Are you saying you didn't read it?
neologist

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2016 04:57 pm
@InfraBlue,
neologist wrote:
Ite, missa est.
InfraBlue wrote:

You closet Catholic, you.
I remember my collegiate days, on Friday nights, consecrating pizza with beer, mumbling the words, and launching the divine repast.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2016 05:06 pm
@hingehead,
highly strained wrote:
Egyptians were keeping the Israeli people as slaves
shinglehead wrote:
There were no 'israelis' until the formation of the modern state of Israel - and even if you stretch it to mean the inhabitants of the original 'promised land' - there were no Israelis until after Moses died - and that's just based on what the bible says.

Take care of the pennies and the pounds will take care of themselves.
Cut brother Strange some slack, willya? If the term 'Israeli' was not in use, there surely were many descendants of Israel - even before Moses was born.
hingehead

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2016 05:06 pm
@neologist,
Didn't read what?

I was just querying the line about some of the firstborn not being human. Where did that come from? You provided little context.
High Strangeness

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2016 05:54 pm
Hinged Head said- "Like there's no evidence of the great flood - or that the universe was created in 6 days less than 10,000 years ago."
--------------------------------------------------------

Time is stretchy and elastic just as Einstein and his chums proved, or don't you believe scientists?
Therefore 'God-time' is not necessarily human time..Smile
"With God a thousand years are as one day" (2 Peter 3:8 )
hingehead

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2016 06:23 pm
@High Strangeness,
Oh god, you are dismal.

The bible is God's word - we must obey it to the letter - but of course it's open to interpretation. And then cite the same source as proof?

Jesus H. do you have any idea how you sound?

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/0e/a1/35/0ea1355bdfc4f3830f4b2f720a8dd6cd.jpg
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2016 06:25 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
Cut brother Strange some slack, willya?

A reasonable request - if brother strange had shown an ounce of deserving it.
0 Replies

Smileyrius

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2016 01:46 am
@hingehead,
Thanks for the clarification HH, when you said "Even the jews don't believe there was widespread egyptian slavery " It gives the impression that you were asserting the Jews as a community had abandoned aspects of their formerly accepted history, It just intrigued me is all.
I understand and accept that when involved in a debate, the way you position a phrase dictates its impact. I appreciate your perspective on the matter nonetheless.
High Strangeness

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2016 06:23 am
Hinged Head said- "The bible is God's word - we must obey it to the letter"
------------------------------------------------

Nah, only braindead fundies do that, we've got free choice to do as we please, call it a test-
"Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life.." (James 1:12)
hingehead

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2016 06:29 am
@High Strangeness,
Thanks for making me smile with your 'only fundies do that' and then citing a bible verse. Again.
High Strangeness

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2016 06:47 am
@hingehead,
Ah, but fundies take straightforward simple to understand verses and say they mean something else; it's "spiritual snobbery" because they like to think they know more than the rest of us poor slobs, so don't get taken in by them-
"Some want to teach the law, but don't understand it" (1 Tim 1:7)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2016 07:10 am
You can't have a conversation among atheists without the god botherers and the pushy agnostics showing up to trash the thread.
Leadfoot

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2016 09:45 am
@Setanta,
I'm still waiting for them to say something about their 'atheism' beyond trashing theists.

I really would like to hear it, it'd be interesting.
Smileyrius

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2016 09:49 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

I'm still waiting for them to say something about their 'atheism' beyond trashing theists.

I really would like to hear it, it'd be interesting.

there was a thread, in fact Ive seen a couple, but they were trashed by Theists. It seems the Axe swings both ways Smile
0 Replies

High Strangeness

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2016 10:47 am
Setanta said- "You can't have a conversation among atheists without the god botherers and the pushy agnostics showing up to trash the thread"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

It works both ways, atheists try to trash religious threads!
Anyway the god-botheres are not trashing anybody, they're simply correcting atheist misapprehensions, so they're doing them a favour..Smile

neologist

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2016 03:22 pm
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:
Didn't read what?
Exodus 12:12 relates the first born of the domestic animals. Not human no matter how much we like them.
hingehead

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2016 04:33 pm
@neologist,
I did read Exodus (but a long time ago) I didn't remember that. Just did some research - pops up in Exodus 11:5 too]
Love the various interpretations
http://biblehub.com/exodus/11-5.htm

Firstborn of the cattle or beasts or livestock or domestic animals.

So I appreciate the corrections - it doesn't really support an argument against the original premise that god was an asshole - and that Highly Strange is a very unchristian douchebag
Hugely **** wrote:
God is not a wishy-washy lefty social worker and nobody better mess with him..Smile
Anyway the kids were all heathen offspring ,the "Hitler Youth' of their time, just like Jesus later called the snooty jewish priests "offspring of vipers" so without them the human gene pool would have been improved.

And yes I am aware I'm being insulting and rude to HS - for which I apologise - but the mentality he expresses makes me despair for the human race.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2016 04:35 pm
@Smileyrius,
Hi Smiley, sorry for the misrepresentation - even the author is at pains to say the lack of evidence does not negate the significance of Passover - but that it is a metaphor.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2016 07:57 pm
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/71/13/49/711349bd725430d3aaa4e032aeeef2a6.jpg
Leadfoot

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2016 09:52 am
@hingehead,
That was pretty good.

Farmerman came up with a great flip side of that.

"We are all just delivery systems for the reproduction of genes."

I told him I bet he whispers that in his wife's ear when making love.
0 Replies