How nuts is my governor, you ask?

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2015 05:24 pm
http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/texas/article/Texas-governor-orders-troops-to-monitor-Jade-Helm-6229568.php

Texas Governor Greg Abbott has ordered members of the Texas Military to monitor federal troops in an upcoming two-month training exercise planned for the Lone Star State.

Operation Jade Helm will bring the U.S. military's most elite soldiers, including the Green Berets and Navy SEALS, to Texas for simulated special operations in a hostile territory. But plans for the exercise have roused fears in many Texans of a federal occupation.

RELATED: Covert warfare coming to Texas

In a letter to Major General Gerald Betty of the Texas State Guard, Abbott said his order was "to address concerns of Texas citizens."

"During the training operation, it is important that Texans know their safety, constitutional rights, private property right and civil liberties will not be infringed," the governor wrote. "I am directing the Texas State Guard to monitor Operation Jade Helm 15."

The State Guard is a militia of volunteer reservists, headquartered at Camp Mabry in Austin, meant to serve in times of emergency or catastrophe. It is one of three branches of the Texas Military, a force commanded by the governor.

Chapter 431 of the Texas Government Code--"State Militia"--reads, "The governor may call all or part of the state military forces to repel or suppress an invasion of or insurrection in or threatened invasion of or insurrection in the state or if the governor considers it necessary to enforce state law. If the number of state military forces is insufficient, the governor shall call the part of the reserve militia that the governor considers necessary."

RELATED: Texans blame Walmart closings on Jade Helm secret military takeover

Officials with the State Guard said they'd been asked to monitor the federal troops in order to provide updates on the progress and safety of the operation, but hadn't yet developed a plan.

"We are always ready to answer the call of the Governor, and we are in the initial planning and coordination phase in response to the Governor's directive," a spokesperson said.

The announcement follows weeks of growing public outcry over the training event. Super right-wing news websites first circulated an Army document describing the planned exercise in March, and since then a broad theory of military plans to subdue Texans and institute martial law has emerged. At a weekend meeting of the commissioners' court of Bastrop County—one of 17 Texas counties that will see federal troops training between July and September, hundreds of citizens turned out to voice fear and anger with an Army spokesman.

RELATED: Texans blame secret military takeover for Walmart closings, secret tunnels

At least two counties, Victoria and Goliad, have seen their portions of the exercise canceled by the Army, but officials with the Victoria County Sherriff's Office said they did not know why.

Army Special Operations Spokesman Mark Lastoria told the Chronicle that more than 1,000 troops would practice "emerging concepts in special operations warfare," and said expressed fears of soldiers in civilian areas "center around misinterpretations." The Washington Post has reported that past military exercises have seen U.S. troops treat domestic territory as hostile for the sake of training.

But it's done little to ease the fears of Texans highly distrustful of the federal government. In a press release, the governor said he hoped his deployment of Texas troops to monitor the exercises would comfort citizens.

"Directing the State Guard to monitor the Operation will allow Texas to be informed of the details of military personnel movements and training exercise schedules, and it will give us the ability to quickly and effectively communicate with local communities, law enforcement, public safety personnel and citizens," he wrote.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 3,075 • Replies: 25

giujohn

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2015 06:31 pm
Where is the proof that Texas fears a take over of their state during
these exercises?

Texas is not the only state to have a State Guard. New York also has one (I am a past member) as most every state has or had at one time. They were brought into play during WWII when the National Guard was federalized and sent over seas leaving no home guard. The State Guard can not be federalized and take their orders only from the Govenor. They also, depending on the state, have police powers.
They are more likely being employed to monitor the encroachment of troops, who while on manuvers, violate private property and cause damage to state property so that claims against the U.S. Goverment will be corroborated and easily satisfied. The german government used to do the same to us when I was in the Army over there. The State Guard would also have the authority to order those troops out of an area without taxing local sheriffs deputies who are spread thin in rural Texas.

