How To Advise?:Parental Advisory Lyrics.

forsakenkalika

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 02:50 am
BTW - I don't think music has anything to do with affecting habits and/ethics. That crap that happened at Columbine? My friends and I got crapped on in highschool because they thought we were going to do the same thing. I got stuff thrown at me and was called a witchbitch, just because I listen to metal and practice witchcraft and magick. I also have a sense of right and wrong. Those crazy kids in Littleton didn't. You wanna be a good parent? teach your children the difference between right and wrong, and stop treating them like they don't know what it's like to be misunderstood, because parents do it all the time. If your child is listening to something you don't necessarily like, ask them what they see in it, try to understand that they may be following a trend. There's a christian band I know who has a slit wrist on their cover and all the songs are about serious issues(i.e. teen pregnancy and suicide), and how believing in god can help you through that.

Besides, honestly, how are you going to protect your child from that, when even the nightly news portrays worse images?
0 Replies

alexdepp

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 04:31 pm
Down with censorship
I'm sorry but you guys just don't get it. Censorship is reminiscent of every fascist, totalitarian government that ever existed and one of the most obvious tools of oppression. I am sixteen and maybe your high school experience differs from mine, but school makes me want to die. I felt so alone until I found these bands that just seemed to say; shh, we understand you, it's okay. I bawled my eyes out the first time I listened to Novacaine by Green Day because it spoke to me.

The notion that talking about suicide would push anyone into doing it is ridiculous. In fact, it's a lot less dangerous than pretending that no one ever thinks about it. Personally if I had wanted to kill myself I would have done it long before I started listening to my music. Finally this stuff needs to be taken with a grain of salt, like My Chemical Romance; it is almost entirely metaphorical and I don't think anything they say is meant to be taken seriously, nor do I think anyone could take it that way with the exception of over protective mothers of course.

While we're on that subject, if you are panicking about everything your child does, maybe it's because it's easier than dealing with your own problems. If you think you have a troubled child, you probably just need a hobby. The reason these bands are so successful is because there are so many kids that relate to them, ergo being troubled is normal. I'm sorry for being harsh, it's just all this anger.
0 Replies

Bekaboo

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 12:58 am
The lyrics i wouldn't be too worried about. Sometimes, when you're really really frustrated, being able to shout and scream at the world helps you to get it out... and if you're doing it to a Deftones track then nobody thinks you're weird Wink

The album covers would worry me more... I'm not saying that purely seeing somebody with slit wrists will make a normal teen jump into bed with a razorblade. But I know too many people who wouldn't have started self harming if they didn't know that so many people were doing it, or didn't see it ... well tbh as something cool. I really REALLY hate that - people who started to be one of the crowd to my nut. But i think it's exposure to that kind of thing that make them think it's ok

As long as your daughter is... well a regular teenager. And as long as the two of you have a good enough relationship that you can talk and you will know if something is wrong, then i'd say don't worry too much.

If she's depressed... then i'd do something. My mum once took away all my CDs and only let me have Junior Rhyme Time Wink I was singing the 3 Billy Goats Gruff for weeks Razz
0 Replies

Kigono

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2008 06:31 pm
Important for ALL of you to know.
I'm 16 years old, and I personally used to cut myself. I was highly suicidal because of my abusive father from the age of 12 and a half. I still think about it.

I'm telling you this to help you. I share my story with alot of kids in my school so I can help them, they're all very wonderful kids, but what people don't seem to realise is, this isn't soemthing you hear in the music or the way they act.

Talk to your kids, play a role. My mother was always too busy working to pay attention to me. I felt as though I needed to punish myself for anything I did wrong in order to never do it again.

We listen to different types of music, we act differently, some of them are on the football team, some are in the drama club, some are in the honor classes, and some are even the prettiest, sweetest girls.

Music helped me alot, I still listen to music that talks about suicide, anger, depression, but i feel like someone else feels what I feel. Let your kids be themselves, just look at their wrists, check their wrists, and let them know that you went through **** too.

I think I found the most comfort knowing my mother had to raise her siblings and her father wasn't in the picture. it helps alot knowing that someone really does know what it means to be in their shoes.

That's my advice, as a once suicidal teen.
Noddy24

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2008 06:57 pm
Kigono--

Welcome to A2K.
0 Replies

Super Shithead

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 12:27 am
@Kigono,
I personally think that humans are a bunch of freakin whiners and need to suck it up and deal with ****... boo hoo you had an abusive father, so did the other 50% of the world. If something like that is haunting you so many years later you need a wake up call and realize so many other people actually have to deal with some major **** not just some "abuse" that doubtfully even existed because so many people decide to add to things to make them sound more extreme or interesting. Even if there was some pain involved with the abuse I doubt there is any permanent damage so trying to help someone with that pathetic story is an insult upon yourself. How about you go and put yourself in some real **** and come up with a new story and possibly a new outlook.
0 Replies