One more thing about gay marriage...

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 06:26 pm
Harpers Index was pretty interesting today!
Just some stats:
Percentage of the 958 same-sex unions granted to Vermont residents since July 2000 that have since been dissolved : 3 [Vermont Department of Health (Burlington) ]

Percentage of U.S. heterosexual marriages that are dissolved within five years : 20 [National Center for Health Statistics (Hyattsville, Md.) ]

Interesting, huh?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,111 • Replies: 15
No top replies

thehamster

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 07:09 pm
Nope it's not:

3 of 958 thingies do stuff
20% of something do the same

Interesting indeed?
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 07:10 pm
Oh, you. Razz
0 Replies

thehamster

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 07:18 pm
Now what me?
Don't wanna provide us with the rest of the truth? Wink
0 Replies

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 07:27 pm
What? Are you opposed to gay marriage?
I provided this as an interesting observation, but I don't intend to start a battle of the links, if that's what you want. These two stats say enough to satisfy me for now.
If opposed, is there a valid reason or a religious one?
0 Replies

thehamster

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 07:38 pm
I am absolutely not opposed to gay marriage.

What I feel opposed to is the structure of your stats. You compare a number to a relative number, leaving dumbnuts like me alone with calculating the percentage of gay marriages being divorced after four years.
0 Replies

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 08:03 pm
Okay, I get what you're saying, I think. While the number of gay marriages is given and the percentage thus easy to calculate, the number of regular marriages is not given, so 20% of what?

But upon further thought, that number's got to be way higher, since many more straight people get married, so I think it still makes a few points.
The least of which is that gay marriages, at this point in their short history, are doing better on average than straight marriages.
All in all, it doesn't really prove much, does it?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 08:07 pm
Re: One more thing about gay marriage...
the reincarnation of suzy wrote:
Just some stats:
Percentage of the 958 same-sex unions granted to Vermont residents since July 2000 that have since been dissolved : 3 [Vermont Department of Health (Burlington) ]

Percentage of U.S. heterosexual marriages that are dissolved within five years : 20 [National Center for Health Statistics (Hyattsville, Md.) ]

Interesting, huh?

But what is the divorce rate for hetrosexual couples in VT? COmparing to a national number is a bit of an apples/oranges comparison. According to the latest data on their state WWW page it's 4% (2001 is the last year they've released data on but it's been at the 4%-5% mark since 1995. VT seems to have a much lower rate of divorce than the rest of the US in general...)
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 08:10 pm
the reincarnation of suzy wrote:
The least of which is that gay marriages, at this point in their short history, are doing better on average than straight marriages.
All in all, it doesn't really prove much, does it?

Exactly right. Heh, may they ALL live in misery. Razz
0 Replies

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 08:31 pm
Smile
You're married, aren't you Fishin?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 08:44 pm
Nope!
0 Replies

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 09:04 pm
Oh, I always thought you were...
Well, good for you!
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 04:11 am
I can just feel the validity of my own marriage crumbling...

Crumbling, I say!
0 Replies

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 07:32 am
Smile We knew it would come to this!
0 Replies

buffytheslayer

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 11:43 pm
Actually neither stat says a whole lot of anything.

The first one gives a percentage of dissolution over basically a 4 yr period. Ok.

The second stat leaves out too much info. How many marriages did the National Center for Health Statistics (Hyattsville, Md.) grant during the exact same period July 2000 to present?

The answer given is 20. That's the numerator. What's the denominator?

OK, anyhoo. Gay marriage boils down to one thing: "What about me?"

I'm a straight girl. I expect a hetero marriage in my future. Can I still have my hetero marriage? Yep. There you have it.

We are a self centered society. The right wing crazies aside, it will boil down to each person's idea of "what about me?"

Well, that and capitalism. I mean, just think about the boon to the wedding industry from gay men, lol!
0 Replies

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 01:19 am
Yeah, they were all psyched in P-Town, I can tell you!
0 Replies