use of that

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2015 06:07 am
After she completes the form, ___ will be processed by Jason.
1) that 2) it

If I don't use comma after the word 'form', I can use 'that'. But if I use comma, can I use 'that' instead of 'it'? One reference said that it will be wrong if I use 'that' instead of 'it' when comma is used. I don't understand why it will be wrong?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 518 • Replies: 3
No top replies

neologist

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2015 05:17 pm
@Nousher Ahmed,
This is what I have to say about that:
It is best to avoid it.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2015 11:53 pm
@Nousher Ahmed,
Nousher Ahmed wrote:

1) that 2) it

If I don't use comma after the word 'form', I can use 'that'. But if I use comma, can I use 'that' instead of 'it'? One reference said that it will be wrong if I use 'that' instead of 'it' when comma is used. I don't understand why it will be wrong?

"After she completes the form that will be processed by Jason" is an incomplete sentence.

What will occur after she completes the form that will be processed by Jason?
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Wed 29 Apr, 2015 12:09 am
@Nousher Ahmed,
Nousher Ahmed wrote:

1) that 2) it

That's the problem with these cloze-type questions. If I think about it long en0ugh, I can imagine some contexts in both answers would be acceptable. Of course, I know which answer they're fishing for, but it's misleading to say that 'that' would always be wrong in that sentence pattern. The absence of context is the problem.

Anyway, I think maybe it sounds a little awkward to use the demonstrative pronoun 'that' (instead of as a relative pronoun) when the subject of the main clause is included in the sentence. In "That's what I think", for example, the referent is in a separate sentence. "what" would be the relative pronoun, and "that" (without the copula) would be functioning as a demonstrative, I think.
0 Replies