layman

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2015 09:35 pm
@chai2,
Heh, who's Wally?
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2015 09:36 pm
@layman,
I grew up in the South, but not in the mountains. Some of those were common where I grew up, others I didn't hear until I moved to the mountains. For example, the only time I ever heard 'poke' used to mean 'bag' was in the expression, 'Don't buy a pig in a poke.' Outside that expression, we just 'bag.' When I got to the mountains, it was part of the vernacular outside that expression.
FBM

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2015 09:38 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

si-gogglin?

I say cattywumpus.

From Urban Dictionary....

TOP DEFINITION
cattywumpus
Skewed or sideways to, out of alignment.
Bubba, you got that manifold gasket in there all cattywumpus.

That's one (si-gogglin') was a new one to me, too. Cattywumpus or catty-cornered is what we used.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2015 09:40 pm
@FBM,
Quote:
Outside that expression, we just 'bag.'

It other regions its a "sack." Cotton pickers, for example, had a 10' long sack they dragged behind them until it was filled with cotton.
FBM

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2015 09:46 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

Quote:
Outside that expression, we just 'bag.'

It other regions its a "sack." Cotton pickers, for example, had a 10' long sack they dragged behind them until it was filled with cotton.

We used 'sack' for larger bags. Something the size of a cotton-picking sack, we'd call a 'tote sack,' or sometimes 'burlap sack.' (I picked cotton when I was a young 'un, by the way. It sucks.)
layman

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2015 09:52 pm
@FBM,
Quote:
a 'tote sack,'

Exactly. Something you tote (carry or drag) along with you.

Speaking of which, it was once common to use the word "carry" to simply mean "accompany." Carry your girl to the dance, for example.
FBM

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2015 09:57 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

Quote:
a 'tote sack,'

Exactly. Something you tote (carry or drag) along with you.

Speaking of which, it was once common to use the word "carry" to simply mean "accompany." Carry your girl to the dance, for example.

Yeah, I grew up saying that. When I moved to the mountains and asked a friend to 'carry me to the store,' he looked at me like I was crazy. He said something like, 'Man, I'll take you to the store. I'll give you a ride. But I ain't gone carry you nowhere.'
chai2

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2015 12:31 am
@FBM,
Wally always says he's got to carry so and so home.

He also says "laht bub"

FBM

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2015 12:44 am
@chai2,
How about 'bob wahr'?
layman

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2015 01:13 am
@FBM,
Yeah, it doesn't have to be a long, or hard to pronounce word, eh? I remember an interview they had with a good ole southern boy where they showed him a can of Quaker State Oil and asked him what it was. He said: "awl." Then they showed him a box of "All" laundry detergent, and asked him what that was. He said: "awl." They went back and forth several times---the answer was always "awl." Don't matter how the hell ya spell it, its awl awl.
FBM

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2015 01:20 am
@layman,
Yep. I had great aunts and uncles who would pronounce 'yes' with three syllables: yay-yeh-suh. I thought I spoke Southernese, but day-yahm they were hardcore.
layman

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2015 01:26 am
@FBM,
Quote:
Yep. I had great aunts and uncles who would pronounce 'yes' with three syllables: yay-yeh-suh

That's truly funny. Because it's true.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2015 02:51 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
Apparantly the way southerners speak has more in common (not including the accent) with Brits than any other region in the U.S.

I was listening to NPR, and they had a segment on Shakespeare being spoken in the original style that was being spoken at the time.

In the most recent series of "American Horror Story", the Kathy Bates character spoke with what is said by some to be a pretty good stab at a Baltimore accent. It was most odd to hear - having elements of Cockney, Southern English rural, and Dixie in it. Apparently this is partly because she is doing something called "fronting of back vowels", done in many British regional accents, but not so much in US speech except in a few places.

chai2 wrote:
Guess what? A lot of it actually rhymes.

A lot of what we know of how the Romans actually pronounced Latin has been derived from studies of writings of the time containing rhymes, puns, jokes and word play, complaints of young people and foreigners mangling the language etc. A very accessible book called "Vox Latina" by W. Sidney Allen has a lot about this. (You can Google for the complete PDF)
chai2

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2015 08:07 am
@contrex,
Interesting. I'll look that up.
0 Replies