how to deal with bank accounts

afeiya

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 03:06 pm
We got married and we have problems with our money accounts. I am the one who make money for the whole famliy. my husband can not make no money and he wants to stay home to watch kids. i said ok. i will pay for all the living fees but i need to have my seperate account with only my name on it. my husband all fired up, yelling, crazy, and then he said he wants divorce! he is an american. all he did everyday is to play viedo games and sleep. my parents and I have been wathcing the baby. he doesn't do any household, doesn't want to watch baby, and argue all the time. he can make a little bit money by selling video games in flea market. but he did not use the money to support our family. he never bough nothing for baby, for me. last christmas, all he bought for me is a very cheap purse from flea markte. it is worth only 2 bucks.

I am very upset and very angry.

I was wondering how other families do with their money. please give me some advice.

thanks a lot
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,572 • Replies: 22
No top replies

Eva

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 03:21 pm
Well! He certainly sounds like a lovely fellow! Mad

How about this arrangement...a joint account for household bills, and a separate account for each of you for spending money. All money made by both of you goes directly into the joint account, and any money left after household bills are paid is split evenly between you and him.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 03:26 pm
Take your money and leave him. He sounds like a pretty lousy spouse.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 03:29 pm
You're right, afeiya. No joint accounts, mostly because it does sound like you need to be protecting your assets, which is about what NickFun says - in more words.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 03:43 pm
Foreseeable Problems
Hi afeiya:

It appears that your lazy, video-playing, napping hubby is setting himself up for a free ride at your expense.

The situation would be so much different if he was actually making valuable contributions to the family as a stay-at-home dad. It is admirable when one of the parents takes on the role of "breadwinner" while the other parent takes on the role of taking care of the home and children. Staying at home is probably one of the most difficult, but under-appreciated jobs that a person can have. From what you have said, however, your hubby doesn't appear to be contributing to the family--he appears to be mooching.

On top of his mooching, he is outraged because he wants unfettered access to all your earnings and is threatening divorce if he doesn't get his way.

Do you foresee the problems down the road if this situation continues?

I don't see a problem with a loving, united family unit sharing all their financial resources and making joint decisions how best to expend the funds for the best interests of the family. If all else was going well in your young family, you wouldn't be worrying about getting a separate bank account. But, things are not as well as they should be. The warning signs are screaming out in your post.

The two of you are in this marriage together. The two of you need to clearly define your family roles and expectations. Right now, you have all the responsibility--taking care of the baby, home, and financial security of the family while your hubby lives irresponsibly. This relationship is not balanced; it is not healthy.

IMO, your question concerning separate accounts is merely a symptom of a much bigger problem that is looming on the horizon....
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 03:46 pm
My advice is to gladly give him his divorce, take your money and run. This guy obviously could care less about his family, so I'd move on. He doesn't work, care for your child, or do housework, so why stay?

Good luck to you.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 04:10 pm
You never really know someone until you know how they handle money. And you know what your husband does - he mooches off you and then threatens to leave when you assert any degree of independence. Divorce isn't, of course, the only option, but from my vantage point as a casual observer, it looks like an awfully attractive option.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 04:14 pm
I'm with the majority--if he wants a bank account, let him have a bank account with all his hard-earned money.

No Christmas presents for his kid? No baby-minding? No housework? What does he contribute to your marriage besides hissy fits and put-downs?

This guy is a confirmed bachelor and it would be kinder (at least to you and the baby) to toss him back to Unwedded Bliss.

Good luck.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 05:03 pm
I'm wondering about the 'he's American' reference. I suspect that's got something to do with this. I'm not sure what, but something.

Wife, kids, her parents, American husband - all together.
Where are they living, and what nationality is everyone else?
It may explain the hold he has over everyone.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 06:06 pm
Good point Beth. That crossed my mind as well.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 09:04 pm
This thoght crossed my mind. Maybe she would have green card or citizenship issues if she leaves him?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 09:13 pm
You have a free-loader on your hands, and the best thing you can do for yourself and the children is to divorce this bum. If you stay with him, you deserve all the misery he brings to the relationship.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 09:38 pm
afeiya--

Returning to the financial question--the one you asked:

In my experience most couples have joint checking and savings accounts with one partner taking responsiblity for paying bills.

From your description of your husband he seems determined to have access to your money--and not for paying the bills. He's threatened divorce.

This is not the way most American men behave. If anything, most American men--the ones who aren't pimps--would be humiliated to live on a woman's earnings and not give anything tangible to the relationship--unless you count abuse as tangible.

Your husband is way, way, way out of line for what is common in this country. Hence the enthusiasm of almost all of the posters on this threat for advising that you get rid of him.

His behavior is not normal--and you need not put up with it.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 10:12 pm
Yep, he sounds like a complete louse and a moocher. My wife makes more money than I do, and pays most of the bills, but we each have seperate accounts in our names, and one joint account strictly for bills, which neither of us touch for extras. He is not being fair with you, and as Noddy pointed out, this is not normal behaviour.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 11:56 pm
He's threatening divorce? Some threat! Tell me how that would be worse for you than you have it now. You'd have one less person to support and a lot less hassles.

Tell him to go ahead and divorce you. He'd be doing you a favor.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 12:01 am
I wonder who's gonna end up paying for the divorce?
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 02:04 pm
Besides all that, you don't need his permission to open a private account, and he doesn't have to know. How long have you been married?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 02:12 pm
Afeya-My concern is that if you tell your husband that you want a divorce, he may run off with the money, leaving you penniless, with a baby. If I were you, I would have a long talk with an attorney, who will advise you how to protect your savings.
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 02:36 pm
All she has to do is transfer the money to an account in her name before she tells him, though.
Although I'm sure he will try some trick or other, perhaps running off with the baby. Then he can get welfare to pay for the baby while he plays video games.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 02:42 pm
My point is that afeiya needs to get her preparations all set BEFORE she tells her husband. When she plans to tell him, she needs to have the baby out of the house, perhaps with her parents.
0 Replies