Am I Gramatically Correct?

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 11:43 am
I'm writing a letter to newspapers for my work exprience. Please could you tell me if my letter is gramatically correct?
Info in brackets is not for public knowledge.

Dear Sir or Madam

My school, (&*£&*!"*!), in (£"*!£), has asked pupils of Year 10 to undertake work experience, and as I am very interested in becoming a journalist when I enter the working world and so I would genuinely welcome the opportunity to spend my time working in the newsroom of INSERT PAPER NAME HERE.

To give you some background about myself, I am the editor of the school magazine. In this role, I am responsible for generating articles as well as subbing* the contributions of other pupils. In addition, I have undertaken a number of interviews which include two well known authors, Linda Newbery and Anthony Masters. I am also responsible for layout of the magazine. I would be grateful if you could let me know whether or not working in the newsroom is possible. The date of work experience would be BLAH until BLAH.

Yours faithfully,
(&$"^*")

* Subbing = Newsroom Slang For Sub-Editing
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 937 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 01:06 pm
Dear Sir or Madam:

My school, (&*£&*!"*!), in (£"*!£), has asked pupils in Year 10 to undertake work experience. I am very interested in becoming a journalist when I enter the working world, so I would genuinely welcome the opportunity to spend my time working in the newsroom of INSERT PAPER NAME HERE.

To give you some background about me, I am the editor of the school magazine. In this role, I am responsible for generating articles as well as subbing* the contributions of other pupils. In addition, I have conducted a number of interviews, which include two with well-known authors, Linda Newbery and Anthony Masters. I am also responsible for layout of the magazine.

I would be grateful if you could let me know whether or not working in the newsroom is possible. The date of work experience would be BLAH until BLAH.

Sincerely,
(&$"^*")
0 Replies

brimstone

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 02:15 pm
Thank you very much!
0 Replies

brimstone

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 02:16 pm
Thank you very much!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 06:18 pm
Glad to help.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 11:28 pm
Question
Are you seeking an unpaid summer internship?
0 Replies

brimstone

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2004 02:01 am
Thank you. I guess you do not live in Britain. Year 10's (10th Graders) are made to apply for experience in the profession of their choosing. This is because schools feel they need to get a taster of working life.
0 Replies

BaileyStapleton

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 12:03 am
Ah, yes, I remember that. I chose to work with adverts on the telly.

"Has life been getting you down? Well, that's just terrible, isn't it. Life is dull, drab, and seemingly pointless. So, break away from the vicious circle and take a holiday off for...

(dramatic music)

Pleasure Beach Blackpool!"

Dah dah dah dah!

Ha ha, what fun that was. I still remember the sketches I made.
0 Replies