Do I have depression?

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2015 02:25 pm
Sometimes I feel like killing myself or just trying to cut myself. I don't know why I feel this way because I am a fairly happy person. I also feel as though I am not very good looking and am not attractive. I also think that I might have an issue with attention because many of the things that I do are for attention. For example: the way I act, my manorisms, etc. I don't know what is wrong with me or if there is anything wrong with me for that matter. Does anybody have any idea what I am going through. (By the way, I'm a boy going through puberty so it may just be the way it is supposed to be but I have no clue.) Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 1,071 • Replies: 9
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2015 03:26 pm
@anon123210,
Anon, you'll be okay (forgive the pun). Meanwhile there's 5-HTP, kava-kava, St John's wort, ginseng
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2015 03:31 pm
@anon123210,
Puberty is a time for a flood of emotions and if you don't have somewhere to put them, they gets internalized (taken inwards instead of out).

Time to figure out what you can do with all those feelings - which are now getting into anxiety, self-harm and attention seeking (acting out?)

Do you exercise, do sports, or some other physical thing? Are you in a healthy atmosphere at home? (supportive adults?) Do you have a best friend? What do you do for fun? How are your grades?

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2015 04:54 pm
@anon123210,
This sounds like depression. This is serious, and it is treatable. You don't have to feel this way.

Please talk to your doctor or to some responsible adult.

0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2015 05:01 pm
@anon123210,
It's entirely possible that you're depressed. You'll need a doctor to properly diagnose that, though. I urge you to speak with a responsible adult - parent, stepparent, older sibling, teacher, neighbor, clergy person, etc. - about how you're feeling. Life does and will get better.
0 Replies

andy31

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2015 11:58 pm
@anon123210,
Well, the bad news is, it might be very dangerous. Suicidal tendencies and self-harm or self-mutilation is described as neurobiologicall abnormalities in the frontolimbic networks (in the brain) and it affect mainly young people. The good news is, self awareness is 50% success in recovery. The mere fact you addressed your problem here, it's a very good news. Many teens refuse talk about it. What you have to do from here on, is to find a professional help, namely take a psychological evaluation test to pinpoint your problem. There might be some other tests you have to receive. The bottom line - don't count on going away on it's own.
Good luck to you.
0 Replies

dianef

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2015 06:59 pm
@anon123210,
Anon, thoughts of killing yourself or cutting yourself can be very serious. It is important to speak to a trusted adult about these feelings. The adult will probably suggest that you see a doctor (probably a psychiatrist) for a psychological evaluation. Talking to someone you trust about your problems will help tremendously.
0 Replies

HesDeltanCaptain

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2015 08:50 am
@anon123210,
There's differences between puberty, being bummed, and being clinical depressed. In the case of actually framing a wish to kill yourself, it's more likely to be clinical depression which has a neurological chemical imbalance going on than anything more trivial.

We're all hardwired to protect our own existence. To be able to actual try and kill ourselves means something's objectively out of balance in our brains.

Should contact a criss hotline or counsellor at school about it and get into treatment. It wont go away without assistance.
0 Replies

mark014

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2015 05:54 am
@anon123210,
During puberty, it is usual to go through a spurt of emotions and you are no different. However, you should not neglect and overlook these thoughts at times. Talk to your parents to the extent possible about any issue you feel within. It will help a lot. Besides take up some physical activity and indulge in sports.
0 Replies

donna downing

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2015 07:50 am
@anon123210,
Hi

Young people your age tends to think you're misunderstood and neglected, or incompetent and inadequate, and many more. That's why you try and hurt yourself or do things that can get the attention of others because you want to prove that you matter. I'm not saying that what's happening to you is done by you on purpose, it's just a possibility and maybe you just don't realize it yet.

Let me give yu some advice. Wise up and start thinking. If you are in control of this behavior then stop it immediately and if it seems to you that you are suffering from some sort of mental health issue then immediately consult a doctor. This are the responsible things that you can do.

Instead of worrying about your looks, you should be thinking about your studies. Unless of course you have a high degree of narcissism in which you should really consult a psychologist. You're young so early diagnosis and treatment is vital do that you can overcome this problems now and have a better future.
0 Replies