Another day when there is no God

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 May, 2015 07:15 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

In Huck Finn, Mark Twain tells the tale of a couple of con men who promoted a "3 nights only!" staging of a shakespearian play in some small Arkansas river town. The first night half the town came, and then recommended the event to the half that didn't. The second night the other half went. The whole thing was in fact quite terrible, so, on the third night the WHOLE town came, well armed with rotten tomatoes, cabbages, big-ass rocks, chicken feathers, tar, a rail, etc.

Some of the most militant atheists I have encountered seem to be those who were formerly devout believers and who now resent having been "taken in."

So what? If you are calling me militant you are off the mark considerably. The only place I even touch the subject is on able2know. People I deal with elsewhere mostly don't know what I think.
layman

Reply Sun 3 May, 2015 07:20 pm
@edgarblythe,

Quote:
So what? If you are calling me militant you are off the mark considerably

See my reply to Jo, Ed.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Sun 3 May, 2015 07:22 pm
@edgarblythe,
Same here, edgar. And I'm not sure how word-slinging compares to the Crusades, stonings, tortures, ostracisms, etc. I don't know of any atheist-owned bakery refusing to bake a wedding cake for a theist couple. Or atheists who behead believers. If atheists who speak up are militant, then religious types would do very well indeed to copy their style of militarism...
0 Replies

timur

Reply Sun 3 May, 2015 07:35 pm
Frank wrote:
When I set out to toy with you...I did not realize it would destabilize you this much. It is fun to watch...but sad at the same time.
Another one of your pathetic tactics.
Thinking that you could destabilize me is pretentious, to say the least.

and wrote:
Nothing worn out about them.
You are so wrapped up in yourself that cannot see the stupidity of your assertions.

and wrote:
You seem to be finding it tough to find new things to say about me.
On the contrary, my posts are more and more detailed and precise while you seem to be losing momentum (and words).

and wrote:
Give it up.
Dreaming again, Frank?

and wrote:
It is becoming more and more evident that I own you.
Are you sure it isn't the other around?

Frank wrote:
Another foolhardy thing you have started that I will finish!
You are a liar and a lame one at that. You didn't finish the last one.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 3 May, 2015 07:57 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Doesn't the fact there is no detectable magic ordering the universe and that gods are made up from imagination, plus genocides and such occur - Anybody believing there could be a god is not paying attention. It's anthropomorphism, fear, ignorance, what you will. But there is not and never was and never will be any form of god.

Ahhh...a god speaks and tells us the unknown...there is not and never was and never will be any form of god.

A message from a god.

A blind guess from a man.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 3 May, 2015 07:58 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

If anyone could come up with one logical reason why there is or could be a god, they have not shared it with anyone I have ever met.

There is no logical reason why there is man...but there is.

You have ceased being logical, Edgar.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 3 May, 2015 08:04 pm
@timur,
timur wrote:

Frank wrote:
When I set out to toy with you...I did not realize it would destabilize you this much. It is fun to watch...but sad at the same time.
Another one of your pathetic tactics.
Thinking that you could destabilize me is pretentious, to say the least.

You are destabilized...comically so. It really doesn't matter who helped you become destabilized. But you seem devoted to me...and I suspect that is what is leading to the destabilization becoming greater.

But you are a handy toy...and I thank you for playing into my hands.

Quote:
and wrote:
Nothing worn out about them.
You are so wrapped up in yourself that cannot see the stupidity of your assertions.

If you are talking to yourself...it is the most sane thing you have said. You have gone loony, Timur.

and wrote:
You seem to be finding it tough to find new things to say about me.
On the contrary, my posts are more and more detailed and precise while you seem to be losing momentum (and words).

Quote:
and wrote:
Give it up.
Dreaming again, Frank?

Just trying to get you to cut your loses. But you are too far gone to see where you are...and the losses will just keep piling up.

Quote:
and wrote:
It is becoming more and more evident that I own you.
Are you sure it isn't the other around?

Yup...very sure.

Quote:

Frank wrote:
Another foolhardy thing you have started that I will finish!
You are a liar and a lame one at that. You didn't finish the last one.

I will finish you as I have finished you every time...mostly by getting you to finish yourself. You have become appallingly self-destructive. Remember...you are MY toy...and I don't like my toys broken.
0 Replies

timur

Reply Sun 3 May, 2015 08:13 pm
You are a pathetic little **** of an old man, Frank.

Your poor tactics don't work and you know that.

That's why are are losing it, not knowing what to do.

You are a pitiful liar at that..
timur

Reply Sun 3 May, 2015 08:39 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

edgarblythe wrote:

If anyone could come up with one logical reason why there is or could be a god, they have not shared it with anyone I have ever met.

There is no logical reason why there is man...but there is.

You have ceased being logical, Edgar.

Can't you see the crap you keep posting?

You are saying that Protagoras was illogical too when he said: "Man is the measure of all things".
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 May, 2015 08:49 pm
@Frank Apisa,
On the contrary, you maintain that a guess trumps logic.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 3 May, 2015 08:52 pm
@hingehead,
Long live Hingehead!!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 May, 2015 09:03 pm
My final say as of now:
1. There is no detectable magic in the known universe.
2. People made up the notion of gods out of their imagination, fueled by want, ignorance and fear, and they had not one whit of evidence.
3. The religions that utilize a god give it a gender, which is a form of anthropomorphism.
B. For frank to guess that their may be a god or two, is his own guesswork, making him more in the camp of deists, though his driving force is possibly a different form of compulsion than the average.
C. I would change my mind about it if a single logical reason could be given.

4. I will argue the point no further for now.
layman

Reply Sun 3 May, 2015 09:34 pm
@timur,
Quote:
You are saying that Protagoras was illogical too when he said: "Man is the measure of all things".

Obviously, you don't know that the great Protagoras also said this:

Quote:
Concerning the gods, I have no means of knowing whether they exist or not, nor of what sort they may be, because of the obscurity of the subject, and the brevity of human life.
layman

Reply Sun 3 May, 2015 09:40 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
On the contrary, you maintain that a guess trumps logic.

All logic ends up (re) telling you, Ed, is your own premises. It does not provide "new information."
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 May, 2015 09:52 pm
That's your take. Fine.

Damn it. I kept editing there for their on that post and still screwed it up.
layman

Reply Sun 3 May, 2015 09:56 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
That's your take. Fine.

If you're talking to me, Ed, that's not just "my take." It is pretty much common knowledge. Do you disagree?
timur

Reply Sun 3 May, 2015 09:59 pm
@layman,
In what sense does it deny that man is the measure of all things?

layman

Reply Sun 3 May, 2015 10:02 pm
@timur,
Quote:
In what sense does it deny that man is the measure of all things?

In what sense did you even attempt to follow the conversation between Ed and Frank which you undertook to comment on with your reference to Protagoras?
timur

Reply Sun 3 May, 2015 10:05 pm
@layman,
Well, you can keep replying with a question to a question if it suits you..
layman

Reply Sun 3 May, 2015 10:06 pm
@timur,
Quote:
Well, you can keep replying with a question to a question if it suits you..

My question does answer yours, you just don't know how.