article before what

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2015 04:13 am
Hello, everyone.

My question is about Relative Pronoun "what." Here is some example.

(1)"I think they got him with the old high-low," Miller said. That is the what you do against the Rams these days. You hit Miller high and Chandler low. (The Los Angels Times, Nov.14,1998)

(2)However, check the monthly payment quoted by the utility and compare it with the what you actually paid last year to ensure you are not over-paying. (The Observer, Jan. 11,1998)

(3) But if a copy of the what the famous science fiction writer didn't say didn't reach your mailbox, you can read now at... (The Guardian, Aug. 21, 1997)

As I quoted these example, there are the article in the sentences of Relatives. What are they? For native speakers, when you describe so?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 569 • Replies: 7
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2015 07:20 am
(1)"I think they got him with the old high-low," Miller said. That is the what you do against the Rams these days. You hit Miller high and Chandler low. (The Los Angels Times, Nov.14,1998)

(2)However, check the monthly payment quoted by the utility and compare it with the what you actually paid last year to ensure you are not over-paying. (The Observer, Jan. 11,1998)

(3) But if a copy of the what the famous science fiction writer didn't say didn't reach your mailbox, you can read now at... (The Guardian, Aug. 21, 1997)
Nousher Ahmed

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2015 09:13 am
@PUNKEY,
Would you like tell why 'the' has added before 'what'?

Which rules have you applied to find out the relation between 'high-low' and 'That' in first sentence, 'monthly payment' and 'it' in second sentence? I am really grateful to you for your help. Now I want to learn how to find out these types of relation.
McTag

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2015 03:05 pm
@Nousher Ahmed,

I think it's a mistake. It is unnecessary, and I think it is wrong. I would never use it like that.

There are legitimate phrases like "the why and the wherefore", but that is a different matter, to my way of thinking.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2015 03:56 pm
I think the first one is missing hyphens in a compound noun: “that’s the what-you-do-against-the-Rams-these-days.”
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2015 03:59 pm
Why is "Nousher" asking the exact same question, with the same 3 example quotes, that "Aspect" asked on Grammar Exchange on October 24, 2004?

http://thegrammarexchange.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/340600179/m/9191028551

Quote:
Hello, everyone.

My question is about Relative Pronoun "what." Here is some example.

(2)However, check the monthly payment quoted by the utility and compare it wiht the what you actually paid last year to ensure you are not over-paying. (The Observerer, Jan. 11,1998)

(3) But if a copy of the what the famous science fiction writer didn't say didn't reach your mailbox, you can read now at... (The Guarduan, Aug. 21, 1997)

As I quoted these example, there are the article in the sentences of Relatives.What are they? For native speakes, when you describe so?
I cannot sleep without knowing it. lol...

Also, I want to know books referring about it. If you know something, I'd like you to tell me.

Is someone "pulling our plonkers" as the Brits say?

McTag

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2015 02:29 am
@contrex,

Aha.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2015 06:36 am
@contrex,
Good catch.
It looks that A2K's English gurus are tested.
0 Replies