panzade

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 09:48 pm
I'd say they were hostesses.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 10:28 pm
All right, all right.

Are they called Miss Etiquette?
(They were in a meeting, not serving in a hotel, restaurant etc.)

http://www.mxyy.net/pic/000005.jpg
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 09:15 am
I call them "Very Hot Chinese Babes".
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 09:33 am
NickFun wrote:
I call them "Very Hot Chinese Babes".

Okay, okay, as you wish!

But don't forget tell me the formal courteous term!
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 10:36 am
Courtesy? Not much left of that these days. Ori, how about calling them Miss Hospitality?
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 10:47 am
(panzade-clever!)

oristar, my first guess is that these women are beauty pageant contestants.

Second guess: fashion models.
0 Replies

Eos

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 04:35 pm
Oristar, we need a little more information. They were in a "meeting"? What kind of meeting? Why are they all dressed the same? Why are they wearing sashes, and what do the sashes say? Why are they all lined up like that? Who are these people?
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 08:26 pm
They are in a Communist Country. If we told you anymore we would be subject to arrest and imprisonment for many years. Sorry.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2004 12:24 am
Eos, A meeting, such as a celebration meeting for achievements gained. It seems that is a custom, like that of hostesses, used to dress the same uniform, and the sash might just say "Celebration Meeting" -- for example, the sashes of the two girls in the first pic of this thread said: Songji Mainboard; because they were in a computer expo in China, the sashes actually have become the ad banner of the manufacturer Songji! Why did they line up? They have to meet the demand of their boss! LOL! Who are these people? I think Nick-Fun has indicated: they are in a communist nation and because they are dressed in this way, so they might be corrupt communists -- that is, they have become the captives of capitalism. Laughing Razz
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 08:28 am
I'm more concerned about the fact that it's seen as the role of women to turn up, look good and say nothing - apart from the corporate slogan.

What percentage of female delegates to such a conference would care about having these women hanging around?
0 Replies

Eos

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 08:40 pm
I can't speak for their country, of course, but over here the employees of a computer company who are attending a conference or expo do not go to the trouble of buying matching gowns to wear. Neither are there generally so many attractive young women in a computer company. And what does etiquette have to do with it?
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 11:28 pm
English language expert in China recommends this version:

ritual girl

Do you feel proper? Smile
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 03:50 am
"ritual" implies cult or religious activity, out of context - as if they were being sacrificed, or something!

I think the clearest term, to a native English speaker, would be "hostess" - they are there to "host" the show, not participate actively in it, right?
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 04:29 am
kitchenpete wrote:
"ritual" implies cult or religious activity, out of context - as if they were being sacrificed, or something!

You've taken the words out of my mouth.
The Chinese expert has made a mistake.

But I felt that "hostess" has too many definitions, such as a female boss, a dancer etc...
0 Replies