Love from Jess xoxo
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,454 • Replies: 13
No top replies

SCoates

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 08:21 pm
Caesar Augustus. He was Julius Caesar's son. Julius would have done it himself, but passed away about the same time the conquering took place. It's still somewhat a debatable question since he inacted the invasion, and it was his orders which lead to its being conquered (albeit after his death). Since our months in english are derived from the original greek names, we can se Augustus' influence in having a month renamed after himself (I don't remember what it was called before he invaded, but it would be pretty easy to dig that up on google.)
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 09:38 pm
The Roman conquest of Greece was in 146 BC during the Republican period...

Quote:
The war which now followed, for the subjugation of Greece, was at first conducted by Metellus; and afterward by Mummius, an able general but a boorish man, who hated the Greeks and cared little for their culture.

Quote:
Greece was afterward organized as a separate province, under the name of Achaia.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 12:11 am
As Mr. Stillwater said;

Quote:
By 275 BC, the Romans in Italy were beginning to expand out of Italy and conquer other parts of the Mediterranean. They started with Sicily, an island near Italy. The Romans were fighting the Carthaginians. Some of the Greeks decided to help the Carthaginians fight the Romans, because the Greeks were afraid of the Romans. But the Carthaginians lost. The Romans were very angry at the Greeks, and they began to take Greece over as well.
At first the Romans pretended to let Greece be independent, but by 146 BC the Romans destroyed Corinth and made Greece into a province of the Roman Empire.

the above is quoted from the understable site History for Kids
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 12:33 am
The Romans may have sacked Corinth, but Ricardo Montalban still swears by Corinthian leather.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 12:50 am
But we still call 'conrinthes" correctly thus and not currants (as different to sultanas) :wink:
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 12:56 am
Didn't they say "when the Romans conquered Greece, Greece conquered Rome"?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 12:58 am
Pssscht: the Romans don't know this.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 01:00 am
Stupids.

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 01:42 am
Well, if I ever plan a culinary vacation, I will avoid Rome. I plan on visiting Hungary, Turkey and Greece however.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 01:55 am
Székely-Gulyás, Rahat lokum, dolmadakia ... I see :wink:
0 Replies

Exister -

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 12:25 am
SCoates wrote:
Caesar Augustus. He was Julius Caesar's son.

Actually Augustus was Julius Caesar's Nephew and became his adopted son at the age of 4 when his father suddenly died.
0 Replies

Exister -

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 01:06 am
SCoates wrote:
Since our months in english are derived from the original greek names, we can se Augustus' influence in having a month renamed after himself (I don't remember what it was called before he invaded, but it would be pretty easy to dig that up on google.)

Julius Caesar commissioned an Egyption Astronomer, Sosigenes, to make the Julian Calendar. Caesar Augustus later changed the 6th month Sextilis to Augustus and the 5th month from Quintilis to lulius(The year started in March).
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 05:13 am
And hooray for the Romans!!!!! Can't imaging trying to pronounce these!!!

Quote:
The Athenian calendar is the best known and most intensively studied, and I shall therefore use it as a model. The Athenian months were named Hekatombion, Metageitnion, Boedromion, Pyanepsion, Maimakterion, Poseidon, Gamelion, Anthesterion, Elaphebolion, Munychion, Thargelion, and Skirophorion. (For a list of the known month names in other Greek areas, see Ginzel, vol. 2, pp. 335-6). The intercalary month usually came after Poseidon, and was called second Poseidon. Hekatombion, and hence the beginning of the year, fell in the summer. Other Greek regions started their year at different times (e.g., Sparta, Macedonia in fall, Delos in winter
0 Replies