Bill still wont admit the truth

buffytheslayer

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 12:57 am
What difference does it make about the status of his law license? A former president in modern times would not return to practicing law nor try a case before SCOTUS. The five year suspension was wordplay only. What punishment should Bush I have received for flying off the handle when a reporter questioned him about Jennifer Fitzgerald? All this nonsense over consensual infidelity defies logic.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 01:20 am
This post was almost as long as the book it's self Wink In any case, I just finished the book. I thought it was great and it sounds like he has come to terms with what he did with Monica. He's not proud of it but what else can he say. He did it because he could. Good enough answer for me.

There was a hell of a lot more to his presidency. Monica is just a small part of it. I wish people would just get over it. Republicans are so funny...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 01:26 am
All the world's a little queer, excepting thee and me - and even thee's........
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 02:15 am
everyones lies... especially the politicians...its in their job description Smile
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 04:30 am
dlowan wrote:
I think Clinton is a flawed man - (here's a clue - I also think I am a very flawed woman) - the issue for me is did his PERSONAL flaws affect his presidency?

When I see the degree of utter inability to be honest that was demonstrated in that Rather/Clinton interview, I cant help thinking that here's a flaw that must have affected other areas of his politicking as well. Not that he's lying per se - but that he's apparently unable to sincerely see his own mistakes, at all -- the dissembling thats going on when he turns his "confessions" into just so many more attempts at putting himself in some relative good light or attacking his attackers -- its not a reassuring thing to see in a President. Just like its not reassuring to see it in Bush - that utter inability (more than just unwillingness) to see and admit mistakes, instead coming out with stuff that sounds like some big confession but is just another deflection of criticism - its frightening.

But all that is just my personal feelings about it. On the bottom line, of course, I agree with you - none of the above is any ground for any legal proceedings or anything, unless or until that flaw can be shown to affect actual political decisions -- cause policy mistakes, scandals, disasters. As it has with Bush. If all we have to go on is proof that the flaw clearly shows up in his personal life, I think its reason to be suspicious about the guy, but not for any kind of political proceedings.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 06:35 am
I watched Clinton with Larry King last night and of course the subject came up. He revealed something about himself that I thought explained a lot.

When he was younger he lived in an alcoholic home. (as I currently do so I know where he is coming from) He said he learned to put a wall between that reality that allowed him to do all the things that he wanted to do in school and elsewhere. However the stress of keeping that wall up would get to him and so he started doing things to lessen that stress all the while still doing his school activities and other functions that he wanted to accomplish. He said that after the shut down he was experiencing much of the same stress and handled it the way he always had.

To me this explains his many affairs and still managing to be a successful person.

However, after the monica lewinsky thing and hillary and chelsea got so mad and disappointed with him, he started seeing a therapist about it and has worked through his problems and it was through that therapy that he realized that he done that all his life under stress. You all got to admit that he does seem more content now than he did before.

I was going to wait until our local library finally gets around to getting the book, but now I am going to go out and buy it myself.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 08:14 am
Has anyone asked the question of " what if he DIDNT get his b/j ???"" Maybe we were on the verge of WWIII and since he got his 'release' he decided not to kill an entire country.. hehehehhee Twisted Evil
Im kidding of course.
But since when did someones sexual orientation have anything to do with wether or not they can perform a certain job???? Last I heard , judging someones job abilities on thier sexual behavior was prejudiced. And punishable by law... hmm....

I feel bad for any president frankly. Imagine for one minute.. being in his shoes. His wife hearing all kinds of crap from EVERYONE else but you, just learning that you cheated on her wich you feel like sh..t for anyways, and having world WIDE tabloids exploiting your affair so your entire family, every person you ever met in your LIFE has now heard about you getting your jollies off in the office with someone other then your wife.
When he answers ' Because I could ' when asked why he did it? I think that is the most honest damn answer any man could give.
What would you rather hear?? " Oh, I was feeling sorry for myself, going through depression, I was drunk" etc...??
I think not.
He has tainted the Clinton name forever. His wife will now feel the reprocussions of his infidelity in her career for the rest of HER life....
I think he has 'served' his time on this one and I wish everyone would leave him alone.
The same for George bush. I hate the man personaly. BUT in the news today everyone is starting to whisper and hint at his drug use from 20 years ago!!! JEEEZZZEEE he isnt even the same person anymore. Everyone makes stupid decisions when they are young. Why does his drug use that is NOT Happening now , have anything to do withwether or not he should be re-elected?
I think he should be taken out of office simply because he is an idiot with a 20 point IQ. He is doing too much of his 'fathers unfinished business' and has not made a single decision with out his fathers hand up his rear end lik ehis own personal Howdy Doody doll...

