Difficult Words

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 05:46 am
The interpreters of Today Translations, based in London, have made a top-10 of most difficult words to translate. Sadly, I only know the first 7, I hope I can find an internetsite with all 10. Here is the top-7:

At 7: 'saudade', Portuegese, can be described as a certain sort of longin.

At 6: 'gezellig', Dutch, enjoyable, pleasant, entertaining, comfortable, cheerful, this all mixed (vague, I know)

At 5: 'altahmam', Arabic, as our newspaper explains it 'the sort of deep distress our eastern neighbors [the Germans, they were eliminated in the EC contest] are seized in these days'.

At 4: 'naa', Japanese, a sort of sound the Japanese produce to emphasize something or to express their approval of something.

At 3: 'radioukacz', Russian, the name for someone in the former Soviet controlled Europe who worked as a telegrapher for the resistance.

At 2: 'schlimazl', Yiddish, the name for 'chronical bad luck'.

At 1: 'ilunga', Tshiluba (African language), can be translated as 'someone who is prepared to forgive an insult the first time, who will tolerate a second insult but who will never forgive nor tolerate a third insult'.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,645 • Replies: 36
No top replies

thehamster

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 06:20 am
Hehe I like "schlimazl"...guess you need to know German for that one to understand :-D
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 06:24 am
Yiddish is basically a Jewish dialect of German, with it's own peculiarities, of course.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 06:39 am
It's not 'just' a German dialect though. It has imported many words from other languages, especially from Russian and Polish. There are also different dialects in Yiddish itself. Besides that, nowadays there is also something called 'Ameridish', Yiddish in the US, which has unique features too.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 07:02 am
True Rick. I grew up with Yiddish speakers, but never really learned it myself. My brother is far more qualified to comment on this, being a linguist and all.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 07:05 am
I do think Yiddish is a real funny language, with all their "mishpoches" (I probably don't write it correctly), "tugusses" and "nuchschleps" Very Happy
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 07:07 am
Aside alert...

Rick, why does yr avtaar remind me of a syringe with a condom Laughing

(sorry, bad joke - I know)
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 07:10 am
Ehhh... Embarrassed

This avatar comes from a TV campaign here in the Netherlands; symbols warn you for the content of certain programmes. This one is I-don't-know, for drugabuse I guess (not that I am a drugabuser, or at least, that's what I think); you also have warnings for "sex", "discrimination", "swearing" etc.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 07:12 am
I'd love to get the one warning abt sex - I will print it on a shirt and wear it all the time Twisted Evil
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 07:12 am
There is a tongue twister when spoken in a certain Arabic dialect, or Coptic maybe, or hell maybe it's Tagalog, whatever, when the tongue twister is spoken in that language it is supposedly the most difficult sequence of words to utter coherently.

The tongue twister is...

The sixth sick sheik's sixth sheep's sick.

I'm sorry I forgot the language.

That is my contribution to this thread.

Carry on.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 07:14 am
You would know from sheiks and sick sheep gus. I do remember that tongue twister though. It's best spoken under heavy sedation.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 07:24 am
Gautum, look at my avatar.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 07:29 am
This Rick guy is one sick puppy.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 07:30 am
Rick, be careful - gus has got the hots for you Laughing

Well, the missionary position depicted by yr avtaar is not only boring - it is very difficult for a gay man Twisted Evil

Try again.... Laughing
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 07:35 am
How the hell did I get caught in this crossfire?
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 07:36 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
This Rick guy is one sick puppy.

I did not have a sexual relationship with that woman, miss.... Oh wait.

I mean: sick puppy? I was doing Gautum only a favor, he's the sick puppy here (no offense Gautum)

Gautum wrote:
Rick, be careful - gus has got the hots for you

Confused

Sorry Gautum, I do not think I can find an avatar 1,2,3 which is satisfying for you.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 07:38 am
We're about to embark on a thread that crosses some very dangerous waters.

I fear for my life.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 07:40 am
Join the club.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 07:44 am
Don't worry gus - you can charm all the sharks - I hear that you have a way with animals....
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 07:45 am
Oy.
0 Replies