Your Govenor isnt nuts...he's prudent.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 29 Apr, 2015 09:41 am
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2015 09:31 am
https://scontent-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xta1/v/t1.0-9/11164759_10153854145172814_6697846331214338540_n.jpg?oh=3d14fb199b4e4f3ad56687796e1595ad&oe=55E39A7D
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2015 10:01 am
Check the tee shirt.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2015 05:09 pm
@edgarblythe,
LOL Razz The governor of Texas is pandering to the most insane paranoia of the Republican Party. People actually believe this US military exercise is the beginning of Obama's attempt to become a dictator. If anyone has Republican friends or family, talk to them. Get them help. This is a mental disorder. Drunk
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2015 05:34 pm
The more extreme the public figure, the more followers, in my beloved state.
RABEL222

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2015 06:08 pm
@edgarblythe,
You have to admit Edgar, the voters have brought all this stupid crap on themselves by voting for stupid crackpots. Either its the water or the schools causing all this paranoia. I just saw an article about a 5 year old who wore a full length dress with spaghetti straps to school and the administration of the school made her put on a tea shirt and jeans because they thought the 5 year showed too much skin. Evidently her shoulders were showing above the dress, not her chest but her shoulders. How is that for stupider than a rock.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2015 07:58 pm
@RABEL222,
I saw the girl's photo. In a less paranoid age, kids could dress like that. I think the more paranoid enough people act, the more contagious it becomes.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2015 11:23 pm
They're building the fence on the wrong side of the state...
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Tue 5 May, 2015 06:22 pm
http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/may/04/chuck-norris-warns-government-conspiracy-take-over-texas?CMP=fb_us

Quote:
'Texas Ranger' Chuck Norris warns of government plot to take over state
Actor, martial arts master and conservative questions US military training exercise and praises Ted Cruz for refusal to believe Jade Helm 15 is no threat

The actor, martial artist, and internet meme Chuck Norris has warned of a federal government plot to take over the state of Texas.

Writing on the right-wing website WND, or WorldNetDaily, Norris discussed the potential for Jade Helm 15, a US military training exercise planned for July and August, to turn into a full-scale occupation of his home state.

Exercises will be held in Texas and six other states during Jade Helm 15, across public and private land. The training has been the focus of rightwing conspiracy theories since a map published for the purpose of the simulation labelled Texas, Utah and California as “hostile”.

“The US government says, ‘It’s just a training exercise’,” wrote Norris, 75. “But I’m not sure the term ‘just’ has any reference to reality when the government uses it.”
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 5 May, 2015 06:25 pm
Ole Chuckie has long said he wants to be president if Texas becomes a sovereign nation.
FBM

Reply Tue 5 May, 2015 06:29 pm
@edgarblythe,
From what I hear, he's not the only one, either.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 5 May, 2015 06:43 pm
Hell, I will apply for that job if it becomes open.
FBM

Reply Tue 5 May, 2015 06:45 pm
@edgarblythe,
I'd vote for you if I could. I have no doubt you'd do a better job than that wingnut guv'ner.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 5 May, 2015 06:48 pm
@FBM,
Flipper could do better.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 5 May, 2015 06:55 pm
Andy Borowitz
32 mins · Edited ·
Obama Signs Executive Order Removing Texas from Nation
WASHINGTON - In an effort to calm Texans’ fears about a rumored Pentagon takeover of their state, President Obama today signed an executive order removing Texas from the nation. While the President's order is expected to face a thicket of legal challenges, an instant poll suggested it was wildly popular, garnering the support of eighty-nine percent of the American people. The harshest criticism of the President's action came from those who expressed chagrin that he did not choose Arkansas or Alabama, while others warned of a new immigration crisis, as refugees pour into the United States from Austin. More: http://nyr.kr/1jTdlr4
FBM

Reply Tue 5 May, 2015 07:02 pm
@edgarblythe,
Heehee...Now if we can just get him to include Mississippi...
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 5 May, 2015 07:16 pm
@edgarblythe,
Hip, Hip HURRAH for Greg Abbott!!!!

0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 5 May, 2015 07:20 pm