absolute

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2015 06:50 am
Would anybody like to explain the grammatical structure of the following sentence?

"Being an adjective or pronoun that stands alone when the noun it modifies is being implied but not stated."

1) What does mean "Being an adjective or pronoun"? Please give some examples. With these examples, I will practice more and more to learn it clearly.

2) How "it modifies" is related to the other parts of this sentence? Would anybody like to give some examples of such type relation that will help me to understand this fact clearly?

( In case of my last question, in my last sentence, I wanted to indicate "examples" with "that". Is 'that' indicating to 'examples'? If it indicates to 'relation', how to write this sentence to indicate 'examples' with 'that' instead of 'relation'?)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 678 • Replies: 2
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2015 11:42 am
@Nousher Ahmed,
It's a terrible sentence Ahmed, with several possible meanings, depending upon whether it's supposed to be a complete sentence itself…

…where the writer is suggesting his respondent's question or comment is answered by a phrase starting another paragraph somewhere describing the status of adjectives and pronouns and beginning with the phrase, " 'Being….it modifies….' is being implied." However if that's the case the phrase should have ben enclosed in quotes

….or more likely the "sentence" you give us, Ahmed, isn't a sentence but itself a phrase. With reference to some other unnamed sentence or phrase containing a part of speech that can stand alone whenever the noun it modifies is clearly implied by the context:

"...who at the threat of a storm rushed to the storefront overhanging provision". where the adjective might otherwise modify "retractible awning"

Been a pleasure Ahmed though this single effort hasd so worn me out I'm hoping some of our more patient participants might be of further help

0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2015 05:34 pm
This is a HORRIBLE sentence, but here goes:

"Being an adjective or pronoun that stands alone when the noun it modifies / is being implied . . . but . . .(it) / is not stated."

"but" is a conjunction, joining two parts

Meaning:
It is being implied but it is not stated.
0 Replies