Equal time and Fahrenheit 9/11

Brand X

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 07:12 pm
Thanks, ehBeth.

It appears he's in competition with himself based on worldwide gross, The Original Kings Of Comedy a close second.

Shouldn't have any problem surpassing these due to the international interest as well.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 07:18 pm
Brand X - I think there has to be more complete info on documentary box office somewhere, as one of my favourites ( The War Room) isn't listed on the site I found. Then again, I suspect the pre- 1998 numbers aren't going to be high in any case.

We need the Grand Vizier to call upon his mighty film info resources.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 06:18 am
I posted the IMDb list of the ten best documentaries based on user ratings. Box office can be deceptive unless it is clocked in with inflation. For instance, that puts Gibsons "The Passion" off the list and puts "Ben Hur," "The Ten Commandments" and "The Rope" miles ahead.

The limited engagement opening at the two theates in NYC has already broken records not just in box office figures but in attendance. I predict that the snarling and gnashing from the other side will propel this picture into the annals of film history.

CNN MONEY ON FAHRENHEIT'S RECORD BREAKING BOX OFFICE
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 07:24 am
I agree that the B.O. will be huge, but as you stated the one day figures must be filtered to be meaningful. Since in N.Y. for instance it was only shown in two theaters, each with many showings of the film during the day, starting at midnight, the numbers are artificially inflated- great marketing though.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 07:29 am
"Men in Black" which was its nearest competition was also screened starting at midnight. Giving the movie going public, especially in NYC, an extra opportunity to see a film is hardly artificial. It's standard practice.
0 Replies

angie

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 07:35 am
I'm not at all concerned with the official box office ratings.

People who are generally informed on the issues will see the movie and, perhaps, find it entertaining, but what I'm hoping is that it will suggest questions to people who might not typically be among those who ask their government for answers. Then again, they have to actually see the movie for that to happen.

I don't like everything Moore says/does, but he was, IMO, right on wth Bowling for Columbine, and for that reason, I will definitely see this movie.

From what I've heard, he goes after BOTH parties for their support of this war. With the misinformation we were given by our government at the time ("imminent threat"), I can actually understand how some legislators originally supported the war, so I'm not sure where he's coming from on that.

We'll see!
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 07:39 am
The statement I heard was that the record was broken for one day attendance at the theater. Since the theater had a semi-exclusive showing and more available seats than for previous films, I consider the "record" artificial.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 07:39 am
Speaking about equal time and fairness, check this out:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=27381
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 09:42 am
I'm not overweight. Moore is a big fat idiot. And it's not a documentary.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 09:47 am
Assertions, assertions, my how they fly against 'ol Micheal Moore.

The real problem for you conservatives, is that a lot of people are going to walk out of the theater going, 'woah. I had no idea.'

Now, you will go on about how biased he is, but remember, we're talking about the sheep here. They aren't gonna think about that. What they will think about, and what I don't have a problem with them thinking about, are the huge amount of shady business dealings the Bush family is involved in, the corruption and subversion of the democratic process, and the continual erosion of rights under the Bush administration.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 09:53 am
One can recite until they are blue in the face that's it's not a documentary. You can also try to repeat it one-hundred times and it still won't be true.

I'll take anyone's word that they are not overweight but the fact is that you really don't expect me to believe that everyone ranting about his weight doesn't have a weight problem themselves.

I find it sardonically and ironically funny that there is so much fear in the defensive stance against Moore's film. It wouldn't be necessary to defend Bush if there wasn't something rotten in Washington.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 09:56 am
Lightwizard wrote:
I'll take anyone's word that they are not overweight but the fact is that you really don't expect me to believe that everyone ranting about his weight doesn't have a weight problem themselves.

Huh? I think you have a logic problem.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 10:33 am
No, I think you have a logic problem about someone's weight having anything to do with how smart they are or how good a filmmaker they are.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 10:35 am
(I didn't much care for Franken's book title "Big Fat Idiot," either. A cheap shot for humor and for every overweight liberal one can rant about, there's a conservative who also has a weight problem).
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 10:48 am
I hope everyone here notices that LW practices the liberal "spin" that ol Bill and company perfected.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 10:58 am
You can put any 'documentary' Moore has had anything to do with against any more objective source, and the distortions and misrepresentations are glaring. Bowling for Columbine was maybe the worst he has ever done. Nevertheless, there are those who want to believe the garbage he spews out and will carefully avoid comparing it to any alternate information. That's what makes Moore so dangerous when it comes to shaping public policy.

Equus raises a valid question. When Moore is on the record as intending to see that Bush is no re-elected, should a movie touted as a documentary be considered entertainment? Or political advertisement subject to campaign finance laws?

If Bush and/or the GOP put out their own information to counter the mistruths in the movie, will that be considered political advertisement subject to campaign finance laws?

As Equus pointed out, next time it could be your guy in this position.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 11:02 am
Equal time where? The theaters are not regulated by any government agency. It's not being telecast on any airways but only on cable. Let some competant filmmaker from the right make their own documentary. I won't hold my breath.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 11:04 am
I'm sure many on these threads recognize your Bush adoring spin.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 11:05 am
(Let me know when you come up for air).
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 11:08 am
Equal time in general. The very liberal media here in the Bay Area have plastered the airwaves with news items about the release of this film. Moore is on camera on record saying he hopes to alter the outcome of the election with the film. I've seen it several times.
0 Replies