I NEED A GOOD RECIPE TO COOK UP A FRESH FRESH WATER FISH

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2015 05:33 pm
Caught me some trout this Afternoon. Caught 6, kept 2 . Both are about 10 inches and look kinda meaty. I cleaned em and scaled em (very small scales but left the heads on. ANYTHING EASY nd tasty.
Dont like trout almondine.

View best answer, chosen by farmerman
ossobuco

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2015 05:38 pm
@farmerman,
real trout, sigh.

I'm not expert but will be listening.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2015 05:40 pm
@farmerman,
well, real "hatchery trout" , In pa the real native trout is farther north in Northern aLncaster county and its all catch and release for native trout south of dauphin county and East of Adams (We have special regs for trout. Thats why all "keeper" trout are hatchery raised
0 Replies

ehBeth
  Selected Answer

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2015 05:41 pm
@farmerman,
grilled

stuffed with lemon and parsley

___

I like fish pretty much straight up - fried or grilled. 5 minutes on the panini grill and its ready.

here is Jamie Oliver's take

2 x 300 g whole trout, from sustainable sources, ask your fishmonger, scaled, cleaned and gutted
olive oil
sea salt
freshly ground black pepper
1 large bunch fresh flat-leaf parsley, leaves picked and chopped
2 lemons, 1 zested and sliced, 1 halved
a few knobs butter

Preheat your grill to full whack. Slash each trout with a knife, about ten times on each side. Each slash should be about 0.5cm/¼ inch deep. Rub the trout with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Stuff the cavities with plenty of chopped parsley and the lemon slices. Place the fish side by side on a baking rack over a roasting tray.

Put the lemon zest on top of the fish and place the lemon halves on the tray too. Dot the trout with the butter and place it 15cm/6 inches from the grill. Cook for around 6 minutes on each side until crispy and golden.

Squeeze the roasted lemon over the top of the fish and serve with a simple crunchy side salad.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/fish-recipes/grandad-ken-s-crispy-grilled-trout-with-parsley-and-lemon/#Q5ywHR2deYhlTRtv.97
farmerman

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2015 05:43 pm
@ehBeth,
like under a broiler? I think that Id have to oil em up if I broiled em.

Ive had smoked but Thts just for snacking
ehBeth

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2015 05:43 pm
@ehBeth,
we did this for an open house years ago - with lemon, lime and orange slices

it was easy and quick to make for a big crowd (3 panini grills running at once) and well-received
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2015 05:44 pm
@ehBeth,
mmm a panini thingy. Excellent-we only used ours once and I hate muffelatas anyway.
jcboy

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2015 05:47 pm
We're gathering the clan for dinner out tonight but I'll post mine later Razz
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2015 05:48 pm
@farmerman,
I use my panini grill for fish (4 - 6 minutes) and chicken (6 - 8 minutes for boneless chicken breasts) and pork chops (4 - 6 minutes)

It's especially wonderful for chicken breasts - I like the hash marks - I follow them to slice the chicken for salad. Can't get any faster or easier.

Fish is stupid fast on the panini grill - heat from both sides at once - and if you've got a good grill, the grill plates will pretty much wipe clean

the panini grill is also good for stuffed grilled cheese which I live for when it's cold and rainy (but forget the stupid fat buns - too bready)
ehBeth

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2015 05:51 pm
@farmerman,
Jamie O oils them and does them under a broiler.

If it's your first time using a panini grill, I'd start just using one side til you're comfortable with the heat and timing.
farmerman

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2015 05:51 pm
@ehBeth,
this is opening a whole new dimension of cooking.
farmerman

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2015 05:54 pm
@ehBeth,
well, we used to make muffelatas till we both gagged at the thought of em. I think Mrs F made grilled cheese when I was in the field.
Our cleans up rel good cause its practically new and hardly been used.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2015 05:54 pm
@farmerman,
it's the best of lazy girl cooking Wink

years ago I had a grill with interchangeable grill plates - one set was for waffles - I got really good at doing chicken breasts on the waffle iron - people marvelled at the perfect little chicken squares in my salad Laughing
farmerman

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2015 06:02 pm
@ehBeth,
Our panini only has two different sets of grills. One is a ridge-like thing and the other is not (Its two flat plates of iron)
ehBeth

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2015 06:06 pm
@farmerman,
for the most part I use the ridged grill

more ideas for the panini press

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/19/panini-press-hacks-my-oh-my_n_5687653.html

http://www.thekitchn.com/more-than-sandwiches-10-ways-to-use-a-panini-press-every-day-183168

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/quick-brined-pork-chops-with-fruit-compote-and-smashed-potatoes.html

http://www.livestrong.com/article/465222-how-to-grill-fish-on-a-panini-maker/

I like that last one - 1. turn on grill 2. oil grill 3. season fish 4. grill
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2015 08:54 am
Lately I’ve been using house autry fish breader. Discovered it one day at the market. It’s quite delicious, goes great with chicken too.

Fried in a little olive oil with lemon juice on top.

http://oi59.tinypic.com/npfnef.jpg
farmerman

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2015 11:51 am
@jcboy,
Ill have to see whether we have that stuff back east. Theres a MAINE fish breding that is mostly busted up saltines and its great too.

I made the fish for a sunday brunch ala ebeths panini grill recipe. IT were delicious.
Easter is a holiday for others, we are doing gardening work.
We didnt go 100 miles to be with family today. I mean cmon, were celebrating the creation of a zombie
ehBeth

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2015 12:04 pm
@farmerman,
I hope you're thinking of the panini grill differently now Very Happy

I'm going to follow one of the ideas I saw yesterday and try grilling peaches on it next week.

___

no gardening here - it's been snowing lightly since late yesterday afternoon
farmerman

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2015 01:00 pm
@ehBeth,
definately. Thanks. I told my wife that we are not as creative as we thought.
lattkes, baked on a panini grill.

she thought of fruit pasties
0 Replies