The Good News from Iraq

kickycan

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 09:21 am
You're right, Swolf. The news is good. Why don't you get a summer house out there and let us know how relaxing and peaceful it is? I hear its' becoming the French Riviera of the new millenium.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 09:24 am
Yes, very touching. It just brings tears to my eyes knowing how lucky all the people still alive in Iraq are.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 09:32 am
I understand what you feel Montana.
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 09:36 am
Smile Smile Smile You guys are too funny!
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 09:39 am
I guess that Flows has a point.

There is a lot of good news coming from Iraq these days - after all, there are a lot of people over there working very very hard.

Working very hard to clean up the giant mess we made of the country.

Getting paid for this by you and I. Some contractors are making over a thousand dollars a day, for work that would cost around 150 dollars a day here in the states.

It's sometimes hard to see the good news, because the shadow cast by the bad news is so damn big....

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 09:39 am
With all this good news coming out of Iraq, we should do another preemptive attack on another country with a tyrant and share the joys of democracy. Who amongst us can argue that 98% good news is not worth our sacrifice.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 09:41 am
Let's nuke <closing eyes while pointing finger at a map of the world> Slovakia!
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 09:41 am
Have no fear, CI, we probably will spread the joy a little farther.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 09:42 am
the reincarnation of suzy wrote:

Montana is the loveliest of ladies.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 09:54 am
dyslexia wrote:
the reincarnation of suzy wrote:

Montana is the loveliest of ladies.

Awwwww!!!!!!! You sweet thing Very Happy
0 Replies

swolf

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 11:31 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
I guess that Flows has a point.

There is a lot of good news coming from Iraq these days - after all, there are a lot of people over there working very very hard.

...It's sometimes hard to see the good news, because the shadow cast by the bad news is so damn big....
Cycloptichorn

Part of the good news lies in things which are no longer happening.

We haven't had any more buildings blown down in the last three years.

We haven't had any further attempts to poison the US senate office building with anthrax.

Iraq is no longer running a school for terrorism with actual mockup airliners.

There is no FURTHER evidence of mustard agents or cyanide running off into the Tigris or Euphrates rivers.

There are no more large cash payments to the families of suicide murderers emanating from Iraq.

And there are a number of other fairly invisible dividents from the operation as well.

Now, the shadow you mention was many decades in the making and every administration since FDR shares in the guilt/blame for it. It arose from the necessities of the cold war and from having to deal with the one major totalitarian system leftover after WW-II.

George W. Bush is actually trying to fix the problem. He was absolutely correct in determining that the most major problem in the middle east was the total lack of responsible government, and that one large arab democracy in the region would likely go a very long way towards improving life in the entire region.

There is a very real chance it could work, and about the only other option which was open to him after 9-11 was to do what I'd probably have done, i.e. nuke Mecca and Medina from orbit and try to ban the practice of Islam throughout the world. A reasonable person has to like the idea of trying the humanitarian approach FIRST.

I did post a very good article on this toipic a while back:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26960&highlight=&sid=3c2a34422edcab2651d930a3f034da53
0 Replies

swolf

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 11:37 am
Oops, forgot to mention that there's no longer any sort of a three-way trade between North Korea, Iraq, and Libya in nuclear missile components, and that Muammar Khadaffi has publically renounced the entire terrorism business and gotten his country out of it.

Democrats probably view that as bad news somehow or other; I view it as good news and it's the kind of good news which would assuredly not be happening if Algor were president.

Honk if you voted for Al Gore
(that's the big button in the center of the steering wheel...)
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 11:40 am
swolf wrote:

The same honk as in: Honk if you want Timothy McVeigh to receive the death penalty?
0 Replies

swolf

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 12:06 pm
Rick d'Israeli wrote:
swolf wrote:

The same honk as in: Honk if you want Timothy McVeigh to receive the death penalty?

I don't really know of any reason to want to hang Algor; keeping him away from public life will suffice.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 12:09 pm
Quote:
There is a very real chance it could work, and about the only other option which was open to him after 9-11 was to do what I'd probably have done, i.e. nuke Mecca and Medina from orbit and try to ban the practice of Islam throughout the world. A reasonable person has to like the idea of trying the humanitarian approach FIRST.

It's statements like this that really rob you of your credibility, man....

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 03:29 am
swolf wrote:
I don't really know of any reason to want to hang Algor; keeping him away from public life will suffice.

Sorry, my post was not really clear. I once saw a picture, during the trial of Timothy McVeigh, which showed some men who had hanged a big sign with 'Honk if you want McVeigh to be hanged' at a roadside. There was A LOT of honking. It did not really have to do something with your remark on Al Gore; I just remembered the McVeigh picture.
0 Replies