On 9/11, a Telling Seven-Minute Silence; Bush image focus

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 01:32 pm
On 9/11, a Telling Seven-Minute Silence
Interpreting the President's Image in Crisis
By Joel Achenbach
Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, June 19, 2004; Page C01

You're at a photo op, reading a book with schoolchildren and an aide suddenly whispers that a second plane has hit the World Trade Center. "America is under attack."

You're the president of the United States. What do you do?

There have been other moments like this in American history, when the chief executive was suddenly plunged into a crisis, but they weren't caught on videotape. George W. Bush was on camera in an elementary school in Sarasota, Fla. He could see the pagers of reporters and photographers going off, one by one. He was on the spot like few people have ever been.

From two different angles, Americans have new glimpses of that historic moment. One comes from rabble-rousing Michael Moore, whose Bush-eviscerating film "Fahrenheit 9/11" premieres next week, and includes an uninterrupted seven-minute segment showing Bush's reaction after hearing the news of the attack. He doesn't move.

Instead he continues to sit in the classroom, listening to children read aloud. Moore lets the tape roll as the minutes pass painfully by.

And now from a second angle: The staff of the 9/11 Commission this week released a report that summarizes Bush's closed-door testimony about his thoughts as he sat there.

"The President told us his instinct was to project calm, not to have the country see an excited reaction at a moment of crisis . . . The President felt he should project strength and calm until he could better understand what was happening."

This moment will surely be used by the president's political opponents, and with equal fervor defended by his supporters. However it is interpreted, it points out a basic truth about any president: He's both an executive and a symbolic figure. He's the spiritual leader of the nation as well as the head of state. He's monarch and prime minister.

Sometimes he has to decide what role to take.

Presidential historian Robert Dallek of Boston University thinks Bush focused too much on appearances, rather than leaping into action.

"It speaks volumes about the preoccupation these politicians have about manipulating image," Dallek said yesterday. Bush should have immediately excused himself and started figuring out what was happening and what he could do. "The way to project calm and strength is to take care of business."

Douglas Brinkley, a presidential historian at the University of New Orleans, concurs: "I don't understand how one sits there. I just don't. Minutes are an eternity in that sort of situation. . . . A quick presidential decision may save lives."

Brinkley credits Bush with dusting himself off after a rough first day and regaining his composure. And he acknowledges that few presidents have had to endure such a Candid Camera moment. But Brinkley adds, "Character is not defined in good times, when you've been properly briefed, it's defined when you're in a desperate crisis situation."

Presidential scholar Fred Greenstein, a professor emeritus at Princeton, defends Bush's response in the initial minutes.

"It's made a little more complex by being in the presence of little kids," Greenstein said. "It certainly wouldn't present the right message if he turned white, rushed out, and kids started crying."

The commission report this week is not the first glimpse into Bush's thought processes in the critical minutes after the first planes crashed. Bush has previously told Bob Woodward, "They had declared war on us, and I made up my mind at that moment that we were going to war."

Eventually, at the suggestion of an aide, Bush got up and went to a holding room. He spoke briefly to the vice president, his national security adviser, the governor of New York and the head of the FBI, according to the commission report. Then, the report states, Bush spent roughly 15 minutes working on what he'd say to the cameras at the elementary school. He was acting as Communicator in Chief, in a sense. With his senior aides, he worked on his lines.

"As far as we know, no one was in contact with the Pentagon. The focus was on the President's statement to the nation. No decisions were made at this time, other than the decision to return to Washington," the report states. The president was persuaded to fly to Louisiana and then Nebraska before finally returning to the capital.

Presidents of an earlier era did not have to contend with so many cameras and microphones and the endless appetite for material to put on 24-hour cable news channels. Greenstein said that there are anecdotal reports that, after the attack on Pearl Harbor, FDR held his head in his hands and despaired of the future of his presidency. But that is not the image Americans retain of Roosevelt's reaction.

Instead we think of his powerful address to Congress the next day -- his "date which will live in infamy" speech.

Nor do we have tape of John F. Kennedy learning that the Soviets had placed missiles in Cuba. Sally Bedell Smith, author of a new book on the Kennedy White House, says that his national security adviser, McGeorge Bundy, didn't even pass the portentous news to Kennedy for about 12 hours. Kennedy had returned from an exhausting campaign trip. Bundy decided that "a quiet evening and a night of sleep were the best preparation" for the critical days ahead. As the crisis unfolded, Kennedy slept.

