Are cats smarter than dogs?

trespassers will

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 02:46 pm
Cats are smarter than dogs, but are less likely to do something useful with what intellect they possess. Cats are complex, emotional creatures for whom love and contempt are mutual terms. This is why they purr as they rub against your leg, and that of the table. They don't want either of you getting too cocky.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 02:56 pm
A dog I had once was very lovable, but dumb. If I'd open the back door to let him out and it was raining, he'd run to the front door and ask to be let out there, as if it might not be raining out that door.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 03:16 pm
Craven - the cat on top of the bed WANTS to be caught - and tumbled about - and played with! They are FLIRTS!

My cats would never fart around in front of an empty door frame - and they are so curious that I have to check the bags of any work-men before they leave here to make sure the cats haven't got in....
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 03:47 pm
deb,

The cat under the bed wants to be caught (it will meow at me till I chase her). The one on top[ of the bed is an older one and really seems to think that if she crouches on the bed I won't get her.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 04:02 pm
Hmmmmmmm - I wonder what her cunning plan is....
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 04:03 pm
Yes but nowhere near as smelly.

And you shouldn't allow cats on or even in (yuck) your bed.

Ok basic hygene lesson over.

We have been adopted by a visiting cat, who very graciously allows us to feed him (providing its cut up small enough), then without any sign of gratitude or even a cheery "bye for now", he walks out. Then next day or a day or so later, he's back demanding food (funny how he manages to get that message across), and you know what? we feed him. Now that sounds pretty smart to me.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 04:08 pm
or rather, dumb on our behalf
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 04:12 pm
'Tis all complementary....
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 04:22 pm
indeed dlowan

now I've told you before smoking is bad for rabbits. You really ought to set a better example to our four legged furry friends.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 04:27 pm
I don't care for cats at all but I guess they are smart creatures because they stay out of my way! I think they can tell I am not a cat-lover!

As for dogs, I adore them and don't care if they are stupid or smart. They make me happy.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 04:48 pm
I prefer to not get close to either. Too, much trama in the past - not a dislike. Lost another dog 18 months ago. Lost many in the past. Lost a few cats to sick individuals - those are too, too sad moments.

Currently with a dog and a cat - both as smart as a whip and have me and Mom wrapped around a claw!
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 04:49 pm
I weigh quite a lot, and dogs are smart enough to step aside. Cats flirt with accidental crushing death by snaking around my ankles when I'm walking through a room.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 04:52 pm
Don't they have wonderful faith in our ability to avoid them, even in the dark?
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 04:56 pm
They can see wonderfully in the dark, they don't plan on us avoiding them - they avoid us, and they have nine lives. What a wonderful life they live.

Roger, I think that they are probably trying to get you - ummm, yummy, yummy! Skin and bones but tough! Razz Razz Razz
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 05:34 pm
Read somewhere -- as usual, I don't remember where or even if it was a reliable source, but most trivial knowledge is just meant to make us happy, so if I want to think that wild chihuahuas hunt in packs, then I will think so -- that cats display superstitious behavior. If a particular sequence of events (i.e., marking cupboard door with scent, jumping on counter and immediately off, and walking between your feet) leads to food one time, a cat may repeat that sequence every time it wants to eat, even in the absence of future corroborating evidence that no food will come of this (or that food comes whether they do it or not).

If that is the case (and, again, I'm making no claim that it is), it shows that cats are very quick to learn and very reluctant to unlearn -- or to revise their previous position, as it were. A dog, on the other hand, may take a number of repitions of a sequence to realize what's supposed to come next, but they base this on some degree of observation, and if the exercise is no longer fruitful they may abandon it (though everybody knows the dog who is taught to shake hands and then spends the rest of its life flopping its paw into everyone's lap in the hopes of getting a little attention or food).
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 10:20 pm
patiodog wrote:
Er, is pueo really SkwerlX?

er, no. i believe the skwerlman hails from somewhere down georgia way. guam may not have much, but we are no georgia. we have some standards ya know.
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 12:18 am
Having lived with everything from a 220lb St Bernard who used to eat the kids' lunches while walking around the table to a dachsie with the worst breath and most terrible disposition - I feel qualified to say they are both dumb and smart.

But the cat we have now is the smartest. She is training my husband, but he doesn't know it.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 12:33 am
Un uh, BillW. They like me. Never mind how I know - I just do.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 09:43 am
<wags tail> I LIKES mouses! <prepares to lunge>
0 Replies

Sublime

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2003 10:08 pm
I have had both cats and dogs.

I love the ability to leave a cat for a day or two, and not have to get a sitter.

However, I am a dog person through and through.

A cat may barely acknowledge you, where a dog will greet you warmly after a trip to the mailbox.
0 Replies