Cats considered aloof

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2015 11:39 am
I wonder if they'e detached and haughty as supposed by most of us

LB jumps up onto my lap as I'm sliding into my outside shoes, apparently enjoys a bit of petting. But all three follow me around then when I'm engaged in yard work: Typically Butters and LB roll over wanting to be petted on the stomach, and indeed the former has actually volunteered to help me dig out weeds, glancing at me in apparent puzzlement while pawing the ground several times

Blacky avoids all contact with the humanoid but it's because she's a scardycat. However she's very close with the two boys (no, not in that way; they're all neuter, bless 'em)

Main reason I think for the judgment is their lack of response to calling by name, or to speech of any sort; contrasted by the dog who knows his name or when he's being scolded

My theory is that that cats are for the most part as friendly as dogs but not as smart, don't recognize the purpose or importantce of the spoken word. Whaddya think
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 820 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2015 12:05 pm
@dalehileman,
You have to distinguish and differentiate between type of intelligence and the social (human or the housed community) intelligence.

Dogs orientation and behavioral dynamics have to do with being pack animals. They prospered in evolutionary process by being social animals oriented towards being around man and pleasing man. They have a social intelligence that runs parallel and connected to man. Man needed dogs (genetically connected to wolves orginally that adapted) for hunting and protection from other wild animals, so they were domesticated early.
Man and dogs prospered greatly as a result of this symbiosis.

Cats are not pack animals. They are curious about humans behaviors but don't have a human-oriented social intelligence. They were domesticated later in development of humans (away from the cave days). They operate as independent operators. Whose survival was more about their self-reliance but close or nearby to human communities.

Domestic cats can survive a week or more depending on whether feral (recently) or not. But if you left the house for a week, a dog would be much further behind than a cat given the same food and water supply.

They've different programming and nature...pack vs non-pack animals. Comparing relative intelligences involves a bit more complicated comparison criteria as you need to test them in environmental-neutral tests. Very hard to do as the testing involves interacting with man and the way they both relate to man.

A domestic cat will keep a home varmint-free. A dog, in most cases, not so much; however, a cat will not fetch, typically - unless it's a mouse you want fetched. And, when mouse is caught, the cat will stack the mouse at your feet or your doorsteps or doorway.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2015 02:11 pm
@Ragman,
Thank you Rag, excellent
Ragman

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2015 03:15 pm
@dalehileman,
You're welcome. The underlying thought here I feel is that social intelligence (as relates to man) and basic intelligence are different.

Take pigs for example. They're quite a bit smarter than both dogs or cats. However, they're even better with breakfast than either dogs are cats.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2015 04:14 pm
@Ragman,
Quote:
they're even better with breakfast
Intelligence of 3-year-0ld humanoid. Although Rag, love my morning bacon I sometimes q its morality. If okay to house porky in a muddy sty, finally hang him up by the back legs, then cut his throat so he bleed to death before slaughter...

....then why not the 3-year-old humanoid
Ragman

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2015 04:31 pm
@dalehileman,
I'm guessing 'cause they don't taste so good. And unless you are part of The Donner party, cannibalism is frowned upon.

Seriously, as for the morality of killing living critters to feed our insatiable appetites is quite questionable when there's already plenty of other excellent food choices which can get us fed pretty damned well.
dalehileman

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2015 11:13 am
@Ragman,
Yea Rag, but nothing's quite so tasty as that morning slice of bacon
Ragman

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2015 11:41 am
@dalehileman,
The tastiest food items are often a problem healthwise - unless you don't consume them regularly.
0 Replies