Self-Defeating Democracy

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 08:06 pm
Bush Ad Puts Hitler Alongside John Kerry

It isn't often that we'd ask you to go to George W. Bush's campaign website. But every single American should go to georgewbush.com immediately and watch the disgusting ad the Bush/Cheney campaign has featured on the front page.

Titled "The Faces of John Kerry's Democratic Party," the ad features Adolf Hitler alongside Democrats, including John Kerry. President Bush's campaign has relied on negative attacks against Kerry, but this is a new low.

We've always said the Bush campaign would do anything to win, but even we are shocked that they've sunk this low. It's bizarre. It's outrageous. And we're not going to stand for it.

If President Bush has any decency at all, he'll remove this hateful ad from his website immediately.

Sign the Petition
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 09:24 pm
Of course, the United States is a a representative democracy, not a pure democracy.

This doesn't mean that we are immune from undemocratic laws, but it is a hedge against tyranny by the majority.

Not surprising that EBrown would limit our checks and balances to the Judicial branch :wink: , but, in fact, that's also a function of the Executive branch.

Before an undemocratic bill became a law it would need the approval of the President or a two thirds vote to override a presidential veto. If either occurred, the Supreme Court would get to weigh in.

The Supreme Court could, conceivably, OK an undemocratic law (Arguably it has happened in the past), but it still would be subject to the scrutiny of future legislatures, future presidents, and future Supreme Courts.

It's almost unimaginable that a law turning our government into a dictatorship would make it through congress, past the president and then get a stamp of approval by the Supreme Court. This doesn't mean it couldn't happen, but the circumstances that might rise to such a drastic course of action would have to be so dire that I think we'd be worried about our survival than our system of government for a few years.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 10:16 pm
the reincarnation of suzy wrote:
Bush Ad Puts Hitler Alongside John Kerry

It isn't often that we'd ask you to go to George W. Bush's campaign website. But every single American should go to georgewbush.com immediately and watch the disgusting ad the Bush/Cheney campaign has featured on the front page.

Titled "The Faces of John Kerry's Democratic Party," the ad features Adolf Hitler alongside Democrats, including John Kerry. President Bush's campaign has relied on negative attacks against Kerry, but this is a new low.

We've always said the Bush campaign would do anything to win, but even we are shocked that they've sunk this low. It's bizarre. It's outrageous. And we're not going to stand for it.

If President Bush has any decency at all, he'll remove this hateful ad from his website immediately.

Sign the Petition

Unfortunately, I could only access the audio, but I think that's enough to agree that the ad is well off base. If the point of the ad is that Democrats are engaged in a "Big Lie" campaign (which I believe they are), then it can be conveyed in other ways. Any attempt to associate the Democrats with the Nazis or Kerry with Hitler is unseemly and outrageous.

I have already written an e-mail to the campaign to express my displeasure.

Are you prepared to similarly denounce any and all attempts to associate Bush and his administration with Hitler and the Nazis?
0 Replies

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 10:57 pm
If the shoe doesn't fit, I won't ask him to wear it, Finn.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 11:03 pm
the reincarnation of suzy wrote:
If the shoe doesn't fit, I won't ask him to wear it, Finn.

That's what I expected suzy. So much for your sanctimonious protest of the Bush campaign ad.
0 Replies

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 11:48 pm
"So much for your sanctimonious protest of the Bush campaign ad. "
Smile Sorry for the confusion, but I didn't comment on it at all. It's actually a cut and paste from the DNC, which I got in an e-mail. I apologize for not making that clear, (although I don't usually refer to myself as "we"). I was on my way out and just wanted to stick it somewhere and comment on it when I got home. I hadn't even seen it yet at that point, just put it out there as an FYI to anyone interested in checking it out. It was negligent of me.
0 Replies