Media, Children, People

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 10:22 am
Which grammar is correct? I simply don't know whether, or not, to use a singular verb or a plural one:

The Media IS biased.... or...

The Media ARE biased.

The Children IS home

The Children ARE home

The people HAS spoken

The people HAVE spoken
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 586 • Replies: 5
No top replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 10:26 am
Hmmm... I think either one for the first example.
The children ARE home.
The people HAVE spoken.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 03:18 pm
Hey, mark. I came over here to support suzy, and what do I find? A question that I can answer.

Media is considered plural.
Medium is the singular form.

and she's right on target about the other two.
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 03:34 pm
Aww, thanks Letty! Smile
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 03:39 pm
Do unto others, Suzy. You liked my co-op poems, and I like your style. Cool
0 Replies

marklovesportland

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 06:22 pm
Hi y'all,
I know this is long, but I found this at www.dictionary.com... is makes the usage of words (like MEDIA) complex, but interesting.

Usage Note: The etymologically plural form media is often used as a singular to refer to a particular means of communication, as in The Internet is the most exciting new media since television. Many people regard this usage as incorrect, preferring medium in such contexts. ·People also use media with the definite article as a collective term to refer not to the forms of communication themselves so much as the communities and institutions behind them. In this sense, the media means something like "the press." Like other collective nouns, it may take a singular or plural verb depending on the intended meaning. If the point is to emphasize the multifaceted nature of the press, a plural verb may be more appropriate: The media have covered the trial in a variety of formats. Frequently, however, media stands as a singular noun for the aggregate of journalists and broadcasters: The media has not shown much interest in covering the trial. This development of a singular media parallels that of more established words such as data and agenda, which are also Latin plurals that have acquired a singular meaning. ·The singular medium cannot be used as a collective noun for the press. The sentence No medium has shown much interest in covering the issue, would suggest that the lack of interest is in the means of communication itself rather than in its practitioners.
0 Replies