Platform and Stay tuned

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 10:56 pm
(1) Platform = A formal declaration of the principles on which a group makes its appeal to the public?

Context:
One day after Oracle Corp. launched its hostile bid for PeopleSoft Inc., Microsoft Corp. Chairman and Chief Software Architect Bill Gates sent an e-mail to Chief Executive Officer Steve Ballmer suggesting that Microsoft come to PeopleSoft's rescue. Microsoft could make a minority investment in PeopleSoft "to bolster their independence," Gates wrote in an e-mail on June 7, 2003. In return, the Pleasanton, California, business application vendor would have to make "a modest platform commitment."

(2) Stay tuned kids, for more Random thoughts, by David

Stay tuned = stay correct pitch?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 546 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 11:02 pm
Re: Platform and Stay tuned
oristarA wrote:
(1) Platform = A formal declaration of the principles on which a group makes its appeal to the public?

Context:
One day after Oracle Corp. launched its hostile bid for PeopleSoft Inc., Microsoft Corp. Chairman and Chief Software Architect Bill Gates sent an e-mail to Chief Executive Officer Steve Ballmer suggesting that Microsoft come to PeopleSoft's rescue. Microsoft could make a minority investment in PeopleSoft "to bolster their independence," Gates wrote in an e-mail on June 7, 2003. In return, the Pleasanton, California, business application vendor would have to make "a modest platform commitment."

In technology "platform" refers to a foundation of sorts. It used to be a reference to hardware but now usually means an operating system.

Quote:

(2) Stay tuned kids, for more Random thoughts, by David

Stay tuned = stay correct pitch?

keep listening. Pay attention.

From radio:

"Stay tuned to 99.1 and we will be back after the commercial break"
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 11:34 pm
Hi Craven,

Did you mean that Gates implied to the vendor would have to make a modest pledge to use Windows or whatsoever MS OS?

PS: I didn't get what "for" exactly means below:

The e-mail refers to companies under codenames, including Pegasus for PeopleSoft, Mensa for Microsoft, Ophiuchus for Oracle and Sagittarius for SAP. Microsoft U.S. Small Business General Manager Cindy Bates said that although PeopleSoft may well thwart Oracle's bid, "the dynamics of the industry have changed."

I guess the usage is like the for in "for Windows", meaning "affiliated to".
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 11:44 pm
I do not know enough about the case to say what kind of commitment to precisely what platform is being spoken about. But if I were to guess I'd guess along the lines that you have.

As to "for" it is similar to this:

One for me, one for you and none for him.

So the email used the code name "pegasus" for PeopleSoft. The email used "Mensa" for Microsoft.

Basically they are using a different name with the same initial letter in place of the real name.

They are using a different name with the same initial letter FOR the real name.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 11:51 pm
Hmm, I got it. When Gates said "Mensa will rescue Pegasus", he meant that "Microsoft will rescue PeopleSoft".
Thank you Craven.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 11:57 pm
****Sigh****

Why I asked such a retarded question just because I read mistakenly "codename" as "condemn".
0 Replies