reasoning logic

Reply Fri 13 May, 2016 09:08 pm
@Blickers,
Are you suggesting that it is just like here in America or do you think we do not sin over here?
reasoning logic

Reply Fri 13 May, 2016 09:21 pm
@reasoning logic,
Is Bernie an anti-Semite?

Blickers

Reply Fri 13 May, 2016 09:45 pm
@reasoning logic,
I'm saying that RT is the official propaganda network of the Russian government. From the St. Petersburg, Russia,Times:
Internet Troll Operation Uncovered in St. Petersburg
By Sergey Chernov
The St. Petersburg Times
Published: September 18, 2013 (Issue # 1778)

Local reporters have infiltrated a covert organization that hired young people as “Internet operators” near St. Petersburg and discovered that the employees are being paid to write pro-Kremlin postings and comments on the Internet, smearing opposition leader Alexei Navalny and U.S. politics and culture.

Journalists from the MR7.ru website and the Novaya Gazeta newspaper have reacted to a posting by St. Petersburg local Natalya Lvova, who wrote on the Russian VKontakte social network about an interview she attended on Aug. 30 at what she described as a “posh cottage with glass walls” in Olgino, a village in St. Petersburg’s Kurortny District.

According to Lvova, the office occupying two rooms reminded her of an “internet club with lots of computers and people.” Employees in one room wrote blog posts for social networks, while those in the other room specialized in comments.....

....According to Lvova, each commenter was to write no less than 100 comments a day, while people in the other room were to write four postings a day, which then went to the other employees whose job was to post them on social networks as widely as possible.

Employees at the company, located at 131 Lakhtinsky Prospekt, were paid 1,180 rubles ($36.50) for a full 8-hour day and received a free lunch, Lvova wrote.

https://web.archive.org/web/20130922072019/http://www.sptimes.ru/story/38052

reasoning logic

Reply Fri 13 May, 2016 09:48 pm
@Blickers,
Ok so they have a propaganda machine just like us is what you are saying?
Blickers

Reply Fri 13 May, 2016 09:54 pm
@reasoning logic,
We have some individual news sources that are very conservative. We don't have major news outlets owned by the government, unless you want to count Voice of America or something. Our major news outlets are privately owned.
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 14 May, 2016 05:57 am
@Blickers,
Quote:
Our major news outlets are privately owned

Kind of like oligarchy propaganda?
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sat 14 May, 2016 06:58 am
Have you seen the new Hillary ad?

Sturgis

Reply Sat 14 May, 2016 08:21 am
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
Have you seen...?

Most likely not and if if that's what is in your video, then I still haven't and won't be doing so any time soon.

0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sat 14 May, 2016 09:19 am
Powerful documentary

0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Sat 14 May, 2016 09:48 am
Why doesn't Bernie drop out and if he must, run as an independent? His supporters are mostly independents or young voters who are voting for the first time. Not long time democrats. He and his supporters are hijacking the party to destroy it. He has no path to victory and he is lying to his supporters. One wonders why? Perhaps after being broke for so long, having about 700 people giving you $27 donations seems like a windfall. I think established democrats are being too nice to him.

Democrats fear Sanders is undermining efforts to beat Trump

Quote:
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Democratic Party leaders are upping the pressure on Bernie Sanders to drop his presidential campaign, alarmed that his continued presence is undermining efforts to beat the presumptive Republican nominee, Donald Trump, and again win the White House.

Clinton, her aides and supporters have largely resisted calling on Sanders to drop out, noting that she fought her 2008 primary bid against Obama well into June. But now that Trump has locked up the Republican nomination, they fear the billionaire businessman is capitalizing on Sanders' decision to remain in the race by echoing his attacks and trying to appeal to the same independent, economically frustrated voters that back the Vermont senator.

"I would just hope that he would understand that we need to begin consolidating our vote sooner rather than later," said Rep. Steve Israel, D-N.Y., a Clinton backer and former chief of efforts to elect Democrats to the House. "Democrats cannot wait too long."

Though Clinton has for the past few weeks largely focused her rhetoric on Trump, campaign aides say the two-front effort hampers their ability to target both Sanders supporters and Republican-leaning independents that may be open to her candidacy. It also means she's spending time in primary states, rather than battlegrounds that will decide the general election.

Clinton will return to Kentucky on Sunday, two days before the state's primary. She's sending high-level advocates to the state this weekend to rally voters, among them Virginia Sen. Tim Kaine, former Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell and Reps. James Clyburn of South Carolina, G.K. Butterfield of North Carolina, Sheila Jackson Lee of Texas and Hakeem Jeffries and Joe Crowley of New York.

While they can talk up Clinton, Sanders' determination to contest every state remaining has kept Obama and Vice President Joe Biden largely on the sidelines, benching two of her most powerful advocates.

"It all sort of slows the takeoff of her general-election campaign," said Ohio Sen. Sherrod Brown, a member of the party's liberal wing from a perennial battleground.