>sigh<

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

I talk too much. hehehe Shocked
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 09:29 am
shewoldnm, It really turns me on when you type real slow.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 07:17 pm
Did you read the part in the book where he says that someone working for Bush Sr sent a messenger to threaten Clinton before he would run in '92. He said they told him that they couldn't attack him on his record so they would destroy him personally. They told him if he waited till 2006 to run they wouldn't do it, but if he ran in 1996 his political career would be over.

I believe him. He said the Bush administration feels like they are owed the presidency and that they don't understand that they are actually serving the people.

He pointed out how the Republican party started it's corruption when Jerry Falwell and his followers wormed their way into the party. To me Jerry Falwell was the beginning of the end for free America.

The republicans play on the naive nature of Christians to lie and deceive the people for their political pull. They know that the average American will believe anything they are told.

I wouldn't be surprised if this Michael Moore guy ends up in a ditch somewhere...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 07:37 pm
Jack Ryan's out of the race ...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 07:43 pm
Fantastic, she said bitterly - AND the kid has presumably suffered.

I wonder what his POLICIES and public record were like? I wonder how he did his jobs?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 07:48 pm
Im not surprised that the Bush family went after anyone frankly. Espically clinton. They knew he would replace Bush SR .
honestly, the bush family scares me.
Too much power, too much arrogance, to much cocaine. hehehehe
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 06:22 am
revel, If you care to believe that Clinton didnt lie under oath, I cannot convince you further, since my post enumerating the individual lies was a precis of a very long evidentiary article that came out of a govt web site. Thats not the real point. The gOP had been trying to skewer Clinton almost from day one of his first administration. They continually failed and proved nOTHING , until, by his own "happy pants" habits, he gave them something to justify the 80+ million dollars (approx final count of the Starr efforts)spent on the Special Prosecutor' office.

In the impeachment trial,The Senate, after considering all the evidence on the articles, overwhelmingly voted for acquittal. They didnt want to make that "step of last resort as envisioned by the framers of the Constitution". They didnt want to vote to remove Clinton for something as recognizably petty as a lie about a stupid adolescent act.
They recognized their hypocrisy, that, if the 2/3 vote would have passed. at that time, GOP members of Congress were already falling left and right in similar morals cases. They couldnt, in good concience, attempt to unseat a president when ,at least 2 members of the jury were in the same fix.

The real point, for me, is, now that weve got a benchmark of what isnt an iacceptable issue to throw the country into a Constitutional crisis, should we now reconsider similar charges on an administration that clearly lied to the American people, showed contempt of Congress , obstructed justice, and engaged us in a premptive war with little justification. ? I think the comparisons are universes apart
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 06:47 am

CNN notes:

Quote:
Two things make this sex scandal breathtakingly unconventional, and it is not the whips and cages:

The people in question were

married.

And:

No sex occurred.

This may be the first sexless sex scandal to bring down a politician. Ryan is being punished for kinky thoughts he denies thinking. Talk about the pain of unrequited love.

The rest of that report brings up a curious take on the affair - the affair between husband and wife that is, not the political one. Ryan's wife was the actress who played Seven of Nine in Star Trek. Sex symbol. Writer suggests that, in taking her to sex clubs three times in a row (apparently hoping for some kinky action even tho she'd said she was horrified at the thought right after the first time), he may have been victimized by how he might himself have been confusing the actual person he was married to with the roles she played throughout her acting career:

Quote:
The great irony of this political scandal is that Jeri Ryan apparently is not a sex pot, she just plays one on television. Unfortunately, even her husband may have miscast her in the role. In the spring of 1998, the Los Angeles Daily News asked Jeri Ryan if Seven of Nine was her alter ego. She laughed. "My husband wishes it were," she said. "He thinks she's the perfect woman, meaning she looks good in a cat suit, is efficient and always on time."

"She is cast in roles where she's going to be the object of desire," says Robert Thompson, professor of popular culture at Syracuse University. "One of the things she was being asked to play by her husband was the kind of role she plays professionally, demonstrating there is a difference between human beings and the roles they play."
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 06:47 am
farmer man

I agree completely with you last statement.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 06:51 am
nimh

To me that whole thing seems a little unfair. I don't understand the big deal about a man asking his wife to have relations in public. Personally I am uncomfortable kissing in public, but I mean this just seems silly.

However, it really didn't matter, he was way behind in the polls anyway.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 07:04 am
I think it matters as an ongoing part of US political culture.
0 Replies