Alcohol and youth sports

Linkat

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2015 07:12 am
My daughter was competiting in a weekend tournament (local no overnnight stay) - usually there are 3 - 4 basketball games in these sorts of tournaments over Saturday and Sunday. One of the moms sat next to me before one of the games. She said I cannot believe it -- there are some parents out in the parking with red solo cups (we all know what that means) -- she confirmed they were for alcohol use when she over heard one parent saying where the beer was. This would have been about noon time on Sunday afternoon.

She also mentioned another time she was at a local town softball game --- there were parents having a bit of a party of it. This would have been a late afternoon game. On one occassion I was at my older daughter's softball game (8th grade at the time) and one mom brought cocktails to share. I declined.

Now I have attended an "away"weekend stay tournament - and the parents gathered at night for a few drinks while the kids swam/hang out, etc., but is it appropriate to mix alcohol with everyday youth sports? What are your thoughts on this?

maxdancona

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2015 07:17 am
@Linkat,
I tried to look at both sides of this issue... but I think I agree with you Linkat.

This is a youth sports event and it should be centered on the kids. There is often a problem with kids getting alcohol during these events. Having parents indulging during a kids sporting event doesn't help.

I am against it.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2015 10:49 am
@Linkat,
I probably wouldn't participate but I wouldn't really be bothered by it unless they were showing up drunk at the game.
Linkat

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2015 11:26 am
@boomerang,
I kinda agree with you - I am not bothered by it -- just found it odd and possibly just not the right place. At least at my older daughter's game - it was just them having a little and no one was obvious or drunk or anything.

I have heard of one instance --- it was an away tournament where you stay over, that the parents got so out of control, the hotel asked them not to come back the following year.

Some of these bigger venues have restaurants/pubs that serve alcohol. I never really thought one way or the other, other than thinking a fitness type place seems an odd place to have beer and wine.

Until recently a parent told me the newest facility which is in my town was going to open a sports bar over looking the basketball courts. This parent thought it was a good idea (now granted he seems like he enjoys a few). I kind of shrugged - then this other dad mentioned I don't know if it is a good idea, some parents get out of control without any alcohol imagine adding alcohol to mixture...although most parents are actually pretty good, I've seen some and I'd have to agree there are some you wouldn't want to see with alcohol flowing through their veins.
boomerang

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2015 12:06 pm
@Linkat,
It's not really the "right" place but it isn't that wrong either. For some people sports and drinking just go hand in hand. People do often get emotionally involved with sports outcomes and I can see how drinking could make this worse. I'm sure it's really humiliating for kids to see their parents get out of control so that might sway me into thinking a no alcohol policy might be a good one.

I don't think kids are harmed from being exposed to responsible drinking.

As far as the health aspect -- I'd be willing to put beer and wine up there as healthier than almost any of the alternatives like soda, sports drinks, etc. that are served in such places.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2015 02:12 pm
Drinkers are gonna drink. No matter what.

And some don't do events where there is no chance to drink.
And some do events because they can drink.

I don't know the answer; just sharing an observation after all these years.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2015 02:15 pm
@PUNKEY,
Quote:
Drinkers are gonna drink. No matter what.

This is the reason I am against it. I have no problem with social drinking in front of my children... it lets them see me drink responsibly. Part of drinking responsibly is that you don't need to drink all of the time. You can have a drink at a New Years Eve party while not having a drink at a little league game.

0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2015 06:52 pm
I was surprised to see how many parents held beers in their hands as their kids came up to the door at Halloween last year.
boomerang

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2015 06:55 pm
@PUNKEY,
Halloween in my neighborhood is a frenzy for the kids and a bacchanal for the parents.

It's wild!
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2015 08:37 pm
If I had kids, I wouldn't allow my kids to ride in the car with any of those adults who were drinking at the games, no matter who they were or how "responsible" they were being.

I would probably also inform any other unknowing parents of kids who might also ride in the car with those drinking adults so they can make their own choice about their kids riding with them.

When I was in high school, we lost a car load of kids in a fiery flip over after they were out drinking after a football game. Before that, my uncle, his wife and five young kids were hit by a drunk driver and badly injured. They all managed to survive but required many surgeries and metal body parts to help them do so as they grew into adulthood. I have a very low tolerance for anyone drinking and driving, no matter who they are.
Linkat

Reply Wed 29 Apr, 2015 05:28 am
@Butrflynet,
That is a point - I guess I figured there was one parent that was driving and not drinking. I know often times my husband and I both attend so one of us is driving. Not that I was drinking at these events. Just thinking (maybe hoping someone is driving that isn't having a drink).

I know often times now as my daughter is older and working frequently on the weekends, I tend not to have any wine with dinner as I usually will on a weekend night; I realize I need to pick her up later and I really do not like to even have one drink if I am driving especially drving a child.

It is for two reasons - one it isn't a good idea although I realize one drink is not likely to be a problem, but also yt does cross my mind that the kids see this -- in other words, they will see me have a glass of wine and then get in the car and drive - I would not want them to consider ever doing that.
0 Replies