
0 Replies

neko nomad

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 10:45 am
You'll hit Jackpot NV, as soon as you cross the state line going south on US 93.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 11:01 am
littlek wrote:
I used to know what T&C was called before the radio show, but I fogot. I do know that in that town is Elephant Butte - you got it, a butte that looks like an elephant. I have a picture somewhere....

I found out on NY's Eve why we pronounce Worcester as Worster - because that's exactly the way they say it in England. We held onto that pronounciation for how many hundreds of years?

we would say Worster as Warster

Worcester in UK is "wusster"

have any of you guys heard of Blubberhouses in Yorkshire?

or (god help us) Wetwang, also yorkshire?
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 11:13 am
Steve,

Now you've started something...!

I was quite content with Chipping Sodbury, Cold Christmas, and Oswaldtwistle until I passed the autobahn exit for Oberpfaffenhoffen.
0 Replies