Americans did not see Lyndon Johnson's immediate reaction to the assassination of JFK. But Johnson, who had been in the same motorcade, made a quick image-conscious decision: Although he automatically became president upon Kennedy's death, he arranged to be sworn in on Air Force One with Jackie Kennedy at his side. The photograph of that moment became iconic, not so much because of the somber Johnson as for the shocked widow with blood on her dress.

"He wanted this as a symbol of his authority," Dallek said. "Jackie is at his side and she's giving legitimacy to his presidency."

Bush was conscious on Sept. 11 of the need, for symbolic reasons, to return to Washington, but was persuaded by the Secret Service, Cheney and other aides that the situation was too risky. Some critics, Dallek among them, say Bush should have overruled his aides. The commission report states that all participants agree that Bush argued forcefully for returning.

The commission report portrays a discombobulated government that can't even keep track of the hijacked planes. Fighter planes fly in the wrong direction, pilots have no idea why they're in the air (maybe a cruise missile attack?), orders don't get passed along the chain of command. Everyone's flying blind. The president borrows a cell phone to try to get through to the White House.

Symbolically and substantively, the ship of state was foundering.

But even the harshest critics concede that the nation's spiritual leader rallied in the days thereafter. His bullhorn performance on the rubble of the World Trade Center is considered a bravura moment. He made compelling appearances at the National Cathedral, before Congress, and in a news conference in the East Room of the White House. When professional baseball resumed play, he courageously walked to the mound in a crowded stadium and threw out the first pitch.

Some of these images will reappear in the months ahead as the election nears and the commercials begin to saturate the airwaves. The president has surely had some excellent moments.

And seven excruciating minutes.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,857 • Replies: 76
No top replies

doglover

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 01:53 pm
The President of the United States, as Commander In Chief, has as his first responsibility, to respond to disasters...especially an attack on our nation. Instead, Bush took the time to finish reading to the children so as not to traumatize them. WTF? Like seeing images of the planes flying into the towers wouldn't traumatize them? Rolling Eyes

Bush didn't even have the presence of mind to realize that he was a danger to the children in that school. Someone was attacking America...did Bush not think that he was a target at that time?

This fiasco just reinforces the fact that Bush is an incompetent idiot.

0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 01:57 pm
He should have been racing to the nearest phone booth to change into his super hero outfit and then flown off to save the day using his super powers.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 02:06 pm
And is it just possible that had the president jumped up and rushed off to 'see what could be done' rather than maintaining calm, he would have been accused of panicking? Dashing wild eyed and frantic from the room? That his behavior was most unstatesmanlike? Is it beyond belief that no reporter would have written it that way?

And can anybody say what any other person in the world would have done in that moment? Even yourself?

I think seven minutes is not sufficient time to either commend or condemn in this case.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 02:07 pm
McGentrix wrote:
He should have been racing to the nearest phone booth to change into his super hero outfit and then flown off to save the day using his super powers.

I'm not Superman (or Superwoman) :wink: McG and within six or seven minutes of the second plane hitting the tower I had managed to call my hubby to check on him and his whereabouts and called my dad to do the same.

Bush didn't have to run out of the classroom like the school was on fire. All he needed to do was excuse himself to the teacher and the children and quietly explain that there is a matter that needs his attention.

How hard would that have been? Confused
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 02:19 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
I think seven minutes is not sufficient time to either commend or condemn in this case.

Wrong, Fox. Sit in a chair and time yourself for seven minutes. While doing so, think that you've been told that the country is under attack and your the person who's the leader of this country.

Seven minutes is an appalingly long time in this instance.

McG, you can make all the stupid wise ass remarks you want about this one, but if you put ANY rational thought into this, you'll see the problem with Bush's actions. If you don't, you have more problems than any of us can help you with here.

This gets me particularly pissed because I was present firsthand at the attacks (heard the impacts, then watched the towers fall), and knowing that our president sat his ass in a chair and wasted time during this event infuriates me.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 02:21 pm
You know what gets me pissed? When lunkheads sitting in front of a computer think they would have done something different if they were wearing the presidential shoes that day. Why don't you give your hate a break and go for a walk?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 02:23 pm
Do you remember what you did in those particular seven minutes, McG? I do.

