Terrorism will never, ever, EVER be defeated.

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 03:50 pm
Global terrorism has been made possible by the availability of weapons, combined with the perception of a minority of people that they have no choice but terrorism. These are the people who Osama and his ilk are using to create terror, and it will never stop, nor will it ever be the downfall of the west, and furthermore, it isn't any damn clash of cultures, it's a clash of haves and have-nots. The combination of greed, desperation, and availability of high-powered weapons are the problems here, and I don't believe that there will ever come a time when there is enough have-nots to take down a nation as powerful as the U.S.

Terrorism is here to stay. Sorry to say it, but that's how it is. It ain't going anywhere, and it will have to be dealt with for a long time. Any politician who says they are going to stop terrorism is a liar or an idiot. It will NEVER happen.

So there.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,660 • Replies: 23
No top replies

thehamster

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 03:54 pm
Hehe so what's so new about it?
Did anyone think Mr. Bushy or someone else is going to put an end to it?

I hope you American boys and girls aren't THAT naive.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 03:56 pm
Quote:
Ehud Barak, the former Israeli Prime Minister, reportedly warned Vice-President Dick Cheney that America had lost in Iraq and said the only issue was "choosing the size of your humiliation."

http://www.pacifica.org/programs/dn/040622.html
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 03:58 pm
you are completely right Kicky. I can understand politicians talking stupidities, but I really wonder if there is single one non-politician in USA that REALLY believes in that "Oh, gee, that's so cool, we are going to stop terrorism" Confused
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 04:04 pm
You know - there actually maybe one person: Bush, I do believe he is that stupid. He believes the stuff he is told.

They play this trick on him at the White HOuse where they have him bugged, and Cheney pipes in stuff to him. He's heard saying, "God ~ that is you right (?) ~ God - as I was saying............. "
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 04:07 pm
Those that die for the fight inspire others to also die for the fight.

This is what is meant by terrorism not being a zero-sum game.

Another way of saying this is: we are making enemies faster than we can kill them.

There's bound to be a better path.

Republicans cannot see it and cannot be trusted to find it, however.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 04:12 pm
I once had a wonderful, old link to a site where the British complained about them upstarts in American, they were terrorist, they didn't fight wars properly and were just barbarians.......

Number one rule - don't go across the big water and tell someone else how to live their life.......
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 05:20 pm
yeah I know Bill - this is quite possible (that Bush actually does believe all that stuff), I thought that I hope there is not a single one NON-POLITICIAN that actually believes in that....to put aside all other political issues which are not my thing because I don't live in USA.
0 Replies

tony2481

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 05:32 pm
Sure, but we have not had any terrorism in America since 9/11. I would not say that we wont have any in America ever again, but we sure can reduce it a lot.
As for the availability of powerful weapons, Fertilizer and diesel combos have been the most popular bombs here. no matter how hard we try to limit the availability of weapons, there will always be an effective one available.
0 Replies

tony2481

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 05:34 pm
And envy is the root of the terrorists' and the rest of the world's hatred of America
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 05:43 pm
tony2481 wrote:
Sure, but we have not had any terrorism in America since 9/11

Um, yeah...unlike before 9/11 when America was under constant terrorist attacks?
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 05:44 pm
tony2481 wrote:
And envy is the root of the terrorists' and the rest of the world's hatred of America

Oh, I can't explain how jealous I am Rolling Eyes
Okay, I also don't hate USA, so maybe that's the trick.
0 Replies

tony2481

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 08:50 pm
My apologies, "MyOwn". I didn't mean to imply that everyone outside of America hated it. Just that "some people" who don't live in America hate it. In fact, I should not have made the "rest of the world" statement because, on this site, we are all mostly not stupid, and reasonably well informed.
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 08:53 pm
no problem Wink
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 09:08 pm
tony2481 wrote:
My apologies, "MyOwn". I didn't mean to imply that everyone outside of America hated it. Just that "some people" who don't live in America hate it. In fact, I should not have made the "rest of the world" statement because, on this site, we are all mostly not stupid, and reasonably well informed.

Tony, I don't "hate America", but I do hate what your current government is doing in Iraq & other places.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 09:08 pm
Re: Terrorism will never, ever, EVER be defeated.
kickycan wrote:
The combination of greed, desperation, and availability of high-powered weapons are the problems here, and I don't believe that there will ever come a time when there is enough have-nots to take down a nation as powerful as the U.S.

Osama Bin Laden had billions of $$ in the bank and was a member of one of the most prominent familys in Saudi Arabia. He was hardly a "have not" (nor were most of his senior people).

There is somthing else besides greed, desperation and weapons that is missing from your list. (Not sure exactly what but something...)
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 09:41 pm
fishin',

I agree that Osama was a rich and powerful man. You've shot a small hole in my "haves/have-nots" theory. Smile

But I believe he is desperate, which comes from his greed for power. And the people that do the real work for him, the killers in his employ, are definitely not rich, powerful men, and they are definitely desperate men. Without them, he is out of business. Isn't that true?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 10:00 pm
I didn't shoot a hole in it. Just pointing out that something is missing. Maybe it's his own greed (for power? fame?) as you said in the follow-up. I dunno.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 10:08 pm
Perfection will never be reached. We should not try to improve.

All disease will never be eradicated, we should not give that person the antidote.

Terrorism will always be with us, but maybe not from that guy right there if we arrest him. That it will always be with us is not much of a reason to not try to eradicate a particular patch of it.

But yeah, the rhetoric is silly. But that's the nature of rhetoric.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 10:08 pm
That something that's missing is, I believe, fanaticism. In bin Laden's case, it's religionist fanaticism.
0 Replies