Poet Mattie Stepanek, 13, Dies

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 06:58 pm
Poet Mattie Stepanek, 13, Dies
June 22, 2004
CBS News

Mattie Stepanek, the child poet whose inspirational verse made him a best-selling writer and a prominent muscular dystrophy advocate, died Tuesday from complications of the disease. He was 13.

Mattie died at Children's National Medical Center in Washington, the hospital said.

"Mattie was something special, something very special," Muscular Dystrophy Association National Chairman Jerry Lewis said in a statement. "His example made people want to reach for the best within themselves. It was easy to forget how sick he was because his megawatt personality just made you want to smile.

Mattie had dysautonomic mitochondrial myopathy, a genetic disease that impaired almost all of his body's major functions, such as heart rate, breathing, blood pressure and digestion, and caused muscle weakness.

His mother, Jeni, 44, has the adult-onset form of the disease, and his three older siblings died of it in early childhood.

Mattie began writing poetry at age 3 to cope with the death of a brother. In 2001, a small Virginia publisher issued a slim volume of his poems, called "Heartsongs." Within weeks, the book reached the top of The New York Times best-seller list, the MDA said.

He wrote four other books: "Journey Through Heartsongs," "Hope Through Heartsongs," "Celebrate Through Heartsongs" and "Loving Through Heartsongs."

Mattie's poems brought him admirers including TV talks show host Oprah Winfrey and former President Jimmy Carter and made him one of the best-selling poets in recent years.

Mattie was profiled last year in The Early Show series on American heros. He said back then he knew he had accomplished a lot.

"I've gotten books published. I've met famous people that are very nice," he recollected. "I look back and I say, 'Wow. Thank you, God, for giving me this gift. And thank you for helping me to keep going.'"
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,254 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Eva

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 07:53 pm
Oh no.

It makes me so sad to hear this. I have two of his books, and I thought he was very special. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 08:00 pm
Grounded Lesson

Life is a treasure.
People should enjoy it,
Even if digging
To it, or
Through it,
Is a challenge.

---Mattie J.T. Stepanek, February 2000
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 08:52 pm
I love his poems.

he is much more comfortable now though. The body he got in this life was painful and restricting. Maybe next go ' round lets hope he gets what he deserves.
:-)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 10:12 pm
He will be remembered for a body of poetic work. Few children die having accomplished so much.
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 07:42 pm
Here's Mattie Stepanek's web site
Here's Mattie Stepanek's web site and his poem "Heartsong."

http://www.mattieonline.com/
[/color]

Quote:
Heartsong

I have a song, deep in my heart,
And only I can hear it.
If I close my eyes and sit very still
It is so easy to listen to my song.
When my eyes are open and
I am so busy and moving and busy,
If I take time and listen very hard,
I can still hear my Heartsong.
It makes me feel happy.
Happier than ever.
Happier than everywhere
And everything and everyone
In the whole wide world
Happy like thinking about Going to Heaven when I die.
My Heartsong sounds like this:

I love you! I love you!
How happy you can be!
How happy you can make
The whole world be!

And sometimes it's other
Tunes and words, too,
But it always sings the
Same special feeling to me.
It makes me think of
Jamie, and Katie and Stevie,
And other wonderful things.