Yikes! More bad news.

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 12:31 am
Right they do.
Mr stillwater, excellent point.
So are the bacteria attacking us, or are we inviting them in because we want everything quick + easy?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 12:44 am
We gave them the opportunity to develop immunity fast and on a massive scale.

They always attack us, if they can. It is what they do - if they can live on/in us.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 03:25 am
dlowan wrote:
We gave them the opportunity to develop immunity fast and on a massive scale. They always attack us, if they can. It is what they do - if they can live on/in us.

And here we finish the lecture on 'The Rabbit in Australia: Hell opened and something furry popped out".
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 04:00 am
You'll hafta do better than that if you wanna be called "deep" Pondscum.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 05:16 am
Quote:
Phoenix, before your husband got that infection, had he taken many antibiotics in his life?

L.R.R.Hood - Yes he had. Over the years he has suffered from many serious sinus infections, and had been given antibiotics for them.
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 05:50 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Quote:
Phoenix, before your husband got that infection, had he taken many antibiotics in his life?

L.R.R.Hood - Yes he had. Over the years he has suffered from many serious sinus infections, and had been given antibiotics for them.

Oh those darn sinus infections! My husband had to have septum surgery for that to get those infections to stop. He knew he couldn't just keep taking the antibiotics.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 05:57 am
L.R.R.Hood- For my husband, the septum operation was only the beginning. He has had about 4 operations on his sinuses subsequently!
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 05:58 am
Is it allergies? And if so, have you considered moving to an area where he doesn't have allergy problems?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 10:00 am
I am not so sure that any one individual's taking of antibiotics affect his or her own chances of having a bacteria that then won't respond to antibiotics.
I guess it can happen for the one person who has the mutation for resistance happen in his body, but often the bacteria are already resistant.

I think it is the mass of folks, and I agree, animals too, that are taking great quantities of an antibio that affect the mutation of a given bacteria into a one that will be unresponsive to whatever is the current best antibio for those bacteria. Not that the antibiotics cause the mutation, as mutation just happens, I think it is at a general rate of 1 in a 1,000,000, but when one of those mutations happens at a genetic location that lets one bacteria not be responsive, then that bacteria lives long enough to reproduce its strong, uh, progeny. With that happening enough, other people then get infected by the unresponsive-to-current-antibio bacteria.

Plus, I hear a lot that not taking one's full dose of antibiotic, once you are taking them, enough to do the job, say over fourteen days, will promote this kind of situation as well, and a lot of people don't stay the course of treatment. So, again, with masses of people doing that, there is increased chance of one mutation somewhere working out for bacterial survival.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 10:08 am
Quote:
The main culprit may be the over-use of antibiotics in the production of meat animals. This is estimated to be 70% of ALL antibiotic use and runs up to millions of kilograms each year. The net result is the exposure of micro-organisms to substances that only encourage them to develop resistance.

Yes. I feel like I'm repeating myself, but I've talked to a veterinarian and neurologist from Sweden who is utterly horrified at the use of antibiotics in the dairy industry (we're in a dairy state). Farmers can get antibiotics without prescription or education.
0 Replies

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 11:19 am
"Farmers can get antibiotics without prescription or education." What??? That's obscene!
Wow.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 11:28 am
having been a small farmer/racher most of my life I have always been able to buy antibiotics at the local ranch supply store.
0 Replies

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 11:33 am
Dys, what do you think about that?
And did you use them for sick animals, or on a regular basis as prevention?
How are there not some regulations about that?
(as if I really need to ask!)
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 11:42 am
no regs that I know of- I mostly used then for new born calves with scours
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 12:10 pm
In dairy, an infected quarter means lost production, so there is a strong financial incentive to administer antibiotics rather than wait for it to clear up on its own.
0 Replies

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 12:18 pm
I know, I do understand that, but why not just take the sick cows out of production for a while? maybe there would be a financial loss, but what are our priorities? National health or an extra few gallons of what some would consider tainted milk? Dairy is already subsidized and there are price controls on milk, aren't there? And don't we have cheese up the ying-yang in storage?
I realize it's a complicated issue but one that I think needs to be readdressed.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 12:22 pm
Quote:
I know, I do understand that, but why not just take the sick cows out of production for a while?

$$

Quote:
maybe there would be a financial loss, but what are our priorities?

$$

Quote:
Dairy is already subsidized and there are price controls on milk, aren't there?

Yup. But that doesn't make up to the individual farmer for lost production.

Quote:
And don't we have cheese up the ying-yang in storage?

