What is WRONG With Walmart Stores

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2015 10:20 am
This is what they say

Quote:
1. Many Wal-Mart stores lack cleanliness and tidiness.

"We want this year to be the year of improving our stores," Foran said, according to a transcript of his remarks. "So by the time we hit holiday season, our stores are clean, tidy, well merchandised and run by engaged associates. Today in the main, we’re not."

2. Stores aren't restocking shelves fast enough. "We’ve got too much inventory in the back rooms and our processes are not where we want them to be and that’s causing some undue shrinkage and some out-of-stocks," Foran said.

The company has already started to implement some changes to fix these issues, such as marking down foods that are nearing their expiration date to reduce the amount of food that goes to waste.

3. Store layout and design compromises customer convenience and space in some cases.

"Both Supercenters and Neighborhood Markets have potential to be better" when it comes to layout, design, lighting, and even store temperature, Foran said.

"Some of the stores recently opened in our opinion are not quite as good as ones that we had opened in previous years," he said.

4. Digital services need to be integrated with physical stores.

For example, Wal-Mart wants to expand its service allowing customers to order groceries online for in-store pickup and delivery.

5. The retailer needs to improve traffic-driving side businesses like gas, care clinics and financial services.
"We have a mindset that we are building scalable profitable businesses whilst driving additional traffic to our stores," he said. "Consider how important pharmacy is to Supercenters and Neighborhood Markets as a traffic driver."

6. Prices aren't always as low as competitors'.

"While we have pockets of leadership [on price], in more competitive markets, our gain is too small," Foran said.

7. The brand needs to offer a wider product assortment in general merchandise, fresh produce, grocery and private label.

"When we get the assortment right, we know that the customers respond," Foran said.

8. The Bentonville, Arkansas headquarters needs to be focused on customer service.

"Our job at the home office in Bentonville is to serve the stores to in turn serve customers. Sam Walton, founder of our business based on this principle," Foran said. "But to be frank, in some recent years, we’ve slipped a little away from this. We’ve recently undertaken some important activities to simplify our organization and empower our stores, our associates in our stores to make decisions, but [there's] more to do."

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/wal-mart-ceo-reveals-companys-202910891.html

I dont go to Walmart for one main reason....it takes too long to shop there. Walking through the huge parking lot, then the huge store, then waiting forever at the check out because they dont hire enough people and the ones they do have tend to work kinda slow. To me the checkout problem is a part of reasons # 1 , #2 and #8, which boils down to a lack of investment in labor. I was reading somewhere that in recent years Walmart has been running their stores with less than 70% of the employee hours that they used to use for the same amount of movement of merchandise, which looks good on quarterly financial reports but poor staffing hurts the business long term.

What say you, why dont you shop there more. or at all?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 2,363 • Replies: 11
No top replies

roger

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2015 02:28 pm
@hawkeye10,
Hah! I used to buy my watches, watch bands, and batteries there. They were always ready to replace batteries and band for free if you bought them there. This week, I needed both new watch and the woven band I like. Nobody at the jewelry counter, and not one single band on display.

Obviously, this was a money loser as it could take 5 to 15 minutes of their time on what might be a $15 sale, but it got me in the door and usually with a list of things I consider Walmart items. I'll see what's going on at K-Mart in a little while, but they never seem to stock the band I like.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2015 03:32 pm
@roger,
In my local store they seem to have years ago destaffed the automotive, electronics and paint areas as well. The fabric section I think they flat out got rid of. Not sure about photo, I think there might still be someone around for that. I also tend to notice carts and carts of clothes from the fitting rooms to be put back away, nobody seems to get to it.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2015 03:38 pm
@hawkeye10,
There aren't very many Walmarts in Oregon so it isn't a place I really even think of going. Since I've only been in their stores a couple of times I'm not sure if my experience is true across the board but I found the store visually confusing. Something about the height of their shelves along with their directional signage and poor lighting made the whole place feel chaotic. The Wallgreen's near my house has the same "noise" going on so I don't like to shop there either.

I don't like to shop much in the first place. I guess I'm willing to pay a little more to not have to face that visual onslaught.

Plus, I think the Waltons are creeps.
roger

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2015 03:45 pm
@boomerang,
I've sort of the same feeling. If you know exactly where you are going you find they've arranged things so you can't follow a direct route. Instead, you get the grand tour of everything that just might strike your fancy.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2015 03:49 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:
the grand tour

when one of my best friends goes to our hometown her mother always wants to be taken to Walmart for just that ^^^ reason. Madeleine loves the grand tour.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2015 03:52 pm
@roger,
at least they dont do like Costco and move stuff around the store to different locations so that you have to search for it. The plan is that we will find other stuff we want (impulse buys) as we look. Me? It just pisses me off. I think this shows a lack of respect for my time.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2015 03:52 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
I guess I'm willing to pay a little more

the reality is that the pricing isn't that great overall

many things are higher priced than other stores - then there is the fact that for several product lines you can't even comparison shop as manufacturers make a second line for Walmart. lightwizard talked a few times about the lower grade lightbulbs made especially for Walmart by some major brand name. I recall the same thing with Levis (or was it Lee Jeans? I'd have to google to be sure) where the jeans you got in Walmart were not made of the same quality fabric and had lower grade buttons/zippers/thread than their main line available everywhere else.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2015 03:55 pm
@hawkeye10,
On thing my store just stopped doing is jamming the isles full of crap making it hard to get through the store. It also made the store look very cluttered. Here the stores were designed to have these grand avenues to walk down, and they decided to park stuff right in the middle so that we would see it and maybe buy it. Again, all it did was piss me off, because with all the people with carts it was very slow trying to pass through.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2015 03:58 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
several product lines you can't even comparison shop as manufacturers make a second line for Walmart.
I learned this the hard way with microwaves about a decade ago. Brands I trusted bought from Walmart broke fast. Turns out that they make a cheaper made product for Walmart exclusively. Costco has the same kind of thing, but with Costco extras are removed to save costs, the core product is made to normal standards.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2015 08:18 am
Walmart was the only place I could find my mother the snap front "housecoats" she wanted.

I bought my "throw away" clothes there before I traveled to Italy last year. They were so cheap, I didn't care if I lost them or left them behind.

Other than that, I really don't frequent the store. It's too large; I have to plan a 1/2 day excursion.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2015 10:00 am
@PUNKEY,
Quote:
Other than that, I really don't frequent the store. It's too large; I have to plan a 1/2 day excursion.
they are currently building small stores, I think they call them "neighborhood shops". my town has one but I have not been in it.

This idea of shrinking store size is a post Great Recession trend, done to save costs and because online merchandising continues to eat up brick and mortar operations.
0 Replies