Another day when there is no God

timur

Reply Sun 3 May, 2015 10:24 pm
@layman,
Assertions that kind are a dime a dozen..
edgarblythe

@layman,
You will have to spell it out a little more so I can be certain of your point.
edgarblythe

But I have to work in the morning and good night all.
layman

Reply Sun 3 May, 2015 10:58 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
But I have to work in the morning and good night all.

OK, Ed, I'll catch you later on that topic.
layman

Reply Sun 3 May, 2015 11:02 pm
@timur,
Quote:
Assertions that kind are a dime a dozen..

Yeah, there are a lot of true assertions floating around, true that.

You really want to get into this, Timma?

It what sense, if any, was your quote of Protagoras the least bit relevant to the response Frank made to Ed, i.e., the response which you claimed Frank was (indirectly) accusing Protagoras of being "illogical" with the "man is the measure" quote?
0 Replies

layman

Reply Sun 3 May, 2015 11:21 pm
@layman,
In the meantime, Ed, I'll give you an elementary example which illustrates the point. Here's a classical syllogism used in many logic books:

Premise 1: All men are mortal
Premise 2. Socrates is a man
Conclusion: Therefore Socrates is mortal.

So what does the conclusion tell you here that you didn't already presume to know?

That all men are mortal? The conclusion didn't "tell" you that. You told it.
Same with Socrates being a man, and being mortal. You already knew that. The "conclusion"' merely restates what you have already presupposed. No "new information" has come out of it.

See the point?
0 Replies

layman

Reply Sun 3 May, 2015 11:29 pm
@edgarblythe,
Try this one:

1. Nothing that exists was created by God.
2. This planet exists.
3. Therefore neither this planet, nor anything on it, was created by God.

Why say "therefore?" You've already stated it as a fact at the very beginning. The "logic" adds nothing.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Sun 3 May, 2015 11:54 pm
@edgarblythe,
Let's try this one last time, Ed, using one of your actual "premises," to wit"

1. "People made up the notion of gods out of their imagination, fueled by want, ignorance and fear, and they had not one whit of evidence."

You need two premises to reach any kind of "logical" conclusion, so let me throw another one in for you.

2. If people don't have a whit of evidence for their notions, then their notions are false.

3. Therefore the notion that gods exist is false.

That the idea? Is that the implicit logic you are relying on?

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 4 May, 2015 02:39 am
@timur,
timur wrote:

You are a pathetic little **** of an old man, Frank.

Your poor tactics don't work and you know that.

That's why are are losing it, not knowing what to do.

You are a pitiful liar at that..

No, no, no, Timur. You sound like an out-of-control 4 year old here.

Try to clean up your act...so you sound at least 8 or 10 year old.

Is this really what you consider to be a proper strategy?

Control...my friend. It is key!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 4 May, 2015 02:43 am
@timur,
timur wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

edgarblythe wrote:

If anyone could come up with one logical reason why there is or could be a god, they have not shared it with anyone I have ever met.

There is no logical reason why there is man...but there is.

You have ceased being logical, Edgar.

Can't you see the crap you keep posting?

You are saying that Protagoras was illogical too when he said: "Man is the measure of all things".

Anyone who thinks human beings are, of necessity, something special in the universe is simply not thinking, Boom.

Protagoras has as a defense that he did not realize the extent of the universe. You, on the other hand, should be able to see the limits of his thinking considering the limits of his knowledge of the cosmos. Get a 10 year old to explain it to you.

Poor Ohm!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 4 May, 2015 02:44 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

On the contrary, you maintain that a guess trumps logic.

No, Edgar, I do not. Don't stoop to the level of Timur with something like that. Have more self-respect.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 4 May, 2015 02:47 am
@edgarblythe,
Point number 4 makes more sense than the rest of that, Edgar...and is undoubtedly your best move, although I suspect it will soon be violated by you.

I do not GUESS there may be gods. I do not know the true nature of the REALITY of existence...and of course there MAY BE gods...just as surely as there MAY NOT BE gods.

C'mon!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 4 May, 2015 05:24 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

My final say as of now:
1. There is no detectable magic in the known universe.
2. People made up the notion of gods out of their imagination, fueled by want, ignorance and fear, and they had not one whit of evidence.
3. The religions that utilize a god give it a gender, which is a form of anthropomorphism.
B. For frank to guess that their may be a god or two, is his own guesswork, making him more in the camp of deists, though his driving force is possibly a different form of compulsion than the average.
C. I would change my mind about it if a single logical reason could be given.

4. I will argue the point no further for now.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 4 May, 2015 05:26 am
Thanks to nothing I am at age 72 still going to do a very physical job this morning. I don't guess so, but I know.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 4 May, 2015 05:43 am
http://l1.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/Oh4UYmdabnelVBcsNKdcyQ--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9ZmlsbDtoPTE4NztweW9mZj0wO3E9NzU7dz02MDA-/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/ucomics.com/dt150504.gif
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Mon 4 May, 2015 05:46 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Thanks to nothing I am at age 72 still going to do a very physical job this morning. I don't guess so, but I know.

You've got a few years on me, but I hope I can still do very physical jobs when I'm 72. How physically demanding are you talking?
Ragman

Reply Mon 4 May, 2015 07:06 am
@edgarblythe,
When I read about your activities, I always send up a little cheer up for you, Edgar (not that you need or solicit any cheering).
0 Replies

timur

Reply Mon 4 May, 2015 09:17 am
Frank wrote:
Anyone who thinks human beings are, of necessity, something special in the universe is simply not thinking,
Applies to you quite well.

Thinking is simply not your thing.

You believe you are something special in the universe while being just a little boasting **** of an old man.

Get a grip..
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 4 May, 2015 11:22 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

At age 78 I guess that you do indeed know that. And I am impressed that you are able to be so physical.

At age 78...I know for a fact that you do not know there are no gods...and that when you assert that there are none...you are merely sharing a guess, Edgar.

I've always thought you were the kind of guy who could acknowledge that, because it is so obvious.

I guess I was wrong.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 4 May, 2015 11:24 am
@timur,
timur wrote:

Frank wrote:
Anyone who thinks human beings are, of necessity, something special in the universe is simply not thinking,
Applies to you quite well.

Thinking is simply not your thing.

You believe you are something special in the universe while being just a little boasting **** of an old man.

Get a grip..

Oh, Timur...you continue to show how little class you have by arguing the way a sandbox kid would argue.

Here, take some more:

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRAmLvgny9VKwuFTXQhF22Wa-7VRw-azMHLdrYFFdzGBezrH2Z8hw