Sanders' campaign saw its fundraising drop by about 40 percent last month and he's laid off hundreds of staffers. Biden said this week he "feels confident" that Clinton will be the nominee. Even Obama is pointing out the realities of the delegate math, which puts Clinton on track to capture the nomination early next month.

Clinton has won 23 states to Sanders' 19, capturing 3 million more votes than her rival along the way. She has 94 percent of the delegates needed to win the nomination, which means she could lose all the remaining states and still emerge as the nominee - as long as all her supporters among the party insiders known as superdelegates continue to back her.

Clinton campaign manager Robby Mook wrote in a memo to donors this week that there is "no doubt" Clinton will be the Democratic nominee, describing her lead as "insurmountable."

White House officials believe Obama has the ability to coax some die-hard Sanders' fans into the Clinton camp, particularly young people and liberals. But if he moves before Clinton officially captures the nomination, he risks angering those voters and undermining that effort.

Clinton faces a similar calculus. While her international expertise could attract foreign policy-focused Republicans and suburban women, highlighting her record on those issues now might encourage Sanders to resurrect attacks on her vote in favor of the Iraq war.

"When his rhetoric takes a sharper tone against her, the hairs on the back of my neck stand up," said Sen. Claire McCaskill, D-Mo. "I know that can be used as ammunition."

Clinton backers say there's plenty for Sanders to do in his old job - and a lot of good reasons for him to join forces. If Democrats regain the majority in the Senate, he'd likely become chairman of the powerful Senate Budget Committee.

"We are looking forward to welcoming him back to the Senate," said Sen. Debbie Stabenow, D-Mich.

Others note that Clinton has gone through this before and the party was able to unite after a tough primary in 2008.

"She knows this is a long process. It's a marathon you run to the end," said Rep. Xavier Becerra, D-Calif. "On the Democratic side, we're attacking issues, not each other."

Blickers

Reply Sat 14 May, 2016 11:42 am
@revelette2,
I was for Hillary in 2008. As Obama pulled ahead, I got more and more angry at all the people calling for Hillary to pack it in. "Let her run her race", I remember thinking to myself, and I found the Obama supporters constantly pushing for Hillary to give up more and more annoying. After Obama won, I found it much easier to jump on his bandwagon because I felt that Hillary had given it her best shot, she didn't give in, but Obama finished ahead fair and square.

I think the Bernie people deserve to feel the same way. Let Bernie have his run and say what he needs to say. After it's all over, more of them will come over to Hillary that way than if they perceive Bernie was forced out too early.
revelette2

Reply Sat 14 May, 2016 01:44 pm
@Blickers,
Trump is a different candidate than Romney, he will be harder to beat as nonsensical as that statement is to type. Hillary has a bigger lead over Sanders than did Obama over Hillary in 2008, yet he continues to act as though there is still a chance for him to win when there isn't one. Hillary may not have dropped out, but she changed her tone after the KY primary. I hope Sanders at least does that much.

Quote:
Clinton’s own history may prevent her from calling for Sanders to drop out of the race. But she can point to her own ultimate embrace of Obama if Sanders continues on the attack.

After the May primaries of Kentucky and West Virginia, 2008 veterans recalled, Clinton tried to pivot away from a contrast with Obama and focus more on a positive message.

source
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 14 May, 2016 02:06 pm
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Sat 14 May, 2016 02:14 pm
@revelette2,
Well, maybe he should, but I'm less worried about that than I am that too many Bernie supporters will resent their candidate being forced out. To me, Trump is rallying the Right and even making some progress into the so-called "center-right", but he has severe weaknesses that can be exploited. For one thing, the mild mannered Romney won the white women vote by over 10 points. Can you imagine that happening for the GOP now?

I forget the name of the NY Times female columnist who said, "Women will not vote for the type of man they think will yell at them". Trump's in general election trouble.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Sat 14 May, 2016 02:19 pm
@reasoning logic,
RL, I am voting for Hillary because she just might get something done in government. What I see in Bernie is 4 to 8 years of gridlock. What you change the government people should be working overtime on is electing a house that is for all the people, not just the 1%. Too many of you are convicting Hillary without a trial even though you all know your being used by the republicans. But vote for whom ever you want. That isent an order, just a suggestion.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 14 May, 2016 02:25 pm
Assuming I get my absentee ballot in time, I have now not much time to decide, and I'm still torn, for reasons I described. I've got the stamp ready... but not zinging on my choice, whatever it turns out to be.

I read a Guardian article written by one of their writers who is American, but has lived in England for decades, Hadley Freeman. This article by her has me nodding:
http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/apr/23/hadley-freeman-i-like-bernie-as-much-as-the-next-idealist-but-hillary-gets-my-vote

It's not too long so I'll post the whole thing, hoping she won't mind.

Young Americans don’t like Hillary Clinton – she’s the broccoli candidate – but would Sanders get anything done as president?