If all milk production stopped today, the gov't has enough powdered milk to maintain current consumption levels for two and a half years.
0 Replies

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 01:03 pm
Again, I think our own need for the quick fix (and $) will be our ultimate doom.
Another example is energy. We should be spending now to find alternative, renewable sources.
Instead we'll wait til the boiling point.
0 Replies

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 02:32 pm
My sister sent me this, figured I'd post it here as an interesting FYI, for what it's worth:
Drinking two glasses of Gatorade can relieve headache pain almost immediately--without the unpleasant side effects caused by traditional pain relievers." (Free ad?) ___________________________

Did you know that Colgate toothpaste makes an excellent salve for burns

Before you head to the drugstore for a high-priced inhaler filled with mysterious chemicals, try chewing on a couple of curiously strong Altoids peppermints. They'll clear up your stuffed nose.

Achy muscles from a bout of the flu? Mix 1 Tablespoon of horseradish in 1/2 cup of olive oil. Let the mixture sit for 30 minutes, then apply it as a massage oil, for instant relief for aching muscles.

Sore Throat?? Just mix 1/4 cup of vinegar with 1/4 cup of honey and take 1 TBSP six times a day.. The vinegar kills the bacteria.

Cure urinary tract infections with Alka-Seltzer. Just dissolve two tablets in a glass of water and drink it at the onset of the symptoms. Alka-Seltzer begins eliminating urinary tract infections almost instantly--even though the product was never been advertised for this use.

Eliminate puffiness under your eyes... All you need is a dab of preparation H, carefully rubbed into the skin, avoiding the eyes. The hemorrhoid ointment acts as a vasoconstrictor, relieving the swelling instantly.

Honey remedy for skin blemishes... Cover the blemish with a dab of honey and place a Band-Aid over it. Honey kills the bacteria, keeps the skin, sterile, and speeds healing. Works overnight.

Listerine therapy for toenail fungus.... Get rid of unsightly toenail fungus by soaking your toes in Listerine mouthwash. The powerful antiseptic leaves your toenails looking healthy again.

Easy eyeglass protection.... To prevent the screws in eyeglasses from loosening, apply a small drop of Maybelline Crystal Clear nail polish to the threads of the screws before tightening them.

Coca-Cola cure for rust... Forget those expensive rust removers. Just saturate an abrasive sponge with Coca Cola and scrub the rust stain. The phosphoric acid in the coke is what gets the job done.

Cleaning liquid that doubles as bug killer.... If menacing bees, wasps, hornets, or yellow jackets get in your home and you can't find the insecticide, try a spray of Formula 409. Insects drop to the ground instantly.

Smart splinter remover... just pour a drop of Elmer's Glue all over the splinter, let dry, and peel the dried glue off the skin. The splinter sticks to the dried glue.

Hunt's tomato paste boil cure.... cover the boil with Hunt's tomato paste as a compress. The acids from the tomatoes soothe the pain and bring the boil to a head.

Balm for broken blisters... To disinfect a broken blister, dab on a few drops of Listerine.... a powerful antiseptic & Heinz vinegar to heal bruises.... Soak a cotton ball in white vinegar and apply it to the bruise for 1 hour. The vinegar reduces the blueness and speeds up the healing process.

Kills fleas instantly. Dawn dish washing liquid does the trick. Add a few drops to your dog's bath and shampoo the animal thoroughly. Rinse well to avoid skin irritations. Goodbye fleas.

Rainy day cure for dog odor... Next time your dog comes in from the rain, simply wipe down the animal with Bounce or any dryer sheet, instantly making your dog smell springtime fresh.

Eliminate ear mites.... All it takes is a few drops of Wesson corn oil in your cat's ear. Massage it in, and then clean with a cotton ball. Repeat daily for 3 days. The oil soothes the cat's skin, smothers the mites, and accelerates healing.

Vaseline cure for hair balls... To prevent troublesome hair balls, apply a dollop of Vaseline petroleum jelly to your cat's nose. The cat will lick off the jelly, lubricating any hair in its stomach so it can pass easily through the digestive system.

Quaker Oats for fast pain relief.... It's not for breakfast anymore! Mix 2 cups of Quaker Oats and 1 cup of water in a bowl and warm in the microwave for 1 minute, cool slightly, and apply the mixture to your hands for soothing relief from arthritis pain.

(Don't know which if any are true!)
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 06:42 pm
the reincarnation of suzy wrote:
I know, I do understand that, but why not just take the sick cows out of production for a while? maybe there would be a financial loss, but what are our priorities? National health or an extra few gallons of what some would consider tainted milk? Dairy is already subsidized and there are price controls on milk, aren't there? And don't we have cheese up the ying-yang in storage? I realize it's a complicated issue but one that I think needs to be readdressed.

They aren't given to make sick animals better. They are given in order to boost growth rates and act as a prophalactic (to prevent diseases) - the rationale being that the animals are 'table-ready' earlier.

A general Google search of the terms 'antibiotic' and 'livestock' will get you some relevent information. Here's one to begin with:

USDA paper
0 Replies