You can get a fair amount done in seven minutes if you need to.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 02:28 pm
This is easily one of the more insipid criticisms of Bush that is leveled against him.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 02:31 pm
JustanObserver wrote:

McG, you can make all the stupid wise ass remarks you want about this one, but if you put ANY rational thought into this, you'll see the problem with Bush's actions. If you don't, you have more problems than any of us can help you with here.

Bullshit. A pathetic emperor's new clothes ploy.

Many have, in fact, put "rational thought" into this and no do not see it the way you do. Trying to pretend you have the market cornered on rational thought might sound good to you but you can in no way substantiate that fanciful notion.
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 02:32 pm
McGentrix wrote:
You know what gets me pissed? When lunkheads sitting in front of a computer think they would have done something different if they were wearing the presidential shoes that day.

Regardless of what you think, I sure as hell wouldn't have sat in a chair listening to children read while knowing that my country was under attack.

McGentrix wrote:
Why don't you give your hate a break and go for a walk?

Rolling Eyes
I know, the truth hurts. No need to be snippy.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 02:34 pm
Has anyone here seen those seven minutes of footage? It's eerie beyond description. In order to close a coffin you need to drive in each nail one at a time.
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 02:38 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:

Blow me.

Craven de Kere wrote:
Many have, in fact, put "rational thought" into this and no do not see it the way you do. Trying to pretend you have the market cornered on rational thought might sound good to you but you can in no way substantiate that fanciful notion.

I'm not pretending anything, and PLENTY of people see a problem with Bush's leaping into nonaction upon being told we were under attack. You don't see anything wrong with what Bush did? Good for you. "Denial" isn't just a river in Egypt, I see.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 02:41 pm
Also if Bush had people 'whispering in his ear' what was happening, it is not unreasonable they also 'whispered in his ear' that they didn't know anything more and were awaiting word from 'whomever'. In this case he would have been quite proper to wait until they had the VP or whomever on the phone for him. When they did, he got up to talk to whomever. This, in my opinion, is the most likely MO.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 02:53 pm
JustanObserver wrote:
Craven de Kere wrote:

Blow me.

Read the Terms of Service. This is not AOL. Furthermore, reducing yourself to playground comebacks does nothing but degrade yourself.

Quote:
PLENTY of people see a problem with Bush's leaping into nonaction upon being told we were under attack.

I agree, some people do and some people don't. But you claimed that if one puts "ANY rational thought into this" they'll see it your way and that was merely an idiotic emperror's new clothes fallacy that you can't support and choose instead to reduce yourself to vulgarities.

Quote:
You don't see anything wrong with what Bush did? Good for you. "Denial" isn't just a river in Egypt, I see.

Man that saying sure received it's mileage.

No, I do not see anything wrong with it. What do you see that is wrong with it?

And spare me the "well if you can't see it I can't help you" nonsense. If you can't articulate your position it might be baseless partisanship.

So what is the basis of this complaint?

What exactly did you want Bush to do during those 7 minutes?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 02:59 pm
He was posing for his bust at Mt. Rushmore.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 03:02 pm
Or maybe he was mentally slaying hundreds of other would-be attackers.

Making stuff up is fun.
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 03:03 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
Read the Terms of Service. This is not AOL. Furthermore, reducing yourself to playground comebacks does nothing but degrade yourself.

Ask me if I care (Here's a hint: I don't). Your comment deserved that response.

Craven de Kere wrote:
What exactly did you want Bush to do during those 7 minutes?

What did I want him to do? SOMETHING. ANYTHING. He's the president of the United States, for Chrissakes! He's just been told the country he's in charge of is under attack!

He could easily have excused himself in order to start making phone calls, get information, etc.

But there's nothing wrong with wasting time while kids read to him, I suppose. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 03:03 pm
Those seven minutes were precious photo op time. Mad
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 03:09 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Also if Bush had people 'whispering in his ear' what was happening, it is not unreasonable they also 'whispered in his ear' that they didn't know anything more and were awaiting word from 'whomever'. In this case he would have been quite proper to wait until they had the VP or whomever on the phone for him. When they did, he got up to talk to whomever. This, in my opinion, is the most likely MO.

I do not know that foxfyer is correct here but I think this is a likely scenario. We need more information on what his staff was doing in those seven minutes. Often in a crises that best thing that can be done is to do nothing until you understand what is going on and can make reasonable rather than panicked decisions. This is not very good from a PR stand point but it is wise decision making.
0 Replies