Donald Trump talking about the size of his genitals during a presidential debate: I should have predicted that. But who’d have thought that young, liberal American women would be more excited about a 74-year-old male senator than the prospect of the first female president?

Young Americans don’t like Hillary Clinton, and young American women really don’t like her. According to a recent poll, 61% of young American women support Bernie Sanders. Clinton attracts a mere 28%. I’ve spent a lot of time trying to figure out whether this is a feminist triumph (they don’t just see her as a woman but judge her as a human! Good!) or a tragedy (er, they hate her. Bad). I’ll let you know when I’ve worked that one out.

The best spin the Democratic National Committee could put on this was claiming that young women today are complacent, having lived their entire lives after Roe v Wade. This argument is at best patronising and at worst completely absurd, unless Sanders is somehow secretly plotting to ban abortion. But the problem is not young people – it’s Clinton. When you talk to Sanders supporters they have the fire of excitement in their eyes. Talk to Clinton supporters – of any age – and they look like they’re at a buffet where the only available food is broccoli. They’re not excited but, dammit, they’ll make the best of what’s there, who’s got a fork?

But I’d like to make a defence of Clinton, particularly to young liberal women. Clinton, in this election, is like a candidate from a different era. It’s not centrism and compromise that get the people going these days – it’s the candidates hailing from the far left and right, who come in blazing with big promises and grand visions. These are the candidates who are deemed authentic, a word used by voters to mean “believes what I believe”.

Now, I like Bernie Sanders. Any sane person with a conscience likes Bernie Sanders. Also, he’s a stubborn, New York Jew; if he had less hair he could be a member of my family. He attracts young people because he is promising to change the world – or America, anyway. But would he actually get anything done as president?

His entire campaign has been built on the promise to break up the banks. But in a recent interview, it was clear that he had no idea 1) what the banks are, 2) how to do this, or 3) what the repercussions would be.

Then there were his answers to foreign policy issues, which ranged from “I’m just telling you what I happen to believe” to “I haven’t thought about it a whole lot.” Honestly, I don’t blame him. This stuff, the nitty-gritty of governing, is boring; even worse than that is trying to turn political visions into actual laws.

Just ask Barack Obama, who aged about 20 years trying to get what someone once called his “hopey changey stuff” through during his presidency. This, I suspect, is why Sanders’ supporters are white and middle class: the ethnic minorities have gone to Clinton and the working-class whites to Trump, because these are the voters who can’t afford to bet on a dream and go instead to the candidate who they trust to get stuff done.

So let’s look again at Clinton. I get why plenty of Democrats don’t like her: she’s hawkish and she is, to borrow a phrase, “intensely relaxed” around big money. She also doesn’t do the big vision, but I actually think that’s a good thing: she does incremental changes, because she is a realist, not a romantic. She is willing to compromise to get a little bit done, and, personally, I’d rather vote for a candidate who promises 60% and delivers 30% than one who promises 100% and delivers nothing. She knows you can’t force the opposition to submit to your point of view. She is a grownup.

Which brings me back to the young women voters. In an election that has been dominated by sexism, no American politician has experienced more in her career – from both sides – than Clinton. She’s “too boring” one minute, “too ballsy” the next. If she talks policy she’s “too wonkish”, if she hugs a baby she’s “too grandmotherly”.

Like I say, it’s sexism, but also it’s because no one knows what a woman president looks like. Clinton is a tough woman who knows how government works, who has been fighting for women’s rights since before we were born and who produces the goods. That’s a good template for a woman in the White House. Anyone who asks for perfection from a politician will be disappointed, and Clinton ain’t perfect. But she looks pretty presidential to me.

Blickers

Reply Sat 14 May, 2016 02:33 pm
@ossobuco,
Great quote from ossobucco's Guardian article:
Quote:
Which brings me back to the young women voters. In an election that has been dominated by sexism, no American politician has experienced more in her career – from both sides – than Clinton. She’s “too boring” one minute, “too ballsy” the next. If she talks policy she’s “too wonkish”, if she hugs a baby she’s “too grandmotherly”.

Like I say, it’s sexism......
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 14 May, 2016 02:38 pm
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
Is Bernie an anti-Semite?

More importantly: is Michael Savage someone you'd admit publicly that you take seriously?
Olivier5

Reply Sun 15 May, 2016 01:10 am
@ossobuco,
I find her argument disingenious. She is basing it on the Daily News hachet job of an interview. Bernie knows well enough what he wants to do with the banks. As for the type of foreign policy issue he's been caught hesitating upon, it was about where to detain POWs.... Ie a detail.

Why the Daily News board didn't ask him where the ladies toilets are in West Point, i really don't know.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 15 May, 2016 05:03 am
@bobsal u1553115,
He takes David Icke seriously. I know absolutely nothing about Michael Savage but I bet he's never said the Queen is a shape shifting lizard.